Does Keynesian economics works? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

byebyebye

HSC
Our impending surplus seems to say yes. What do you think?

http://veracitystew.com/2012/05/15/...omic-recovery-with-stimulus-and-higher-taxes/

Like everywhere else, Australia was hit hard by the Global Financial Crisis. Today while other countries, most notably, France, Germany, the UK and the Netherlands all teeter on the brink of double-dip recession and economic woes, Australia is poised for a budget surplus in 2013.How did Australia do it? Did they cut government programs? Were there huge public sector layoffs? Did they give the super-rich insane tax breaks? Below are key components of Australia’s budget and the surplus it will create:

1. Cut defense spending by $5.4 billion.
  2. Postpone increases to foreign aid.
  3. Enact a budget aimed at supporting lower-income families.
  4. Give the Reserve Bank room to cut interest rates for families.
  5. $5 billion stimulus payout to households, with extra help for students.
  6. $714 million to help companies compete.
  7. $3.7 billion in small business tax breaks.
  8. Top earners will pay increased premiums to pension funds.
  9. Only 3,000 public sector workers suffer layoffs. Unemployment currently 5.5% is predicted to drop to 5% by 2013.
  10. 30% carbon tax on the burgeoning profits of iron and coal miners; will raise $11 billion over the next three years.
Bear in mind that these are relatively large figures by Australian standards. Their economy is not nearly as large as the US or the UK. The current Australian deficit is $44.4 billion (~3% GDP), with a predicted budget surplus of $1.5 billion by this time next year.
Local politics aside, Australia makes the case – stimulus and taxation are effective during economic downturn. All these measures: cuts to defense spending; raising taxes on big business; issuing tax breaks for small business and the working class; and stimulus to low income families serve to create budget surplus. On the other hand, France, Germany, the UK and the Netherlands show us that austerity measures only make matters worse. This is definitely an economy we should continue to track.

Lentern

HSC
Probably but until a government actually has the guts to try and temper growth during a a boom period instead of saying "this is wonderful let's use all this money" we'll never truly know.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
this surplus has nothing to do with keynesian economics so this entire thread is absurd

and that article is terrible

and lentern is an economic illiterate

Lentern

HSC
Concepts of economics and literacy are mutually exclusive. Every economic treatise I've ever seen was so riddled with contradiction and paradox it might as well not have been written.

Debauchee

HSC
Probably but until a government actually has the guts to try and temper growth during a a boom period instead of saying "this is wonderful let's use all this money" we'll never truly know.
you have no comprehension whatsoever of the root causes of booms (and why they end) in the first place, so please, for the sake of humanity, don't make prescriptions as to how they should be dealt with

Every economic treatise I've ever seen was so riddled with contradiction and paradox it might as well not have been written.
This is particularly true of Keynes' General Theory, and yet you call yourself a "Keynesian".

Though to be honest it's unlikely you really understand it particularly well.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Concepts of economics and literacy are mutually exclusive. Every economic treatise I've ever seen was so riddled with contradiction and paradox it might as well not have been written.
no

Lentern

HSC
you have no comprehension whatsoever of the root causes of booms (and why they end) in the first place, so please, for the sake of humanity, don't make prescriptions as to how they should be dealt with

This is particularly true of Keynes' General Theory, and yet you call yourself a "Keynesian".

Though to be honest it's unlikely you really understand it particularly well.
You seem very determined to come across as a bitch given I don't think I've ever spoken to you.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
You think there is a logically watertight economic theory out there?
weasel words. define "logically watertight"

if you mean that they are internally consistent, and their conclusions follow from the premises, then yes, there are plenty of "watertight theories" out there. this is kind of the whole point of any rational research project. somehow, i don't think that's what you mean

Lentern

HSC
weasel words. define "logically watertight"

if you mean that they are internally consistent, and their conclusions follow from the premises, then yes, there are plenty of "watertight theories" out there. this is kind of the whole point of any rational research project. somehow, i don't think that's what you mean
Devoid of fallacies will suffice for these purposes.

Lentern

HSC
<<<<I'm actually a male, though it's nice to know you hate women so much.
Whatever makes you think I only refer to women as bitch? Your conduct is inimitably bitchy, a male specific epithet just wouldn't suffice.

Lentern

HSC
calls self keynesian

doesn't actually believe any economic theories
I think there are flaws in democracy, does that mean I can't therefore support it and believe in its merit as the best means by which to choose government?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Devoid of fallacies will suffice for these purposes.
still using weasel words. you might try providing an example. otherwise, i cannot speak for these "fallacies."

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The solution is simple.
- give significant tax cuts to small businesses (lower company tax rate to 25% etc).
- raise tax rates for big Australian businesses
- raise even higher the tax rate for foreign business operating in Australia

We need to support the little Aussie guys, followed by the big Aussie guys, followed by the Chinese/Indian/Japanese/US companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)