Does uni matter? (1 Viewer)

Mazar97

HSC
Does the uni you go to matter for nursing?
So I got offers WSU, UTS, Usyd, UOW
I would love to go to UTS but unfortunately the fees is a bit to much since I’m an international student.
I get a scholarship from Western Sydney and usyd but I’ve decided to take the western Sydney offer since it’s less expensive and it’s also just the normal nursing instead of advanced nursing which usyd offers.
I know wsu has a bad rep and I remember even my career advisor being against me going to the uni. So just wanted to know does the uni I go to really matter in the long run?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on the degree, and what career you are aiming to get out of it.

For Nursing, I would suspect that the ability to amount of placements would be something that would be important to consider when selecting the degree.

c8

HSC
For nursing my first recommendation would always be uts but since you can't go there, I'd say wsu as (despite being a lower ranked uni and the perception that it is a bad uni) it actually is pretty good for nursing and there is a good emphasis on clinical work. With regard to stuff like placements if you have a particular interest in working at a specific uni check what connections the uni has to hospitals (wsu does work with hospitals in western sydney etc). That being said though when you graduate, hospitals aren't looking at what uni you came from and you graduate a nurse at either university so similar to medicine, it does not exactly matter which you choose so factor in things such as location and scholarship etc

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
The Uni you graduate from doesn’t make a difference. A scholarship is a pretty big incentive. Congratulations!

Husky

HSC
Uh not sure what most people are on about but the hard truth is that in most cases, the uni does matter and it's not just a simple case of "each uni offers the same degree" when the quality of that respective degree is better at a particular uni in comparison to others. A higher quality degree will set you up better for the workforce whereas a rushed shitty degree will not and hence, you'll struggle to effectively do your job.

It's a known fact that some universities are better than other's in certain areas of study, e.g. unsw is known to have better engineering facilities than usyd, and in general as another example you shouldn't go to macquarie for engineering as it's not known for it, although macquarie might be superior to all other universities in other areas of study. The uni you choose to go to should be based on whichever one is better for nursing, and if that is uws then go to that uni for your course.

Time&moretime

HSC
I heard that some uni courses don't transfer easily from one uni to another. Therefore, the uni does matter. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)