• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

Sophie777

mossup said:
Okay…I wasn’t going to reply, but I just had to. Here is why the bible HAS to be used in this debate.

Human instinct didn’t come with morals. Morals don’t come naturally to humans. They have to be learned. So if morals weren’t human instinct…..then where did they come from???

THE BIBLE

The bible is the reason we have morals. Who wrote the bible?….well the bible is the inspired word of God. So there fore the bible was written by God. God wrote the 10 commandments and gave us morals. If we believe that the morals in the bible are good and right, then why don’t you believe that God exists?

People accepted these morals because the bible said. People believe that it is wrong to cheat on your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife, because the moral was learnt from the bible. so if u believe in morals, then you must believe in God. Because GOD made morals.
We aren't arguing the use and value of the bible. What we don't agree with you on, is the fact that the bible is Gods word. YOu have no proof of this, this is only your belief and feeling. To me, the bible was written by 10 men who felt a need to explain the potential meaninglessness of life. After all, how scary is it to die and go nowhere?

Do you know what annoys me about what you wrote and what many christians believe? That believing the bible and believing in God makes you a good person. Well, it doesn't, you have to be a good person within yourself regardless of what the bible says. If you follow the bible, just because it says so, you aren't a good person you are fooling yourself. I think that it is rediculous to think you can sin all you want and make excuses and justification for it based on God's forgiveness.

Generator

HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
If there was no Bible, and you cheated on your S.O., then when they find out, they would still be incredibly hurt, and might harm you or themselves... hence the "no adultery" commandment. Even societies which have never traditionally heard of God have traditional taboos on adultery. I guess it comes down to this: "Does God do what is good, or is what God does good simply because God does it?"
Hang on, so some abrahamic god decided that he (it would never be a she, of course) would abuse a standard emotional response in order to develop a moral code?

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
The adultery was an example of this question which I believe is a larger theme in Christianity. Classically, it's called the Euthyphro question, if you want to find out more.

superbird

HSC
Sophie777 said:
We aren't arguing the use and value of the bible. What we don't agree with you on, is the fact that the bible is Gods word. YOu have no proof of this, this is only your belief and feeling. To me, the bible was written by 10 men who felt a need to explain the potential meaninglessness of life. After all, how scary is it to die and go nowhere?
likewise nobody can disproove the existence of God. We simply dont know...

Sophie777

I didn't say we could. I said that using the bible as evidence doesn't work as I don't believe it to be true.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Hang on, so some abrahamic god decided that he (it would never be a she, of course) would abuse a standard emotional response in order to develop a moral code?
Well of course it is morals. Because no animal in nature ever mates for life. And animals are always mudering each other etc.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I'm kind of lost (re. Xayma's last post)... I know that such ideas are morals, I was just disputing the idea that they are inherently religious.

Sophie777

As for animals... did you know that many of them are homosexuals? How can this not prove that being attracted to the same sex is not something inherent in human nature or nature? Hence, sometimes values, morals and ideas exist regardless of who influenced them. I wouldn't be able to kill someone, not because I was brought up to not, or the bible says its wrong, I just couldn't.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It was more that these basic morals are genetically encoded. And have good reasoning for them. Such as mudering someone puts yourself at danger for no reason.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
kelboo said:
I am the biggest atheist you are ever likely to meet. :)

Well, meh, argument's ended for me!! :rolleyes:
how can there be different degrees of atheist

you either believe or you don't

if you believe slightly then you are not an atheist

mossup

can you do the mossup?
cloud eight & nine tenths. Yes its frustrating
HSC
Sophie777 said:
We aren't arguing the use and value of the bible. What we don't agree with you on, is the fact that the bible is Gods word. YOu have no proof of this, this is only your belief and feeling. To me, the bible was written by 10 men who felt a need to explain the potential meaninglessness of life.
Ah.....doy!.....what i said before (i have to repeat it for you didn't understand) , Humans didn't come with morals. morals aren't in our genetics. Kids don't know right from wrong. So for a book to have morals in it......THINK........it must have had some "being", other than human, write it.....how could a human, (or 10 men as u put it) write morals when we humans don't have morals as a natural instinct!!!

I realise this doesn't proove the existance of GOD, but it prooves the existance of a graeter being, other than humans, because they must have naturally had morals to write them!

And when did i say that i was a good person just because i read the bible???.......its not about reading the bible, Its about practicing what you preach. Its about being like jesus, being nice to people. Helping out. loving God and devoting your life to him.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well I hate to tell you this because you will be surely disappointed. But people had laws (such as for murder) etc well before the bible was written.

Generator

HSC
N/A
mossup said:
Ah.....doy!.....what i said before (i have to repeat it for you didn't understand) , Humans didn't come with morals. morals aren't in our genetics. Kids don't know right from wrong. So for a book to have morals in it......THINK........it must have had some "being", other than human, write it.....how could a human, (or 10 men as u put it) write morals when we humans don't have morals as a natural instinct!!!

I realise this doesn't proove the existance of GOD, but it prooves the existance of a graeter being, other than humans, because they must have naturally had morals to write them!

Humans are forever creating social structures in order to organise society... Is it that hard to admit (even to the possibility) that various moral codes emerged through such an idea?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)