• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

alien

HSC
I think God can foresee all the future and does, he just doesn't control it because that would take away our agency which is an essential part of humanity.

K

katie_tully

"If God is omniscient, He must know beforehand exactly what a person will do in a given situation. In that case, a person is not in fact free to do the alternative to what God knows he or she will do, and free will must be an illusion. To take this one step further, if one chooses to commit a sin, how can it then be said that one sinned freely?"

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
katie_tully said:
"If God is omniscient, He must know beforehand exactly what a person will do in a given situation. In that case, a person is not in fact free to do the alternative to what God knows he or she will do, and free will must be an illusion. To take this one step further, if one chooses to commit a sin, how can it then be said that one sinned freely?"
god knows wat well do simply coz hes god (wat kind of a god would not know tomorrow....god knows the future).....however our actions are our actions....

alien

HSC
joujou_84 said:
god knows wat well do simply coz hes god (wat kind of a god would not know tomorrow....god knows the future).....however our actions are our actions....
yes ditto. just because someone knows what you are going to do doesn't mean that they make you do it. think of it this way: God knew that we were going to sin so He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us.

Kierkegaard

HSC
If God can control what he forsees and DOES control what he forsees, than God is not omniscient. So, why should we trust what you say God does and does not do? It's quite hilarious how many times the problem of evil must be explained in this debate, and every time, some unfounded bit of metaphysics is thrown into the mix.

MoonlightSonata, I figured that you weren't being challenged enough. I propose that God exists, and here is my proof (as translated from S5 modal logic):

1. If God exists, God exists necessarily.
2. It is possible that God exists.
3. If God exists necessarliy, God exists.
4. Either it is necessary that God exists, or it is not necessary that God exists.
5. If it's not necessary that God exists, it is necessary that it is not necessary that God exists.
6. Either it's necessary that God exists, or it's necessary that it's not necessary that God exists.
7. If it's necessary that it's not necessary that God exists, it is necessary that God doesn't exist.
8. Either it's necessary that God exists, or it's necessary that God doesn't exist.
9. It is necessary that God exists.
10. Therefore God exists.

The conclusion follows from the premises and the reasoning is sound.

Last edited:

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
joujou_84 said:
i remember i went to a sheik and asked him to explain it to me
coz even i as a muslim was finding it hard ot understand that if god knows what we do y do we do bad stuff?
but it all makes sense to me now...and im not gonna explain coz i wont make sense and i will confuse everyone
but its really sensative..he said so himself
he also said..that its something people shouldnt think about and look into too much
it wont put ur mind at ease...

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
alien said:
God knew that we were going to sin so He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us.
ahhhhhh ok we kinda disagree on that but.....still....god knows wat well do yet he dosent make us do it as for the millionth time THAT WOULD BE TAKING AWAY OUR FREE WILL

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
soha said:
he also said..that its something people shouldnt think about and look into too much
it wont put ur mind at ease...
he said that.....?? i heard that once from a priest...he kind of told me to "just believe" evn though he couldnt answer my question....but we should look into it and make sure we understand it..or else that would make us blind followers and when we die everything weve done on earth isnt counted if we werent sure wat we were doing was correct.....a blind follower is the most ignorant and dangerous of all.....coz they dont understand what theyre doing.......not that im dissing ur shiekh or anything but we should all be encouraged to look into things as much as possible

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
nah
islamically u shouldnt look into it and question it too much
like yeah its ok to understand
but its like going against god and questioning god
why does he know but we still do bad stuf
why does god do this etc..i dunno.thats what i heard

the guy wasnt actually a sheik
they just call him that out of respect..its taken in 2 ways in the arabic language

K

katie_tully

alien said:
yes ditto. just because someone knows what you are going to do doesn't mean that they make you do it. think of it this way: God knew that we were going to sin so He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us.
Our ideas of right and wrong, under this system, are merely outcomes of some chemical processes that occur in the brain, which happened to confer survival advantage on our alleged ape-like ancestors. But the notions in Hitler’s brain obeyed the same chemical laws as those in Mother Teresa’s, so on what grounds are the latter’s actions ‘better’ than the former’s? Also, why should the terrorist attack slaying thousands of people in New York be more terrible than a frog killing thousands of flies?

A Christian, however, believes there is an objective standard of morality that rises above individual humans, because it is set by an objective and transcendent moral Lawgiver who is our Creator. An atheist’s argument against God because of objective evil inadvertently concedes the very point he is trying to argue against

K

katie_tully

joujou_84 said:
i dont believe anything with the word genesis in it.......
I don't understand why you all pick and choose which bits of your faith you're going to follow.
New/Old testament are both by the word of God, are they not?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
katie_tully said:
I don't understand why you all pick and choose which bits of your faith you're going to follow.
New/Old testament are both by the word of God, are they not?
im not christain........which is why it annoys me when someone says "the bible is full of contradictions therefore there is no god".....

K

katie_tully

Kierkegaard said:
1. If God exists, God exists necessarily.
2. It is possible that God exists.
3. If God exists necessarliy, God exists.
4. Either it is necessary that God exists, or it is not necessary that God exists.
5. If it's not necessary that God exists, it is necessary that it is not necessary that God exists.
6. Either it's necessary that God exists, or it's necessary that it's not necessary that God exists.
7. If it's necessary that it's not necessary that God exists, it is necessary that God doesn't exist.
8. Either it's necessary that God exists, or it's necessary that God doesn't exist.
9. It is necessary that God exists.
10. Therefore God exists.
If god exists, why does he exist necessarily? There are alot of things on earth that exist, albiet not necessarily.
It is possible god exists. It is also possible he doesn't exist.
If he exists necessarily, then he exists. But what's to prove he exists, and what's to prove that his existance is necessary?
Point 4 cancels out point 9 and 10.

K

katie_tully

joujou_84 said:
im not christain........which is why it annoys me when someone says "the bible is full of contradictions therefore there is no god".....
Well what are you then?

K

katie_tully

joujou_84 said:
muslim........
What the..
This whole time I thought you were a psychotic Christian.... I take back anything I've said to you...
In that case... what's the difference between being a Muslim and a Christian? And why do the two religions have so much animosity towards each other, (a la middle east)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)