Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

Comrade nathan

HSC
That story was so stupid.

One is a real material thing. The other is a spiritual thing that suposely exist outside of all matter.

Am i allowed to say that any hobgoblin exist, its just people dont go looking for him. We could use such rethoric to prove anything. If only it work for UAI scores or money.

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
OK, granted that story is ummm....:rolleyes:

But I think tracy_deguzman is just tryna make a point.. She's (she/he? LOL) just expressing HER POV, like everybody else in this thread seems to be doing...and running around in circles, going nowhere, at the same time...however

not all christians post 'weird ambiguous stories' :)

PS - nice sig Comrade_nathan ;)

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hotcocoababe said:
like everybody else in this thread seems to be doing...and running around in circles, going nowhere
Running around in circles? Surely you jest!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
rapier said:
Personally I have little knowledge of or connection with organised religion, but the majority of those who do can find significant justification for their beliefs.
That's funny, none of them here seem to have any justification for their beliefs

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
veanz said:
youre failing to see that agnosticism is a point of view - validity is subjective.
Validity in the logical sense is not subjective, it simply means that the conclusion flows logically from the premises. Don't say "in a sense" means its subjective, unless you want to prove some sort of bias inherent in logic itself.

veanz said:
it's inclination when an agnostic wants to disprove God's existence by knowing and hence arguing it cannot be scientifically proven.
Agnostics will not argue that because that is not what agnosticism is! We're not saying there is no God, merely that there is a lack of evidence and therefore God cannot be proven to exist.

veanz said:
But my point anyway, is that it you cannot argue science with religion or vice versa -- i believe, they are completely two different levels of thinking. You cant use how to explain why.
"There is a God" is either true or false. People using science are using evidence, reason and logic. The people discussing religion are saying it is a matter of faith (which is belief without evidence), ie. they are basing their beliefs on nothing. So to say that there is a lack of coherent communication between the two - it is really the fault of the believers who profess views without justification.

veanz said:
Omitting this gorgamel business, who defines what is logic and evidence in this kind of debate? how do you make it universally adaptable? why in this context, does something have to be logical (thats subjective anyway) for it to make sense and be justified?
Mate, the only way we can show anything on this Earth is through reason, logic and evidence. If you want to come up with something better, let's hear it.

Sophie777

Can I please ask you, person who wrote this quote, how people going to God will prevent pain and suffering. I mean... it seems to me like the existence of religion causes pain and suffering.

"Exactly!"- affirmed the customer. "That's the
point! God, too, DOES exist! What happens, is,
people don't go to Him and do not look for Him.
That's why there's so much pain and suffering in
the world."

Last edited:

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
to sophie and probably-is-bright, just wondering...
i've been posting here for about 40pgs (rather irregulary), yet u both have been here longer, and post a lot. how can u stand having to justify urselves on every pg to those out there who still don't accept others' views, and don't read other posts!! if they read ur posts, the questions would be answered!!!
i admire that ur able to not only read everyone's posts, but then reply with the same thing again, and again, and again, and again!!! :D
sorry, just my rambling. :)

Sophie777

It is really frustrating that people can be faced with logical arguments against their beliefs and just say "You're wrong" and I have seen not-that-bright prove soooo many people are putting forward inadequate arguments and they just ignore the post and pick up on something else someone else said. And to say evolution is bullshit and only a 'theory' is so not an argument for the existence of a God!

I don't want to put down anyone elses beliefs. After all, I am unsure as to the truth of the matter but I don't want to believe something just because I am scared or it is a better option than not believing on the off chance that God does exist.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I don't believe in god, why have such blind faith?
Not believing in god doesn't put me at any disadvantage to anyone who does.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
u know, i think this is the first time i've been able to reply to u sophie, mainly cause ur SO busy explaining to other ppl. :D

Sophie777 said:
And to say evolution is bullshit and only a 'theory' is so not an argument for the existence of a God!
i have to agree. evolution is a theory, but it's not bullshit. it's the most logical explanation yet. Following other ppl's arguement, "it's wrong so a God exists", is completely untrue. It's just cancelling out one theory with another. Everything is a theory, that's the problem.

Sophie777 said:
I don't want to put down anyone elses beliefs.
and like i've been saying all along, which not many ppl reply to... if the individual is happy, then let it be :)
If there is anyone except for not-that bright and sophie who agree with that... PLZ post. And no-one can argue that this is a thiest arguement, cause i'm christian, i believe. Everyone has to accept everyone else.
oh and sophie, cause u've been so good at argueing everyone else... try and argue my sig. not-that-bright couldn't :D :)

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I thiNk You WiLL FIND tAHT ThE PURPOSE of Tis thREAD waS tO HaVE DISCUsSION, noT 'let it beeeee, let it beee'.

YoUr Sig was 'Everything is Somewhere' WhiLe we haVe a LARGE universe wE don'T have an Infinite universe, sO no, noT EverYthing is SomEwhere...
AnD iT BriinGs Me BacK to my EarliER poInt, it'S As HARD ot pRoove UniCorns Exist as iT is God.

HEHEHEHEHEH NOT THAT BRIGHT COULDn"T ARGUES MY SIGS!! HEHEHHEEH
you idiot. I can 'argue' it.... duh anyone can argue anything....
I even made a fairly good argument (see above)..
Basically what you're doing is making the ascertion that you are right because u can say something that I can't disprove.... wow, i've got one for you.
"last night while you were sleeping i slipped my balls in your mouth, took a photo".

Last edited:

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
but it could be :D
anyway, forget that.
don't u think a discussion needs to have conclusions, or at least partial conclusions!
so...
"when i find myself in times of trouble..."
:)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
When you find yourself in times of trouble work it out for yourself or through other people, use real world methods to get yourself out of the trouble.... don't pray to stupid bs gods that don't exist and you know in the back of your head is just a way of reassuring urself...

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
When you find yourself in times of trouble work it out for yourself or through other people, use real world methods to get yourself out of the trouble.... don't pray to stupid bs gods that don't exist and you know in the back of your head is just a way of reassuring urself...
wait! i thought u agreed ages ago to let ppl believe, even if it was blind belief. i don't believe my belief is blind, but i can't explain y i believe in it. i have my own reasons that would take too long to explain, and no-one else would understand them anyway. i just don't like the way some ppl try to justify their belief, when really all they have and and i have is faith. so ppl should be allowed to believe for their own reasons.and as for real world methods...
what is real? :D

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Nahhhhhh......
I'm in a crisis situation right now, and it's only going to get worse, and I'm doing all the logical things, but they don't help you emotionally. I talk to friends, I talk to adults... and I'll pray. Those help emotionally. Of course, they don't always work like if I realize I'm talking to a total shithead, or I feel as though "God doesn't care/isn't answering etc. Sometimes. *shrugs* I still need all the help I can get, but the more the better. And "the better" is up to what I feel, same way as when I'm asking a person for advice: I can make a judgement on whether this guy is shit or not.

Reassuring myself is a necessity in times of crisis... for me anyway.

Sophie777

"Everything is somewhere"

Yeh I dunno.

I believe the answer is out there somewhere. Somebody will know one day what the hell this is all about. I mean... we have to be here for some purpose.. Now for me, this purpose is what I make it. I do really believe that there is something out there who will ultimately control the outcome of the world. However, the more I believe there is a God, the more I realise that this isn't backed up by anything but my desire to know that someone is watching over me and that someone will take care of me.

Everything is somewhere... can you explain what you mean by that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)