• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does the amount of units u do affect scaling and stuff... (1 Viewer)

FinalFantasy

HSC
If i only do 10units worth of subjects, is that not as good as doing 13units worth of subjects even if i don't use the other 3?

claudia_p

HSC
As long as you don't stuff any of your exams up and you actually study during some of your free periods, it won't make a difference.

They can only count 10 units towards your UAI- your best 2 units of English and your best 8 of everything else. It's just that some people like to take more subjects in case something goes wrong in one of them or just that they are interested in it.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Doesnt make a difference so long as you got exactly the same marks in the same 10 units

FinalFantasy

HSC
ok thx...
im just worried cuz some ppl tend to say that dey got low marks cuz dey only did 10 units..
i currently have 13 units, and theres 3 silly units sticking out(SOR 1, SDD)
religion i was FORCED to do it by my stupid school and i CAN'T DROP IT LOL
it gonna end up having band 1 on my HSC certificate -_-
SDD i intend to drop it if it doesn't matter if amount of units is not proportional to scaling.

Kulazzi

HSC
yeah, I dropped SDD b-c I really didn't understand the content (coding and such) and also because my teacher was crap. And I'd also had to do three major works and our school doesn't allow anymone to do three majors so SDD was my first choice to drop. But apparently it has a high scaling (which is why one of my friends dropped it, picked it back up and dropped IPT) :rolleyes:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
FinalFantasy said:
ok thx...
im just worried cuz some ppl tend to say that dey got low marks cuz dey only did 10 units..
i currently have 13 units, and theres 3 silly units sticking out(SOR 1, SDD)
religion i was FORCED to do it by my stupid school and i CAN'T DROP IT LOL
it gonna end up having band 1 on my HSC certificate -_-
SDD i intend to drop it if it doesn't matter if amount of units is not proportional to scaling.
The only advantage with 13 unit is that you have back up units in case you screw up in some subjects.

FinalFantasy

HSC
Kulazzi said:
yeah, I dropped SDD b-c I really didn't understand the content (coding and such) and also because my teacher was crap. And I'd also had to do three major works and our school doesn't allow anymone to do three majors so SDD was my first choice to drop. But apparently it has a high scaling (which is why one of my friends dropped it, picked it back up and dropped IPT) :rolleyes:
Wow.. u can drop subjects and pick dem back up?!!
Yeah i heard about da major works in SDD, it's gonna take a lot of work and effort for me to get 90%+ in SDD so i might as well drop it.
Too time consuming for a low scaling subject.. (last time i saw it doesn't scale any good, it scaled less than religion lol)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
Yeah i heard about da major works in SDD, it's gonna take a lot of work and effort for me to get 90%+ in SDD so i might as well drop it.
Too time consuming for a low scaling subject.. (last time i saw it doesn't scale any good, it scaled less than religion lol)
IPT has worse scaling, but is easier to do well in.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
FinalFantasy said:
Remember though that the major work isnt part of your HSC exam like other subjects

FinalFantasy

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
IPT has worse scaling, but is easier to do well in.
yes... IPT easier to do well AND it hardly takes any time as well... it is just common sense most of it. Dat's y i choose to do IPT instead lol

Claudia

HSC
N/A
Hey but remembr that no one this yr who got 100 UAI did just 10 units, no one.... so like, i think it IS proportional for some reason. If you do just 10 units, you tend to spend too much time on them and go beyond the syllabus, kinda brining your marks down. Spreading ur time across more subjects leads to more cramming-style studying, the best, most effective and productive kind, and ultimately the highest UAI with less work overall.

FinalFantasy

HSC
Claudia said:
Hey but remembr that no one this yr who got 100 UAI did just 10 units, no one.... so like, i think it IS proportional for some reason. If you do just 10 units, you tend to spend too much time on them and go beyond the syllabus, kinda brining your marks down. Spreading ur time across more subjects leads to more cramming-style studying, the best, most effective and productive kind, and ultimately the highest UAI with less work overall.
But I won't get 100.. What about those ppl w\ 98, 99 UAI..?
Do some of them only did 10 units?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Claudia said:
Maybe it's complacency.
I.e. "I only do 10 units, I get 10 study periods a week so I don't have to study" kind of attitude...the better people would actually take advantage of only having 10 units, and get 100 with it. (although people such as laurie do 15...and get 100) :confused:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
But I won't get 100.. What about those ppl w\ 98, 99 UAI..?
Do some of them only did 10 units?
16% of the 839 students who got 98.00-98.95 did 10 units :)

FinalFantasy

HSC
Thank You. Now I am confident about dropping the boring SDD! Muahaha!
I'll drop it as soon as the teacher hands out the major assignment.

lala2

Banned
HSC
In 2002, a girl topped Biology, came 8th or soemthing in Legal Studies and 12th or something in PDHPE, and she did only ten units and achieevd a UAI of 100 (her other four units were 2U Maths and 2U English). So you can achieve miracle results, but you have to be sure of yourself, that's all. But eleven units isn't too bad, though....you never know, SOR might come in useful....

And what does your school recommend? Our school is really against anyoen doing 11 units, let alone 10 untis (I think your parents have to write in and stuff and really give good reason why you wanna do 10 units), so see what your school says.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
lala2 said:
In 2002, a girl topped Biology, came 8th or soemthing in Legal Studies and 12th or something in PDHPE, and she did only ten units and achieevd a UAI of 100 (her other four units were 2U Maths and 2U English). So you can achieve miracle results, but you have to be sure of yourself, that's all. But eleven units isn't too bad, though....you never know, SOR might come in useful....

And what does your school recommend? Our school is really against anyoen doing 11 units, let alone 10 untis (I think your parents have to write in and stuff and really give good reason why you wanna do 10 units), so see what your school says.
Interesting...it's always difficult to get a UAI in the high 99s with Business/PD/Legal/Art etc. when you're doing 10 units. Your friend must have really aced them all.

zhongie

HSC
I don't think it really matters. So long as you do well. I did 13 units and some would say that's alot to keep track of, but I got Band 6 in all of them. So, it really depends on whether you're confident or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)