Does the Burka restrict the freedom of women (1 Viewer)

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
feminism: having the FREEDOM to sit in a cubicle eight hours a day and then drive your toyota corolla home to your cats and sex in the city DVDs

Garygaz

HSC
does anyone really need to debate this issue?

i mean, on a basic level, it's essentially sexist dribble from the age of un-enlightenment stating that women need to cover themselves up from the prying eyes of men.

then you come to this stupid point of;

'well i CHOOSE to wear the burqa because it is my religious tradition, i am not forced to'

well this argument is even worse. when you are raised from birth with a particular ideal/religion force fed to you and being convinced that straying from such a path will lead to eternal damnation, of course your whole conscious and ability to think are clouded by this. you, arguably, most likely will not believe that wearing cloth everywhere but your eyes is the right thing to do, but your corrupted reason thanks to religion has completely shattered your logic and hence - burqa is okay.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Luke 4:16 "He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom."

And thanks to Christianity and Catholicism the temple/church system is now on Sunday and operated by an elite army of child molesters headed by a guy who looks like Emperor Palpatine.

View attachment 23801
*gets his copy of the Bible somewhere*

*will play devil's advocate because it's always fun to oppose*

Hmm, okay. So the argument you're putting forth is... "Because Jesus went into the synagogue to worship on the Sabbath, we all need to as well". That's... arguable, I'd say a more correct argument is: "Jesus went into the synagogue to worship on the Sabbath, so we should follow his example" - because it is not a "Thou shalt worship me every Sabbath" sort of thing, to me.

Garygaz

HSC
mohommad said we should rape 9 year olds so we SHOULD follow his example

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Hmm, okay. So the argument you're putting forth is... "Because Jesus went into the synagogue to worship on the Sabbath, we all need to as well". That's... arguable, I'd say a more correct argument is: "Jesus went into the synagogue to worship on the Sabbath, so we should follow his example" - because it is not a "Thou shalt worship me every Sabbath" sort of thing, to me.
it is one of the ten commandments, if you don't do it you're doomed to purgatory

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I think we should get qawe - BOS' resident Christian - to figure out what that means in the grand context of things.

EDIT: But uhh, I don't think there's a purgatory mentioned in the Bible anyways.

Last edited:

AcidDrops

Banned
HSC
burkas are bad for their health. muslim women who wear it regularly wont be getting essential vitamin D from the sun. and also they look soooooo bad.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Commandment number four (iirc) says to keep the sabbath holy and to not work.

Not at home so don't have a bible nearby

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
oh btw, I'm not a Bible scholar or anything - I'm just a recipient of one of those study Bibles with interpretive notes. /disclaimer

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Purgatory is not explicitly mentioned in the bible. Some people think some verses allude to it though. Really the concept was taken advantage of by the catholic church for their own gain IMO

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
Purgatory is not explicitly mentioned in the bible. Some people think some verses allude to it though. Really the concept was taken advantage of by the catholic church for their own gain IMO
No biblical references it is a purely catholic concept just like the virgin birth being that mary was born to a virgin as well and thus had no original sin
those cathos

Garygaz

HSC
woah really, where is this Koran verse
woah really, maybe you should read the quran or google one of the 100,000,000 hits you'll get.

or maybe it makes it easier if you replace him saying with him doing and us following in his footsteps

AgentGreeny

HSC

I'm saying the entire story is ridiculous and it's based on copies of copies of translations of fictional stories and stolen myths that were fit around a prior story.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm saying the entire story is ridiculous and it's based on copies of copies of translations of fictional stories and stolen myths that were fit around a prior story.

Yeah I almost stopped watching when it says "Jesus was born on December 25". Umm, Queen Elizabeth II was not born on "The Queen's Birthday" holiday. It's just that December 25 was chosen as the date in which we celebrate Christ. iirc, early Christians chose the date because of some Pagan holiday or whatnot.

So I'm not sure about that video's "astrological/astronomical" approach - seems like bullcrap to me.

The correct approach to go to is to actually go and find historical accounts and not attempted astrological/astronomical reasonings. I'm sure if you go look hard enough, you'll find historical accounts - go from there, not this silly star crap.

AgentGreeny

HSC
Yeah I almost stopped watching when it says "Jesus was born on December 25". Umm, Queen Elizabeth II was not born on "The Queen's Birthday" holiday. It's just that December 25 was chosen as the date in which we celebrate Christ. iirc, early Christians chose the date because of some Pagan holiday or whatnot.

So I'm not sure about that video's "astrological/astronomical" approach - seems like bullcrap to me.

The correct approach to go to is to actually go and find historical accounts and not attempted astrological/astronomical reasonings. I'm sure if you go look hard enough, you'll find historical accounts - go from there, not this silly star crap.
If you hadn't bothered to stop watching you would see it's a video explaining where the Jesus myths actually came from, and why they're not actually real stories.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you hadn't bothered to stop watching you would see it's a video explaining where the Jesus myths actually came from, and why they're not true.
I watched the whole video. But what Jesus myths is it actually 'debunking'? You mean things like "He was born in Bethlehem", "Three Magi came from the East", "He rose from the dead after three days", "He was crucified".

I mean, the point where I just went - "Nah, okay: wait.... what?" - was when it gave the 'astrological explanation' about crucifixion at 3:20-odd. I'm not sure we can give an astrological explanation, because it actually happened - I think most of us can agree that it's an historical event, I think that it is an historical event. iirc, Muslims don't believe it happened but... who knows.

So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take back from that - is it, "These Jesus myths are all wrong because there's a perfectly logical astrological/astronomical explanation for all of it"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)