does love exist. (2 Viewers)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
hi guys.

i havent "loved" anyone is such a long time and sometimes i wonder whether love is really just an illusion. maybe my heart is just numb. i dont know if i am just selfish or what. so at this moment i am an unbeliever in "love". i want to know whether love exists or not.

* i am not refering to lust. i am able to lust for someone.
** btw i am referring to romantic love.

edit: what is the proof that love exists.

HSC
awwwh :( i wuv woo.

its just rarer than it's made out to be.

and there's not really any solid proof, just a certain kind of smile, a feeling, and a look in ones eyes.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
aw poor meranie
logical arguments only. kthxbai.

squeenie said:
Ohh Mel, who is it? You can tell me... hehe...
errrr. i said i cant love.

scaredytiger said:
and there's not really any solid proof,
burden of proof.

just a certain kind of smile, a feeling, and a look in ones eyes.
how do you know that there is a correlation though.

scaredytiger said:
awwwh i wuv woo.
:cool:

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Love is just lust and friendship as occasionally post hoc rationalised by a complex emotional and logical creature, imo. The reason why I imagine it's associated with such special magical feelings is because we like to create things which we think are greater than ourselves, to give us some sort of a transcendence.

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Enteebee said:
Love is just lust as occasionally post hoc rationalised by a complex emotional and logical creature, imo.
love is subjective. does it mean that it is not there.

HalcyonSky said:
why so cold
peer paper reviews only. kthxbai.

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
how do you know that there is a correlation though.
because there is nothing else it could be. there is no logical reason to drop off cookies at 1am. theres just no way to rationalise what youre doing, feeling and wanting.

Zingy

HSC
Love does not exist for ugly non relatable aspergers like me.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
love is subjective. does it mean that it is not there.

peer paper reviews only. kthxbai.
Well.. yeah it's there, it's just that it's nothing more than a construct of the human mind. It's kind of like asking whether 'art' exists or whether there's a meaning to life, these things exist only in the minds of human beings. So sure they exist, but only when you define them in terms of being constructs of the human mind and understanding how such constructs come about, because that's all they "really" are.

As for peer review papers, it's not hard to go into the evolutionary reasons as to why we would evolve a need for companionship with others and then as we become conscious need something to explain this desire. Nor is it difficult to point to the chemical reactions that occur in the brains of people who are in love.

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
scaredytiger said:
because there is nothing else it could be. there is no logical reason to drop off cookies at 1am. theres just no way to rationalise what youre doing, feeling and wanting.
so because there is no logical reason lets just say "love" did it.

Zingy said:
Love does not exist for ugly non relatable aspergers like me.
me and you both buddy. :(

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
scaredytiger said:
more like, because theres no logical reason and it fits the definition of love to such an extent, "love" did it.
Why is there no logical reason? It makes perfectly logical sense for a creature to evolve a sense of a desire for companionship, a desire to be a part of something 'special' and greater than themselves and then in desiring this to come up with all sorts of creative ways to try to express this.

HalcyonSky

HSC
it's just a combination of chemical and psychological factors, and god

theres nothing much to it really

HSC
Enteebee said:
Why is there no logical reason? It makes perfectly logical sense for a creature to evolve a sense of a desire for companionship, a desire to be a part of something 'special' and greater than themselves and then in desiring this to come up with all sorts of creative ways to try to express this.
well, except that i have, up until this point in my life, been generally removed to a degree from a relationship. ive desired companionship, and found it, but never been compelled to act beyond a degree of apathy.

i cared, but it was an empty caring, possibly a result of constant movement from one place to another, i dont know.

but something made it easy to remove that wall. and when that wall is removed, one is no longer filtering everything through self-interest.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Enteebee said:
Well.. yeah it's there, it's just that it's nothing more than a construct of the human mind. It's kind of like asking whether 'art' exists or whether there's a meaning to life, these things exist only in the minds of human beings. So sure they exist, but only when you define them in terms of being constructs of the human mind and understanding how such constructs come about, because that's all they "really" are.
construct of the human mind. so you are saying it only exists because we think it exists. why do humans think that it exists. why cant they be critical thinkers.

scaredytiger said:
more like, because theres no logical reason and it fits the definition of love to such an extent, "love" did it.
but there is no proof.

custard.apple

HSC
N/A
i believe love exists in very fleeting and non-permanent bouts.

it is a characteristic of the human condition to be fickle and move on quickly when something better comes along.

i may be cynical, but in my opinion its just a sad fact of life that we have to deal with.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
scaredytiger said:
well, except that i have, up until this point in my life, been generally removed to a degree from a relationship. ive desired companionship, and found it, but never been compelled to act beyond a degree of apathy.

i cared, but it was an empty caring, possibly a result of constant movement from one place to another, i dont know.

but something made it easy to remove that wall. and when that wall is removed, one is no longer filtering everything through self-interest.
altruism makes logical sense too... especially in light of evolution, remember it's survival of the species not necessarily survival of the individual.

melanieeeee. said:
construct of the human mind. so you are saying it only exists because we think it exists. why do humans think that it exists. why cant they be critical thinkers.
It's not like it's something we can choose to reject really because it's incredibly built into us genetically to care for one another for instance.

HSC
Enteebee said:
altruism makes logical sense too... especially in light of evolution, remember it's survival of the species not necessarily survival of the individual.
but the ways in which it is selective is not logical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)