Does your school affect your results for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I am year 10 at a new school. This is the first year that we will have 7-10.

Alot of people in the years above us have changed schools to do their senior years and their HSC.

I want the best possible opportunity to get the best HSC UAI I can, and Im really not sure my school can help me get there. My school doesnt have alot of couses because the teachers arent there. It will be interesting to see how my school ranks end of this year but to be honest I dont think it will be that great.

Would it be best to change schools to a school that has a reputation?
When is it best to make this deicision?
What is the best way to persuade me mum who seems to think its the best school on the planet? lol

Thanks in advanced. =]

me121

Premium Member
HSC
agirlinatutu said:

Alot of people in the years above us have changed schools to do their senior years and their HSC.

I want the best possible opportunity to get the best HSC UAI I can, and Im really not sure my school can help me get there. My school doesnt have alot of couses because the teachers arent there. It will be interesting to see how my school ranks end of this year but to be honest I dont think it will be that great.

What is the best way to persuade me mum who seems to think its the best school on the planet? lol

Thanks in advanced. =]
hmm thats a though question. first thing to note is that when it comes to the calculation of you UAI, you school does not affect this. now you may hear people say that others will drag you down, but this is not the case. firstly other's marks cannot affect your exam mark (50% of you hsc mark). It can only affect your internal school assessment mark (the other 50% of your hsc mark). Another thing to note is that if you come 1st in your school assessment then you will get for your school assessment mark, the highest exam mark out of everyone in your course in your school. If you don't come first, then the system is set up to be fair. Most of the time people's school mark is very close to their exam mark anyway.

The other factor to consider is the other students/teachers at the school, because they do have an affect on you. I was lucky that i got to you to a good school, where i had competition. if you have no competition then you have less motivation to do better. if you have lots of competition the you have more motivation to improve.

the other thing is the teachers. I believe that having good teachers is the biggest factor in hsc success. however that said, many people still do well even if they either don't have a teacher or have a crap one. Although, if you change into another school and you are at the bottom of the class, that can ruin your self esteem. I know one guy who was pretty much at the top of the year in yr 10, but he moved to a selective school where he got all band 5's. thats not to say that band 5 is not good enough, but i think if he stayed at my school he could have done better.

anyway.. i better stop rambling on.. this probably makes no sense.. hope it helps

boris

Banned
HSC
agirlinatutu said:

Thanks in advanced. =]
No I don't think the school matters.

I went to a tiny school and we had to join with 7 other schools to do our HSC by video conferencing. My biology teacher was at one school, maths teacher at another, English teacher at mine...etc.

If there was a course we wanted that wasn't offered (and most of them were because of the way we were spread out across schools), we had the option of doing it by distance education through Dubbo.

We had a girl in the year below me get a UAI of 97 and get into medicine. A student who did CAFS by the distance education system (thru Dubbo) topped the state.

It is more dependent on yourself as a student than it is on your school

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Thanks for the replies.

To correct my orginaly post it should be the first year 7-12.

It wasnt something that I thought about until a fair few people started talking about it, and I started to think about it myself.

I am an A grade student, and have been in the top class in year 7. My biggest problem is my motivation. I dont really want to be at my current school. I know everyone hates their school, but I think the biggest problem I have with it is new and has quite a few teething probelms when it comes to senior years. I would rather not be caugth up in that. The school that I am thinking about going to next year is the school I orginally would have gone to had I not moved house. Its where I have always wanted to go. Its another public school with a good acedmic reputation.

I am planning on going to the Year 11 information nights and make my decision then. But I do think I will change.

bassistx

HSC
Forget it.
Stay at your school and do well. You're scaled etc depending on your class (ie your rank). If you go to a smartass school and you're dumb then you'll just get lower - you won't be better off.
Just do whatever you enjoy, the HSC isn't the end of the world.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Ha I didnt say I was dumb actually I said the opposite. I have a aim for a 95+ hopefully 97 UAI. :jaw:The school isnt super super smart either. But everyone is entitled to their opinion and I appeciate your reply.

bassistx

HSC
If you're smart, then wtf are you worrying about this trash for?
Seriously, get over it lol :)

You're years away. I'm the one who should be freaking, not you haha.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
ahhh.. but i knew someone who's school was 7-10, but got extended to 7-12 and he was the first year at that school to do year 12.

Hmm.. if the teachers stay the same then they may not have good enough experience in the 11-12 course. my friend's school got low uai, with only 1>UAI90, which was 95. So if your school is extending then.. you may want to consider changing.. I'm not sure what you should do though.. the fact that your school is extending makes the decision a fair bit harder.

rdevlin

HSC
If you're a good student, you'll succeed anywhere. This is all background noise.

Don't take the teachers being inexperienced in teaching the course as a bad thing - actually, it could mean they are more motivated than experienced teachers are.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
bassistx said:
If you're smart, then wtf are you worrying about this trash for?
Seriously, get over it lol :)

You're years away. I'm the one who should be freaking, not you haha.
um. :hammer: Im not freaking out and its not trash. Its called looking at your opprotunties and working out what my best option is. If it means the difference between a good UAI and a GREAT UAI then Im willing to make that happen.
And Im pretty sure when you were in year 10 would have wanted advice not being treated like trash.

Personally, I think in a few years this school will be great. Its got a few years to work its major teething problems out.

me121 - Thanks. Yeah that is my major concern. If Im going to change when is the best time to make that decision?

boosa

HSC
I dont think it does. I live in a small town and our school has 200 ppl there (including primary) and we always recieve really good marks for our yr 10 and HCS! And its better because we can get one on one help with our teachers because its so small

me121

Premium Member
HSC
agirlinatutu said:
me121 - Thanks. Yeah that is my major concern. If Im going to change when is the best time to make that decision?
If (remember i am not saying you should do one or the other, i am mearly trying to present view for both sides of the argument), so if you decided to change schools then i suggest you do it at the end of year 10. a lot of changes happen then, so you will probably find it easier to transfer and fit in then.

But also i suggest you talk to your current teachers. Tell them why you are thinking of changing schools and ask for their advice, but of course they will most likely be bias.

bassistx

HSC
Sorry to disappoint you, but in year10, I wasn't even thinking of uni.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Fair enough ^ Not sure why I would be disappointed.

Me121 - Thanks a million for your replies.
Im not sure if its the same at every school, but after I do my certificate, I have a week of work experience, then I can sign out if I have a job (which I do). Is there really much point changin in like the last 4 weeks? haha I would have to live in the sport uniform :p

Talking to one of the girls at school who is also tranfering but not to that school. She said that you should speak to the school around year 11 information night which I assume would be around subject selection.

The school, was my feed high school before I moved. I have kept in touch with alot of the people there through hockey etc.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
you sound like ud rather go to this new school. do what ud think would make things easiest - u dont need distractions like inexperienced teachers (by that i just mean they arent familiar with the course). if the school has a good academic reputation, its probably telling u that the teachers are pretty good and anyone in senior school will tell u thats the most important thing.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
yeah nick i get what your saying. I guess there is no point sitting in a school for the next 2years if I dont want to be there, haha I already lack motication :p

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
some people go to crap schools and still get high uai and vice versa. It really depends on the student. However, the school does affect your results in a way. Some schools only allow a maximum of 10 units and to some, this is not enough. That can affect your HSC results badly, man..... So, I advise you to try changing schools if you can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SChool Certificate aim: all band 6's (worried if I will get that for English)

HSC subjects (considering): Advanced English, 3 unit Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Business Studies, Ancient History.

uai aim:

if I stay at sefton, then it'll be: 95+
if change to fort street, then it'll be: 98+
if change to sydney girls, then it'll be: 99+

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
If you can do 12 units, you'll be fine. Just come no.1 at school and your internal mark will get scaled to your external mark. You don't even need to change schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)