Does the uni you get your law degree from really matter? (1 Viewer)

gapathetic

HSC
So my question is, does the uni you get your law degree from really matter? Specifically between the 4 main ones in sydney (i.e. usyd, unsw, uts, macq). In terms of gaining internships and ultimately employment when you graduate.

Would you be disadvantaged if you didnt go to a prestigious university even though you got a D/HD average? Compared to someone who went to a group of 8 uni and only got a credit average...

Like what do employers find more important- marks or university attended?

cheers

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Uni does matter, but it shouldn't, but that's life I guess.

Marks play a part, but I think you'll find average marks at good uni = decent marks at bad uni.

The problem lies in the sheer number of legal graduates, and the small number of decent jobs.

But yeh, if they feel that you will make a substantial contribution to their legal firm, an employer will hire you. The thing is, the graduate from the top 4 unis, generally seem to be the most capable for these prestigious grad jobs.

mecramarathon

HSC
apparently some top law firms only recruit graduates from monash, usyd, anu and unsw

law is one of those few careers where uni reputation does matter to some degree unlike medicine

HSC
N/A
apparently some top law firms only recruit graduates from monash, usyd, anu and unsw

law is one of those few careers where uni reputation does matter to some degree unlike medicine
of course.
you'd be ignorant to think otherwise.

like the US firms hiring only those from harvard/yale

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)