does unsw look at your year 12 subjects or just your atar? (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
hey i am wanting to do an engineering degree at UNSW but i am not the best at math in the world so for the presumed knowledges sake i am undertaking 3 unit. so if i find 3 unit brain explodingly difficult and drop it and carry on with 2 unit and get the required atar, will UNSW accept me with 2 units or will they make me do bridging courses or what? have any of you uni students done engineering with only 2 unit math?

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
Some of my friends did 2u maths in high school and they did bridging course

yeah they found maths in uni's pretty hard (1 failed, and most of them just passed 51-59)

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
A lot of my friends have got into UNSW Engineering with 2U maths. They don't look at your subjects as long as you reach their required ATAR entry. If you wanted to apply with a lower ATAR, then your subjects may be taken under consideration.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you find maths difficult though, I would probably reconsider doing engineering unless there's a particular field you want to enter which isn't as maths-intensive.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
I have friends who did 4u maths and they still find engineering hard...
2u and 3u maths in not enough to cope with engineering at all.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
A lot of my friends have got into UNSW Engineering with 2U maths. They don't look at your subjects as long as you reach their required ATAR entry. If you wanted to apply with a lower ATAR, then your subjects may be taken under consideration.
so basically for example i did:
drama
english adv
legal
business
japanese
history

and get 91 atar i am allowed to do engineering at unsw?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
If you find maths difficult though, I would probably reconsider doing engineering unless there's a particular field you want to enter which isn't as maths-intensive.

Last edited:

Verify

HSC
so basically for example i did:
drama
english adv
legal
business
japanese
history

and get 91 atar i am allowed to do engineering at unsw?
Ye you got the required atar so why not

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
l was in the exact same situation as you.
l found 3 unit maths really hard, l got in the 20's for every test and l didn't pass my trials.
for my hsc exam l probably got like 30% in the exam and got scaled up to 70%. so my point is even if you fail and suck at it you'll get scaled up heaps.
and the knowledge that you gain from just doing 3 unit is invaluable if you want do do engineering at unsw.

but unforlornedhope is right, the maths level is higher than 4 unit from the start.

buuut l got in by FEAS. you should check it out too if you're worried about not getting the required ATAR.

probjer

HSC
If you get the atar of course you'll get in. I have mates that only did 2U math and they are doing just fine (as long as you put the effort in + there are consultation hours with lecturers if you don't get the theory + there is free 1 on 1 maths tutoring with 3rd year or higher maths students which are really helpful)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)