Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I like making fun of them. Considering one of their main objectives is to speak in tongues.

Hmm my friend is one and doesn't believe in the big bang etc. Oh well it's his choice, but he doesn't preach to me so it's all good.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Pentecostals emphasise the gifts of the holy spirit which is why you often see them on tv healing people. Speaking in tongues does feature in that but its not the main objective, their main objective is the holy spirit and having an evangelical view of the bible. However most Christian masses/ services are no where near anything like that.

@ malkin86: whats so difficult in knowing the definition of 'testimonies' and 'witnessing', you dont have to be a christian to know what they mean? Perhaps they got angry because they thought you were a regular, going to a catholic school the priest at my primary school sometimes got angry when we didnt know certain thing about the mass. If theres anything you dont understand just ask in here, no one will get angry at you

third day

HSC
I believe in God, i believe He sent his son Jesus to die for us and that he will return again. To be a christian you have to have faith and that i have... Just read how powerful our awesome God is by reading the bible. ' Never again will they hunger, never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them nor any scorching heat for the Lamb at the centre of the throne will be their shepherd. he will lead them to springs of living water and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes'.
Thats awesome. The reasons to believe are all in the bible. i also believe that hillsong is the best church..ahhaha..just thought id add that. and third day is the best band.

Keen

MD
HSC
lukebennett said:
i appreciate you dont simply poo poo my beliefs and all but the "amazing thing" are slightly more than those kinds of things you put up.
im a highly cynical person too and am very sceptical when it comes to other christians who see themselves on a level above nonchristians. i dont hang around many christians at all.
im like you in that im not religious cause i believe religion is a constructed cultural thing. i believe in the christian god and the bible but dont let religion rule my life. i aim at letting my values rule my life not religion like taking on an almost new personality and getting all hyped about church etc.
btw congrats on getting into med. thats wat i was trying for but i stuffed my first 2 sections of umat. ill hopefully get into med sci aslong as the cut off doesnt go up astronomically.
I really love your views, I find christianity acceptable when viewed in someones mind like yourself (you must be smart wanting to do med - good luck with that BTW).
But I believe many people are either hardcorers or casual believers or the people who don't care or don't believe.
I agree with acmilan that I think hardcore christianity and other religions attracts a certain type of people that I've talked about in previous posts.

I also believe that I'll go to heaven as I believe in god and pretty much do everthing the Bible tells me to do, except preach about the word of god. I mean I guess if you want to spread the word of god someone has to preach it but these people talk like they know all and you're wrong and they're right - just not acceptable.
And I don't appreciate how they're more passionate about this that anything on the planet, that just makes me think that this is a curse, god cannot be that great that everthing in your life is like a 5/10 and religion is like an 11/10 that just doesn't make sense to me. If your only passion is god and your way too passionate about it that's just freaky and psychologically unhealthy.

BTW It's very healthy to question your faith, if it holds up you will grow stronger and so will your faith.

Keen

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
third day said:
Thats awesome. The reasons to believe are all in the bible. i also believe that hillsong is the best church..ahhaha..just thought id add that. and third day is the best band.
To call it a church is a bit of a reach.

To call it a corporation pretending to be a church on the other hand, might be more accurate.

Last edited:

Keen

MD
HSC
third day said:
I believe in God, i believe He sent his son Jesus to die for us and that he will return again. To be a christian you have to have faith and that i have... Just read how powerful our awesome God is by reading the bible. ' Never again will they hunger, never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them nor any scorching heat for the Lamb at the centre of the throne will be their shepherd. he will lead them to springs of living water and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes'.
You do realise that isn't a reason, if I said my cat is the greatest creature and so kind and will be so nice to you, and he died and got resurected after being killed by evil (a snake) and this is true - that's what my vet said, he thought he was going to die.
And I wright a book about it, and tell people and enough people believe it, this is not good enough basis to start a religion. And seriously you may laugh this off but I've sort of tried it and I think if you gave me a year and some money I could start a religion with many members based on my writing and this natural event.

Keen

alien

HSC
Xayma said:
To call it a church is a bit of a reach.

To call it a corporation pretending to be a church on the other hand, might be more accurate.
ouch. that's harsh.

tristan88

HSC
'While looking at the Hillsong web presence, I noticed a couple of strange things. The first is that with all its money and commitment to life in Australia, it has its web site hosted in New Jersey. The second is that it has registered at least three domain names in Australia - hillsong.com.au, hillsong.net.au and hillsong.org.au. When you enter any of these names into your browser you are taken to hillsong.com and the New Jersey host. According to the rules of Australian domain names, .com.au and .net.au are restricted to Australian commercial businesses and .org.au domains are only available to non-profit organisations and charities. I have asked the appropriate authorities how it can be possible for the same commercially-registered company to have use of all three names. I realise that Hillsong is really a business pretending to be a church to avoid tax, but I would have thought that their lawyers would have advised them not to be so open when leaving traces in public records.'

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/hillsong.htm

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
A fact from the Hillsong church website:

"There are 6,000,000,000 people on the planet in 237, countries speaking 6,528 languages. Half have never heard the truth about Jesus. Source: Missions – unhindered.org"

They could at least verify their sources. No account of the number of countries I have seen places it at 237. Most are around the 190 mark. 191 Members of the UN (including Switzerland), the Vatican City as well. And Taiwan depending on the perspective of the person.

alien

HSC
how come noone from hillsong is defending their church? if someone was bagging my church i would defend it

Generator

HSC
N/A
As bad as it may seem, it is a church... It isn't as though it is the only religious organisation in Australia that happens to have quite a bit of money... However, given that it seems to be an aggressive evangelical church, a number of people tend to ignore its religious teachings/interpretation and focus on the organisation's financial structure.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I know that. But most other ones don't bug me as much.

I would like to see the restructing of non-tax status for churches if they have a profit over a significant amount.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
a religious institution should not be making a profit out of religion.........nor should it be owning huge amounts of property or running any sort of a buisness.........i would find it extremely hard to keep the faith if i was been sucked in so they could profit........

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I saw a t-shirt today that says "Jesus is my homeboy". I think this alone proves that God doesnt exist :D

The Bible is the most popular work of fiction....thats been corrupted by centuries of mistranslation:D

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
§eraphim said:
I saw a t-shirt today that says "Jesus is my homeboy". I think this alone proves that God doesnt exist :D

The Bible is the most popular work of fiction....thats been corrupted by centuries of mistranslation:D
yeh i saw that.........in supre......and theres one that says mary is my homegirl...........no wonder ppl dont take religion seriously......

Generator

HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:
yeh i saw that.........in supre......and theres one that says mary is my homegirl...........no wonder ppl dont take religion seriously......
Why is it that those following a faith must do so in a certain way in order to be viewed as a 'proper blah'? Given that religion an issue of personal expression, I can see no reason why those shirts should be frowned upon... I will admit that it's also an issue of conforming to group norms, but is there a problem with the ideas of diversity and that religion may well be moving forward with the times?

I know that those shirts are in all likelihood a pisstake (or a desire to tap the fans of Guy Sebastian market), but if the person happens to believe in the message (for better or worse)...

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Generator said:
Why is it that those following a faith must do so in a certain way in order to be viewed as a 'proper blah'? Given that religion an issue of personal expression, I can see no reason why those shirts should be frowned upon... I will admit that it's also an issue of conforming to group norms, but is there a problem with the ideas of diversity and that religion may well be moving forward with the times?

I know that those shirts are in all likelihood a pisstake (or a desire to tap the fans of Guy Sebastian market), but if the person happens to believe in the message (for better or worse)...
so for example u would like a top that says "god is my pimp"........cmon man....religion is not soemthing u take a piss at.......u gotta have some respect....

Generator

HSC
N/A
In my case it would be a shirt to take the piss out of conservative christians (I'm agnostic yet relatively closed to the idea of the abrahamic faiths (fundamental christians in particular) at the same time), but that is merely my point of view... If another person happens to see such a shirt as a sign of respect, then I cannot see how that would be a problem given that it is their way of expressing their faith, not mine or your's.

Last edited:

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Generator said:
In my case it would be a shirt to take the piss out of conservative christians (I'm agnostic yet relatively closed to the idea of the abrahamic faiths at the same time), but that is merely my point of view... If another person happens to see such a shirt as a sign of respect, then I cannot see how that would be a problem given that it is their way of expressing their faith, not mine or your's.
exactly.........this is all point of view.....i would have no respect for someone wearing any of those t-shirts and im not evn christain.....i dont care wat anyone wears....but IMO they are disrespctful and wrong......however ill wear wat i want.....and everyone can wear wat they want.... :)

Keen

MD
HSC
I'm getting an ad on the top of the screen right now that says:
Religion Run Amok: 7 Great Myths of Organised Religion with the link to:

http://religion.coffeehousetheology.com/

Which is a 7 day newsletter or something which seems to be what we're discussing so signup post up a summary of the views and argue away.

Let the games begin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)