Does you fellow students affect you? (1 Viewer)

LiLBoBo

HSC
i just want someone to solve the myth, that if you have noob friends, they'll drag you down in the HSC, some say if you do REALLY well, it won't affect you, but if you do average, then you're screwed for life. Plus, im worried because i go to a sport school, and sporties are idiots, dunno if i should move school or not? what do you think?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'd say moving school when you're in the middle of your HSC is a little bit late, don't you? :p

But to be honest, a lot of the people at my school are better than me, and that sorta forces me to work harder. So on the contrary, 'bad' friends would affect you adversely.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah they definitely do, even if ur at the top they can, say if ur coming first in everything and ur school isn't too good (at academics), then u wudn't know your level compared to the rest of the state....maybe

and also, say if ur friends wanted to go out after school everyday/every weekend and do stuff, and u do, it cud affect ur study and yeah...like in the hols, my friends and i went to the library to study sorta....

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
The only part of the HSC process where your classmates directly affect your results is in assessment moderation. Really, if you want good marks, you just have to work hard yourself - you can't do too much about other students who suck at everything.

terminator69

HSC
LiLBoBo said:
LOL! im year 10! but im a smart kid, doing 2 unit maths HSC next Monday ;), but the rest of my school are idiots
Well your profile says "HSC: 2008".

chltmddus112

HSC
They do indeed.

After i changed my school from approx 180th ranked school to approx 40th ranked school, i worked harder and i am doin pretty well now =)

So, yeah, if u r year 10 now, and smart enough to do HSC now, y dont u try move to a selective school? or even private schools that r ranked high.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
chltmddus112 said:
They do indeed.

After i changed my school from approx 180th ranked school to approx 40th ranked school, i worked harder and i am doin pretty well now =)

So, yeah, if u r year 10 now, and smart enough to do HSC now, y dont u try move to a selective school? or even private schools that r ranked high.
same here, at my old school i had really good mates and was failing, changed school in year 11 had no friends and now i do really well.

dolbinau

HSC
It won't affect your marks at all. If you came first in your school assessments, then came first in the HSC exam your final mark would basically be your HSC exam mark.

But because apparently you might have had it easier it may be harder for you to do well if you've had a lesser education.

If hypothetically you came 5th in a class then 1st in the HSC and you were at a crap school then you probably would be affected, but the system works so that if you came first in the assessments you 'should' come first in the HSC (as you should be trying your hardest in both external+external). Or if you came 5th in a class then you come 5th in the HSC etc... At leastthat is what I think.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
what sport school is it out of interest? endeavour?

but yeah i basically reckon. regardless of what school you are at, the only real motivation and results can only come from you.

i go to a selective high school and i have literally struggled to motivate myself for basiaclly since year 7 till only just the end of year 11. and trust me having super geniouses around me didnt help or anything like you would expect.

the thing to remember about schools and scaling and all that jazz is two simple truths.
1. you do well in subjects you like - serously choosing subjects that 'scale well' is a bunch of useless crap if you dont like the subject and you are gonna go 'ahhhhhh man i dont wanna study that' when it comes exam time. choose subjects you like so you can find it easier to study and do well in them. cos if you do well in your subjects you dont even need to worry about scaling.

2. same principle except with school - STAY AT A SCHOOL YOU LIKE. seriously if you really reallyl really dont like the school your at. if your feeling bad about it every day. then change. no point going to a new school which it turns out you dont even really like anyway and finding it hard to settle into life and work at the new school. not good.

theres my nugget of wisdom for you =]

LiLBoBo

HSC
Thanks for all your advices, very helpful. By the way Im from Westfields Sports the "oh so cool" school that breeds olympians, but totally useless in academic acheivements. Its just that i live in a noob area, fairvale, cabra FTW? junkie much? (no affence) but yeah, ima try my best, and do things i love! :):):):)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
like in the hols, my friends and i went to the library to study sorta....
Yeah, but that means jackshit unless you're actually going to be doing work there. :p

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ajdlinux said:
Worth the tradeoff? ;)
ill be honest, i don't know.

I know for a fact if i had stayed at my old school i would have dropped out in year 11, but i would have been a lot happier i think.

Now i do really well and am going to uni next year (something i never thought i would do) but ive been pretty depressed and lonely for the last two years.

ive thought about this many times and i still don't know the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)