Does parents' opinion counts? (1 Viewer)

olchik

HSC
Does parents' opinion count?

Would you date a guy/girl if your parents are against your realtionships?

Last edited:

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
nah, if my parents objected i would move on
because their opinion...i believe anyways is really important...and they can see faults in someone..but when you in love you are blind to that
ok soha shut up now.
that is all

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
noway, i'm not moving on just becoz they said something...i mean....i value what they think, but if i'm serious bout someone then i'm serious and nothing can make me back away (unless da person does somthin disrespektful) because after all, it's your life, not your parents and they are not always going to decide things for you.

olchik

HSC
Thanks soha for your reply! I share your point of view in a way.

santaslayer

HSC
yes, their opinion is fairly important. it has to be something important though...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Their opinion has a certain weight - however would possibly be hard to accept - though likely born out ultimately.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
I'm with soha, parents can always see things that we can't. If they don't approve simply 'cause they think you're "not ready" or something.. then I'd go against what they say. But if they think you're setting yourself up to get hurt, then take a bit of notice of them. Don't just go getting rid of your guy, but at least think about what they've got to say.

dani_123_5

HSC
N/A
olchik said:
Would you date a guy/girl if your parents are against your realtionships?

i did date a guy with my dad against it..he didnt want me to be with the guiy coz it was long distance and he said "i dont wanna see you get hurt" and sure enough i didnt listen and got hurt...o well i dont care! lol i did it once and i'd do it again.its my life not theirs

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
personally if my parents told me they didnt approve of a relationship id tell them to fuck off...
i live my own life and when it comes to love i answer only to myself...

bowing to your parents will in this situation is pitiful, and it shows you really dont care about the person in question...

Spencer-Cruise

HSC
I'm not my parents' biggest fan. Instinctively, like many, I'd probably feel the urge to go out and prove them wrong. But, I know better than that, and ideally I'd just take into account their view, and make sure I don't fall flat on my face at the end of the day, because that could well be awkward.

Last edited:

sabdow

HSC
soha said:
nah, if my parents objected i would move on
because their opinion...i believe anyways is really important...and they can see faults in someone..but when you in love you are blind to that
ok soha shut up now.
that is all
Soha, your parents' opinion would be;

"Is he muslim?"

"No"

"I never want you to hold his hand again."

And tell me, how can your parents see 'faults' in a person when they don't know them as well? Why don't you get opinions off your friends and the other person's friends to find out more.

What the fuck has your parents got to do with anything? Do your parents see your bf/gf at parties, do they see them around with their friends? They don't know much about the person, if anything at all.

They just judge them on their religion, their nationality, and what they're wearing when they see them. That's all they care about. Oh and let's not forget, they want them to be very intelligent in terms of school work and have straight A's (completely disregarding their personality).

If anything, 99% of parents want you to finish High School and be open for a relationship at 18 years old. Heck, even some parents want you to be clean until after you finish your univsersity studies.

This is 2005, society today is all about making an image and having a unique personality that is socially approachable. Look at the television advertisements, TV shows, magazines. Expectations are HIGHER now, both physically and intellectually. Back when your parents were married, most of the time - any female was paired with a male simply because she could cook and look after the kids while he went off to work everyday. Most people I know had their parents meet and after a month or so get married. Imagine that.

Sorry for the extensive post, but if you want somebody else running your own life then you need to wake up to yourself. How old are most of you? 17 years old? 18 years old? If you don't start to be independent of your own life, how do you think you'll cope in 5 years time.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I would.

My parents would never tell me anyway.

And even if they did it wouldn't matter. My parents don't know me as well as I know myself.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i'd take my parents opinions into consideration and respect how they feel on the situation but ultimately its my decision.
I mean, i'm 18 years old, i'm an adult now, it's time for me to take some responsibility for myself (although i did try to do this when i turned 17 as well). I can't be protected by my mother and father forever, if i fall in love and they dont approve and it doesnt work out, then i get hurt and i have to face the fact that I made the wrong decision.

but yeah, i would listen to them and consider what they are saying, but ultimately i think its your decision.. unless its a convicted sex offender and you're 12 years old and you think its love.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
sabdow said:
Soha, your parents' opinion would be;

"Is he muslim?"

"No"

"I never want you to hold his hand again."

And tell me, how can your parents see 'faults' in a person when they don't know them as well? Why don't you get opinions off your friends and the other person's friends to find out more.

What the fuck has your parents got to do with anything? Do your parents see your bf/gf at parties, do they see them around with their friends? They don't know much about the person, if anything at all.

They just judge them on their religion, their nationality, and what they're wearing when they see them. That's all they care about. Oh and let's not forget, they want them to be very intelligent in terms of school work and have straight A's (completely disregarding their personality).

If anything, 99% of parents want you to finish High School and be open for a relationship at 18 years old. Heck, even some parents want you to be clean until after you finish your univsersity studies.

This is 2005, society today is all about making an image and having a unique personality that is socially approachable. Look at the television advertisements, TV shows, magazines. Expectations are HIGHER now, both physically and intellectually. Back when your parents were married, most of the time - any female was paired with a male simply because she could cook and look after the kids while he went off to work everyday. Most people I know had their parents meet and after a month or so get married. Imagine that.

Sorry for the extensive post, but if you want somebody else running your own life then you need to wake up to yourself. How old are most of you? 17 years old? 18 years old? If you don't start to be independent of your own life, how do you think you'll cope in 5 years time.
i dont know about you
but i know bout ME
and i know my parents and i know my life and i know my potential boyfriends etc etc

and anyways..i would never have a non muslim boyfriend so they wouldnt have to object in the first place
and i dont think i will ever find myself ina situation where my parents would object to anyone i choose
but i still value their opinion

rhia

salty
HSC
i think that the opinion of your parents are important. generally, or ideally, your parents are looking out for your well being, as they've done for the entirity of your life (having raised you, fed you, wiped your backside, and on and on) and (ideally) will continue to do. families, especially parents, are for a life time: relationships may not be. i think that one would owe it to their parents to respect their opinion at least.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
It would depend. My parents are not THAT involved in my life as to say dont date that boy, date this boy instead. Thats a bit unhealthy imo. But my parents raised me with good morals and so my good morals will affect who I would or would not date, thus they affect my relationships indirectly. Im too stubborn, Mum would never go out and bluntly say 'Stop dating him he's wrong for you' she knows my instant reaction would be to turn away from her and ignore further advice. But Im sure she would subtly express her opinions and I may or may not consider them. It really depends on the situation and how well I know the guy. Y'know? Maybe not. But I know what Im saying :p

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
it would depend on how they approach me and my relationship with them.

"you're an adult now, and you have a good judge of character when you choose your friends. I'm sure you must see something in [so-and-so] but I can't see it at the moment. For now, I don't feel that [so-and-so] seems to deserve you, but I trust you know what you are doing, and I'm there for you always to support you"

VS

"DUMP THAT FREAK OF NATURE NOW OR YOU'RE GROUNDED"

mine's the second.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)