Does working out stunt growth? (1 Viewer)

3Gis2G

HSC
Does it?
I've heard mixed opinions on this topic.
Having not yet had a proper growth spurt, I am quite confused as to whether or not doing weights would prevent me from getting taller.

Opinions would be much appreciated.

P.S. Do protein powders actually work? Do they actually make you bulk up?

Last edited:

Guesss

HSC
I've heard that yes doing weights at an early age will stunt your growth. :eek:

Also yes i know that protein powders do make yu bulk up, but yu gtta excercise and stuff at the same time.

lol. I can recommend yu the names of two good protein supplements if yu want?

*btw yes i am a girl, however my uncle was a body builder, my dad + cuz's work out* lol :p

Guesss

HSC
btw how tall r yu already? Cause yu sorta stop growing around this age i think?!?! lol. I have :(

Raif

Banned
HSC
Women stop growing around around 16 (Average), while men on average stop growth anywhere between 17 to 21.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
no idea if working out stunts your growth.

protein powder simply provides you with protein for muscle repair/growth.

you need a certain intake of protein depending on your current mass and stuff, right? So.. look at the foods that give you protein and how much protein content they actually contain, you can eat massive slabs of steak, or like 10 eggs, OR you can have a couple of scoops of protein powder in a milkshake. Say an egg contains about 6 grams of protein, the egg itself is 60g, that's 10% protein. The rest of it is stuff like sodium/fat/gloop/whatever.
Protein powder is normally 80-90% protein, so there's a higher concentration, so you get more protein intake.

basically, protein powders work if you use it correctly, it's probably bad for you if you take too much though, fucks up your kidneys i think.

edit: 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight is how much u should be taking. So if u way 65, and work out regulary, you should be taking 130g of protein per day. that's 20 eggs, or a couple of eggs, a piece of chicken, and a scoop of powder.

Last edited:
HSC
no idea if working out stunts your growth.

protein powder simply provides you with protein for muscle repair/growth.

you need a certain intake of protein depending on your current mass and stuff, right? So.. look at the foods that give you protein and how much protein content they actually contain, you can eat massive slabs of steak, or like 10 eggs, OR you can have a couple of scoops of protein powder in a milkshake. Say an egg contains about 6 grams of protein, the egg itself is 60g, that's 10% protein. The rest of it is stuff like sodium/fat/gloop/whatever.
Protein powder is normally 80-90% protein, so there's a higher concentration, so you get more protein intake.
raw eggs are far better than protein powders.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i dont see how that's possible.

eggs are approximately 60g and contain 6g of protein, so that's 10% protein, right?

the protein powder i bought has 84g (i think) of protein per 100g, 84% content.

i'd rather chug down a scoop of protein powder in a shake, than drink 5-6 eggs :S

HSC
and also, the protein contained in eggs is of the purest kind. protein powder companies test the purity of their protein against that of eggs.

Guesss

HSC
Thats coz your a WOMAN!!!
Ohh step back :eek: !

Yeah, how cool am i?
HEY WTF, WHY IS THERE A RED BOX UNDER MY NAME!!
Bahaha... it wasnt me! lol

Yeh. My dad + uncle used to drink the white part of the egg. Eww much?

well i guess eggs contain other beneficial vitamins/essential amino acids/etc
guesss. And yes that is correct. :p

HSC
No it in no way stunts your growth. Have you seen those tall basketball players and average height rugby players? most of them have been working out with weights since they were 13.

It's a myth that it stunts your growth.

dydx

HSC
yeah i heard working out stunts growth. So i stayed away from it...now i'm a weak, skinny kid LOL

I think working out wouldn't stunt your growth if you don't put too much strain on your spinal cord.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yeah i heard working out stunts growth. So i stayed away from it...now i'm a weak, skinny kid LOL

I think working out wouldn't stunt your growth if you don't put too much strain on your spinal cord.
did you know that you're shorter at the end of the day before you go to bed, and you're taller when you wake up in the morning?

that's because during the day the weight of your body pushes down on the squishy discs between your spine, so you shorten a tiny bit, and while you sleep (horizontally) it expands, so in the morning when you get up you're a tiny bit taller.

none of this matters at all, height is based on genetics.

i dont think doing weights will stunt your growth.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
1. Working out does not stunt your growth
2. Protein powder is a SUPPLEMENT. It is a convenient way to get extra protein and will only help you "bulk up" if you're lifting and have a caloric excess (more calories in vs calories out)
3. Raw eggs will give you food poisoning. A raw egg does not give you anymore protein that what a fired egg would.

/thread.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
did you know that you're shorter at the end of the day before you go to bed, and you're taller when you wake up in the morning?

that's because during the day the weight of your body pushes down on the squishy discs between your spine, so you shorten a tiny bit, and while you sleep (horizontally) it expands, so in the morning when you get up you're a tiny bit taller.

none of this matters at all, height is based on genetics.

i dont think doing weights will stunt your growth.
genetics provides the base for height, diet and hormone balance does effect your eventual height.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I think it only stunts your growth if you start out too young

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)