• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

lengstar

HSC
i hate fanaticism of any kind whether its for a pop idol or a devine idol it's all the same to me. taking things a bit too far and should learn to lighten up. i wonder what happens if i punched out on of those christians. god will save them but i'll give them a brutal pounding before then.

KwIcKsAnDz

HSC
The more i learn about the nature of the world the less i believe that their is a god cause if there is hes doing a slack job right now

plus the fact that there are so many religons proclaming their faith is the true path i tend to get the idea that most were come up by some charismatic fool at his time who tricked some saps into believing whatever b.s he came up with at the time

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
since we're on the subject of christianity....can anyone tell me why all the hardcore christians always gang up on you??.....like I believe in God and Buddha....I actually believe that there is a supreme being up there that is so great and created us.... it doesn't matter what they're called....but in my school....Religious studies is so bad....let's call it Christian studies instead coz....first we learn about all different religions like buddhism and muslim etc. then the teacher's like..."oh...but that religion is incorrect....if you're not christian u go to hell!!!''....I was like "WHAT!!!"....I think it's so wrong to bag out other religions...people can believe what they want....

and another thing....I told the teacher to please stop criticizing other religions coz it's disrespectful and at least teach us about them so we can make our own choices .... I said all religions have a main message: "believe and respect our creator and be a moral and good person"....and she's like ''No! you have to believe in GOD!"....then the other goody-2-shoes christians fully gang up on me saying that it's a sin to question God ..... then they give me greasys all day....what's with dat??....I know not everyone is like dat but geezz....some people have got to open their minds a bit more....
I think it is important to look at the message of other religions....don't look at the believers (like some ppl say muslims are bad because of all the terrorists....but that's just a small group of ppl...I know some muslims that are so kind-hearted and wonderful) look at and understand their true message....then you'll understand that all religions have a pure and good core that is often covered with dirt or left unseen...
its because they are so sure and so enthusiastic about their religion. they can get and seem arrogant and appear that they think they are above everyone else.

what they forget is that if you arent a christian why should you have to live by christian values. you have different beliefs and i think as long as you keep your conscience clear your doing good to yourself/ or living your best . even though christians say only christians go to heaven there is no point saying that if the person theyre saying it to doesnt believe in it.

im a christian and i get preeched to if i go by other teens who think they are better christians. it really pisses me off and thats why im not churchy. i could do with out the churchy culture. i believe what i believe and im happy with that, but me personally i will NEVER speak down to someone cause they dont believe what i believe.

like you said christianity like other religions has a good core. in its case it is covered by an added church culture and its reputatino is shapen by its believers. if i wasnt a christian already i think i would find it very hard to be one by looking at what other christians can be like .but then there are some really good christian people who are very respectful of people of differetn faiths, but these people are less noticable cause they are less outspoken

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol...I think "They caaaall themselves a Christian" is my mothers favorite saying

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Iron woman said:
lol...I think "They caaaall themselves a Christian" is my mothers favorite saying
Those types of Christians are ones that I like to call "Advertising Christians," sure they might have good intentions, but they act in a way that they want to be commended by the public for their 'christian acts' and make themselves look like devout Christians. To me, the truely devout Christians are the ones that keep to themselves, do not advertise because, as Jesus said, those that do not get rewarded on Earth for acting in the true Christian manner, and sometimes even having to suffer, will get all the rewards in heaven. Whilst those that are rewarded on Earth will get no rewards in heaven

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
acmilan said:
Those types of Christians are ones that I like to call "Advertising Christians," sure they might have good intentions, but they act in a way that they want to be commended by the public for their 'christian acts' and make themselves look like devout Christians. To me, the truely devout Christians are the ones that keep to themselves, do not advertise because, as Jesus said, those that do not get rewarded on Earth for acting in the true Christian manner, and sometimes even having to suffer, will get all the rewards in heaven. Whilst those that are rewarded on Earth will get no rewards in heaven
yeh theres ppl like that from all relgions.......

budj

HSC
Um heres my beleif. God exists if you want him to exist (purely psychological), but dosen't if you don't want him to. I beleive god is a psychlogical mask you chuck on to make sense of the world. because it makes the person a better human by doing it, I say go for it. I am budhist by the way, and as a budhist, i do not beleive in a supremem creator and an architect. I think, therefore I am...

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
lukebennett said:
its because they are so sure and so enthusiastic about their religion. they can get and seem arrogant and appear that they think they are above everyone else.

what they forget is that if you arent a christian why should you have to live by christian values. you have different beliefs and i think as long as you keep your conscience clear your doing good to yourself/ or living your best . even though christians say only christians go to heaven there is no point saying that if the person theyre saying it to doesnt believe in it.

im a christian and i get preeched to if i go by other teens who think they are better christians. it really pisses me off and thats why im not churchy. i could do with out the churchy culture. i believe what i believe and im happy with that, but me personally i will NEVER speak down to someone cause they dont believe what i believe.

like you said christianity like other religions has a good core. in its case it is covered by an added church culture and its reputatino is shapen by its believers. if i wasnt a christian already i think i would find it very hard to be one by looking at what other christians can be like .but then there are some really good christian people who are very respectful of people of differetn faiths, but these people are less noticable cause they are less outspoken
if only more christians were like u....well...at least I'm sure now that not all christians are arrogant and closed-minded....

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
thaoroxy2001 said:
if only more christians were like u....well...at least I'm sure now that not all christians are arrogant and closed-minded....
I tend to believe that the arrogant and closed-minded Christians would act the same way no matter what they believed in. I dont think its because they are Christians but rather because thats the type of people they are

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
acmilan said:
I tend to believe that the arrogant and closed-minded Christians would act the same way no matter what they believed in. I dont think its because they are Christians but rather because thats the type of people they are
yeh .... i know....I was just referring to the hardcore christians in my school who gang up on u if u ain't christian

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Most christians wether liberal or fundamentalist believe that there is a segment of people that aren't the 'REAL' christians....
This is what allows it to strive, people can belong to a large group although everyone has different beliefs.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
mz_purfect said:
besides criticising my reason as merely 'stupid' can u argue it INTELLECTUALLY ??? or u dont have the ability to?
It already has been shown many times over.

The Galaxy isn't precisely crafted like a watch. It is a stupid example to use it.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Only for supporting life. But even then it isn't.

Before you say that the universal constants are perfect. What if there is a multiverse? Where the cosmological constants are different, a hugely large amount of universes the chances of one containing the right constants becomes possible. Why don't we see these universes, well they can't support life so no one can. They don't form the conditions necessay, either stay as a singularity or are so sparse it is transparent.

budj

HSC
I ddo not beleive life is perfect either. BTW Xayma, did you watch "the elegant universe" or something. It goes into all this stuff about what your saying regarding string theory, and the perfection of this universes cosmological constants. I cant understand most of it becase i always miss the first half of the show.

Anywway for all those big bang skeptics. It is very hard to rigorously analyse the perfection and flaws of this theory without understanding the fundamental nature of quantum theory and the high level mathematics which underly th principles of it. At the moment, with my knowledge, I beleive it does look pretty insane to create something out ofd nothing, but thats kinda the blck hole principle backwards am i correct?

I do not see why one needs a god to make sense of the world. To me, it makes perfect sense as it is.

malkin86

HSC
I tried going to the Christian Fellowship thing at my school a few times... One time, a friend of mine who's into the punk sort of scene walked by and flashed them a hand sign that she told me later was a 'devil sign' to rattle them - the joke is that they didn't see it because they were too busy loudly agreeing with each other that all [insert reviled denomination here]s are misguided and are going to Hell.

And then, one other time, I went, and there was a talk about 'witnessing' and 'testimonies' and there was all this Christian terminology... I tried to pay attention, and at one point I was thinking "You're technically speaking English, but I am not understanding." I came up to the main person later and told them in a fairly even, non-threatening tone that I didn't understand, and could they please explain these terms, and they went off at me, and strongly implied that it was my fault that I didn't understand. No explanation, just blame-laying.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
budj said:
I ddo not beleive life is perfect either. BTW Xayma, did you watch "the elegant universe" or something. It goes into all this stuff about what your saying regarding string theory, and the perfection of this universes cosmological constants. I cant understand most of it becase i always miss the first half of the show.

Anywway for all those big bang skeptics. It is very hard to rigorously analyse the perfection and flaws of this theory without understanding the fundamental nature of quantum theory and the high level mathematics which underly th principles of it. At the moment, with my knowledge, I beleive it does look pretty insane to create something out ofd nothing, but thats kinda the blck hole principle backwards am i correct?

I do not see why one needs a god to make sense of the world. To me, it makes perfect sense as it is.
Well I don't know if black holes are considered singularities anymore since they seem to obey the laws of physics at the moment. Such as not decreasing entropy. Indeed that is one of the reasons a unification of relativity and quantum mechanics is needed (string theory being the leading contender).

Yeah I have watched the two episodes of the elegant universe so far the last one is on tonight.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
I tried going to the Christian Fellowship thing at my school a few times... One time, a friend of mine who's into the punk sort of scene walked by and flashed them a hand sign that she told me later was a 'devil sign' to rattle them - the joke is that they didn't see it because they were too busy loudly agreeing with each other that all [insert reviled denomination here]s are misguided and are going to Hell.

And then, one other time, I went, and there was a talk about 'witnessing' and 'testimonies' and there was all this Christian terminology... I tried to pay attention, and at one point I was thinking "You're technically speaking English, but I am not understanding." I came up to the main person later and told them in a fairly even, non-threatening tone that I didn't understand, and could they please explain these terms, and they went off at me, and strongly implied that it was my fault that I didn't understand. No explanation, just blame-laying.
Remeber that Pentecostals dont make up the majority of Christians in the world, in many countries they dont even exist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)