• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

lengstar

HSC
the meaning of life: the accumlation of token material desires to satisfy and define our existences

Last edited:

Comrade nathan

HSC
syn said:
religion itself is a good thing. it gives one strength and hope, and not everyone can deal with problems the same way as you would.

HOWEVER, organised religion is evil; a primitive form of mind control that more and more people are falling for daily. my belief is that it is the cause of most problems/bloodshed worldwide. therefore it can be seen that it is not religion that is evil, but man's interpretation of it that is. basically, we've ruined everything.
But it doesnt. They gain this from themselves.With this in mind it stops stength and hope of people. Many times in history when there was a need for action the relgious heads adn religous spiritual people have not taken action and rather pray and look to be saved in the non material.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
isnt our existance proof enough...?
think about the brain...how it functions...
who created that?
think about the heart..how it beats..
who created that?
think about the lungs how they operate..
how you breathe instinctively
how you wake up everymorining alive..you have been given life..by whom?..
by GoD...!
the three central religons of the world..christianity..islam and judiasm
they all have a belief in GoD and the oneness of GoD
and if you want to "FiNd GOd"... then you can..read the koran ..the bible and whatever else...
its not a topic that you can lash out at in a forum..its deeper then that
and if you are sincere in finding GoD.. or proof that GoD exists then ask GoD..
and you cant try with the intention to knock it back..you have to have an open mind and an open heart...but then again i dont know what your intentions are..and now im just crapping on...

and for those people with no religon..how do you sleep at night..
how do you live without knowing or understanding the purpose of life..
what about when you die..where are you going and why are you here
the pleasure seekers who think its about partying..dont you think life is deeper then that..and where are you heading?..to the grave..and from there on?..dont you want to knowwhy your here?..wont it give you a reason to live..i dunno it just strikes me as weird that people can live in this world without reason...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I already replied to that! ---

soha said:
isnt our existance proof enough...?
think about the brain...how it functions...
who created that?
think about the heart..how it beats..
who created that?
think about the lungs how they operate..
how you breathe instinctively
how you wake up everymorining alive..you have been given life..by whom?..
Appeal to ignorance... we don't know... so it must be God!

soha said:
and for those people with no religon..how do you sleep at night..
how do you live without knowing or understanding the purpose of life..
Why do people need to have their life's meaning and purpose given to them on a silver platter... they seem so afraid of not having meaning when we can create our own meaning. What is wrong with defining our own lives? Do we really need a magical superbeing to tell us who we are?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
..i have closure..i know why i am here..im not looking for answers..im perfectly happy with my beliefs...this is such a sensative topic...

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i guess because i am not an atheist i cant really say no..so yeah i see what you mean..but its hard to comprehend because for me a life without the belief in GoD is hard to imagine..if you know what i mean..but yeah..i suppose

stamos

sellout
HSC
god exists within people's minds

like the idea of a nation

Both are artificial constructions of the human mind. There is no scientific proof of them. "Australia" doesn't have an atomic footprint. It, like God, exists within the collective conciousness of humanity. I suppose you could call it a semantic construction? (dunno about that, i haven't studied structuralism, but it's not like you need a phd to argue on bos)

On an unrelated note, if god was real, i think the bible would be the unified theory of physics.

fuck i'm a nerd

edit: the point i was trying to make was that ideas can be alive too, so it's unreasonable to ask for tangible proof

at least i think that's what i meant to say

Last edited:

fatmuscle

HSC
http://go.to/fatmuscle

My belief in that a God does exist is a personal one.
Many of my prays have been answered, and many times have I been touched spiritually.
When I sing a song to Him, I feel a difference.

For those of you who belong to other religions, I respect that.

For those of you who belong to no religion, and believe in no god, I pray for you.

Comrade nathan

HSC
the point i was trying to make was that ideas can be alive too, so it's unreasonable to ask for tangible proof
Well from a materialist standpoint ideas are not alive, they are a produce by our brain and are bound to matter. Once our brain stops functioning ideas can no0 longer be created.

Many of my prays have been answered, and many times have I been touched spiritually.When I sing a song to Him, I feel a difference.
Sometimes when i read a book and i really grasp a thought i have just read and i think about it i too feel different. We are experincing the same thing, yet i do not pray to god or believing my emotion change was created by god. How can we both have similar experince when i am not praying to god, its because we both have the capabilities to have this type of emotions, they are not created by god but created by our brain reacting to our sensations.

For those of you who belong to no religion, and believe in no god, I pray for you.
Please dont that is the only way you can really offend or should i say embarres a atheist is by praying to them. I would rathe rbe told im going to hell

For thoose who believe in god there have been found before the colonism years societies where they had no god, no religion, no belief in the afterlife. How can you explain that. I believe these societes where mostly peacefully and i think where mostly absent from natural disasters. If you want the source i can get it. It was wither John Locke or Machivellia, assuming it was Lokce becuase it think it was about discussing innate thoughts.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
fatmuscle said:
http://go.to/fatmuscle

My belief in that a God does exist is a personal one.
Many of my prays have been answered, and many times have I been touched spiritually.
When I sing a song to Him, I feel a difference.

For those of you who belong to other religions, I respect that.

The problem with your prayers being answered...miracles happening...

-Lots of people have personally witnessed Elvis working at the Drive-Thru. Should I believe them also? Without any sort of evidence, personal subjective testimony is not very convincing.

-Many people from other religions claim to have witnessed miracles. Does this mean that their God also exists? Just how many Gods are there?

-Are you positive that Divine Intervention is the only possible explanation for what you saw?

malkin86

HSC
The best thing about the existance of God, IMO, is that you can choose to believe or not. No-one's forcing you, and it's ultimately your choice. I think the Bible said something about that at some point, but as per the rules on page 1, I can't quote it.

JayWalker

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Instead of posting every single possible reason... i'll wait for a believer to post their reasons and i will rebut them :)

I would suggest some rules.... ie don't simply say 'i believe this because i believe', or anything like that.. before the discussion gets underway.
Yes, "God" as we refer to him/her/it exists.
If you study physics for long enough, you'll learn that energy can NOT be created or destroyed, just changed, HOWEVER, this raises the question of how this energy was created in the first place. This would be one reason for the existance of god.
This can be said the same for matter, it cannot be created, hence, somewhere back in time, there must be some event that created energy.

The big bang is not a conclusive theory for the beggining of the universe, as there is a period of indefinity, the idea put forward that there was "potential energy" can be considered valid except for the fact that it has no reference to what it is potential to..

Enjoy :uhhuh: :uhhuh:

-Breakfast time :D:D

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Stuff about stuff

http://www.victorzammit.com/book/index.html
http://www.clm.org/real/ri9403/evidence.html

EDIT: For the skeptic of prayer

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/prayer.html

Can I ask you a question all atheists. Why are you so interested in the existence of God when you don't believe in the existence of God? Or Should, "Does god exist?" be changed to "I dont believe in God therefore what I say and others say is right no matter how logical an argument may be?"

And I dont understand why this topic is constantly brought up in different threads... can at least one person create a thread that will not be brought up every 3 weeks? And by the end of it comes this whirlwind conclusion- I believe what I originally thought- what a waste of time.

Have fun vulturing my points and mocking them

Last edited:

JayWalker

HSC
Right, you can tell that guy has too much spare time on his hands, not to mention he is a nut, how can you use Einstein's E=mc<sup>2</sup> equation to prove god exists?!

JayWalker

HSC
Bradley has a good idea though, didnt think about the "Coincidence of the Universal Constants"

Add that to my argument :D

JayWalker

HSC
owoodley said:
....so why are you atheists so afraid?....
I do not like god cause if you read the end of the bible, he says everyones going to hell.. Jeeze nice guy!!! :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)