Does Standard English drop your mark? (1 Viewer)

Josh17

Hey people...I'm doing all hard subjects (IPT, Legal, Economics, Advanced Maths) but for some stupid reason I dropped to Standard English at the start of Yr 12. Will this affect my UAI too much?

Josh.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are both scaled in the same way.

Theoretically, there is no disadvantage. In practise, you might not do as well as you could have done - that depends entirely on you.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
APPARENTLY (i dont know if this is true or not, its just what my teacher told me (i do advanced), she is the head teacher english at my school and a senior hsc marker) that something or other isnt taught to standard kids that they need to get above a band 4...so, theoretically, 79 is the highest you can get for english...but last year i think there was like 5 kids in the state that did standard that got in the band 5's...
so, umm, yeah, dont jump down my throat for this, its just what my teacher told us

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by asymptote03
well.....i dont think its hard to get a band 5 in standard......i got 82.5 in my trial even though i virtually have no help from school and i depend on tutoring,....n i hope to get a band 5...

well i don't think it is dat easy......just see it this way...... only 4-5 students in the entire state get a band 5 in standard english....
moreover if u get 82.5 in ur trials , this doesn't mean dat u can get it EASILY in the HSc....but i m not sayin' it is impossible!!!!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by elizabethy
well i don't think it is dat easy......just see it this way...... only 4-5 students in the entire state get a band 5 in standard english....
moreover if u get 82.5 in ur trials , this doesn't mean dat u can get it EASILY in the HSc....but i m not sayin' it is impossible!!!!!
yeah, just coz you got that in yuor trial doesnt mean you iwll in your hsc. and you might be one of the few that does manage it.

if they scale the same, how come adv. is over 25, and stnd is under 25?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
getting >so stop making assumptions about other people......and hsc is always better than the trials!
i wouldnt rely simply on the fact that the 'hsc is always better than the trial' coz you have no idea what their going to throw us.

Shocker_85

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i wouldnt rely simply on the fact that the 'hsc is always better than the trial' coz you have no idea what their going to throw us.
true...but theres time 2 practice!!!

Shocker_85

Originally posted by elizabethy

what u have written implies that u mite not do as well in the HSC as u did in ur trials..?? is it?

craz

HSC
u also have to think for some ppl like me. standard english is a challenge like i do really bad in exam like situations. it shoudnt affect the mark - english standard and advanced are scaled the same - i think the same as lazarus said.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
getting > 80 % in english standard trials places u in the top 1.3% of the state....so stop making assumptions about other people..... u never know......and hsc is always better than the trials!

BULL CRAP!!!!!:eek:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by Shocker_85
what u have written implies that u mite not do as well in the HSC as u did in ur trials..?? is it?

did u even get wat i have written????? i didn't say nething abt doing well in trials doesn't mean u won't do well in HSC....or vice -versa.....well i think , first go n read n try 2 understand wat i have written......moreover who told u dat i have done gud in my trials...????? first of all ....how do u know wat my marks are???? secondly....even if u happen to read it in someother posts.....n u think dat i have done gud....then i think dat ur standards are below mine.......:p co'z i don't think i have done gud......but gr8 Shocker_85 thinks i have!!!!!!! woohohooo!!!!

certainly.....ur standards are below mine!!!:cool:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC

so true!!!!

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
getting > 80 % in english standard trials places u in the top 1.3% of the state....so stop making assumptions about other people..... u never know......and hsc is always better than the trials!

i never made ne asumption abt neone....u idiot! how is it dat u can't understand simple english but still happen to boast abt ur so called skillz.... u r such a BOASTER.......:apig:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Kn1ght_M4r3
coz maybe ur just not interested.
was that aimed at me? coz if it was, you have no idea what you are on about. im not interested? thats why i top advanced in everything we've done..

Josh17

now now people, I didn't start the thread to make a cat fight. Relax...
I'm more confused now then when I started the thread...should never have asked lol

Josh.

Pudgedog

apparently from what i can gather, its scaled the same, but there are rumours that standard dont teach you things that you need to reach top marks.

though i only read the first three or four posts.

baby_mulanz

so bored ~ sleepy
awww fuck i hate English standard.... all this bad news I'm getting AFTER i've dropped from Adv to standard... amzing how no one told me before dammit

baby_mulanz

so bored ~ sleepy
Originally posted by natstar
Trials are said to be always harder than the actual HSC exam. This may not be for some ppl but alot of ppl i know said this, even teachers say this.
but then... you don't really know because the people who mark the exams might mark too hard or too easy compared to the HSC markers... so you really have no idea what to expect your HSC marks to be which is why im really worried... and about the sscaling crap too

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
APPARENTLY (i dont know if this is true or not, its just what my teacher told me (i do advanced), she is the head teacher english at my school and a senior hsc marker) that something or other isnt taught to standard kids that they need to get above a band 4...so, theoretically, 79 is the highest you can get for english...but last year i think there was like 5 kids in the state that did standard that got in the band 5's...
so, umm, yeah, dont jump down my throat for this, its just what my teacher told us
I think theres more than just 5 kids in the state who got band 5.
If my calculations are correct...there should be around 480 who get band 5 in standard english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)