• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
But it's the sort of banal, border-line offensive (because of its connotations) statement that a 16 year old evangelical Christian would say. Am I close to the mark?

And of course you can never prove whether God exists or not, that's the beauty of religion. It can never be singularly dissproved, thus you will always get people following it.

And *deep breath*, I come from a long line of non-believers, and I've experienced the Bible (as in, had it preached at me ad nauseum) for myself and rejected it. Where do my morals come from? I can tell you exactly, but I want you to explain to me why and how the decisions I have made in my life have been subverted by the Bible.

lengstar

HSC
For the side arguing for 'belief in god' please state what becomes of godless countries that have existed way before the bible was ever written aka China. Are all its citizens condemned to a fiery hell?

lengstar

HSC
Monkey Butler said:
But it's the sort of banal, border-line offensive (because of its connotations) statement that a 16 year old evangelical Christian would say. Am I close to the mark?

And of course you can never prove whether God exists or not, that's the beauty of religion. It can never be singularly dissproved, thus you will always get people following it.

And *deep breath*, I come from a long line of non-believers, and I've experienced the Bible (as in, had it preached at me ad nauseum) for myself and rejected it. Where do my morals come from? I can tell you exactly, but I want you to explain to me why and how the decisions I have made in my life have been subverted by the Bible.
Can't i believe in God and it have NOTHING to do with religion?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
lengstar said:
YES YOU CAN!!! :D:D:D

Religion is a construct as far as I'm concerned.

God ------ it's a matter of belief there: whether there is a "higher being"... etc.

Am I right or does it need refining?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
lengstar said:
I was developing my own philosophy of that a while back, to do with agnosticism.

For instance, when I say that I don't rule out the possibility of God, I don't mean Christianity. I think religion has mostly nothing to do with God. In fact I think if God were real he'd be pretty mad at all the religions in the world.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
The thing is, it's sooo much easier to jump from "belief in a higher being" to conventional religion. Because that takes the legwork out of it - you've decided that there is a Creator, or a Guider or whatever, and then you can just sort of see which religion you want to join (kinda like John Saffran Vs God :D).

And btw, I just checked, and I was right about mossup.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
lol, I'm the opposite -----> 1st a Christian, now "belief in a higher being" :D

lengstar

HSC
That why I've been against religion. Its a do or die kinda thing, not a personal thing. If believing in God was more about believing in him and not having to follow around all these stupid rules from some prefabricated story then I'd be a more faithful person.

trickster_812

HSC
Monkey Butler said:
Oh God, don't say that Trickster, it just takes us back to the start of the circle, i.e. the Bible can potentially be proven false, why is your God better than another God (or how is your God different to any other God) why should that God be followed, etc.
Ok so you're saying that the Bible can be proven false...how? There is historical evidence that some of the things are true ie parts of Noah's ark was found on a mountain. God is the one and only God :uhhuh: There is historical evidence!!!!!!!!!!

Sophie777

Noone said parts of the bible don't document real parts of history. But just because they say things about the world that ARE true, doesn't mean their belief in God was accurate.

Sophie777

mossup said:
God works in my life.......and i don't know where i'd be if it wasn't for him answering my prayers
Answering your own by getting of your arse and actually acting to affect change.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:
hmmmmmmmm. we still going? r u guys trying to break the record for the longest thread? :)
haha well there is an oh-so meaningful thread in non-school called "What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?" with over 11,000 posts.. I'm sure there are more like that

malkin86

HSC
There's a school of belief that says that belief is the food of gods.. the more powerful the belief, the more powerful the god. therefore without belief, a god could theoretically die.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)