Does your school give UAI predictions? (1 Viewer)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
lala2 said:
Wow, a range of interesting views here...and maybe I'm glad they didn't give me a UAI prediction, thuogh they keep repeating the only 'statistic' they've 'got' that 50% of PLC's girls get a UAI of 90+, which didn't mean anything to me as I was looking more for a UAI of 95+ (which I got). I agree with physician that if any school wants to give a prediction, they should allow the students the option of having their UAIs estimated or not, so that any dejected parents or students will not blame the school in the end, and yes, a range does sound like a good thing too.
They can't blame the school for estimating their UAIs. The school doesn't force you to study more or less after the estimate is given. It gives you an idea of where you stand, and what courses you could consider, etc. The HSC is worth 50% so you are the one to decide whether your estimate is accurate or not. Slack off or put in extra effort and it won't be accurate. Be consistent with your studying and it will be.

EmMindelan

done, and happy
HSC
seremify007 said:
Some people from my school believe that is what "held us back" and explains why we had such a low level of students progress through to the interview stage of UMAT. Whilst I consider it unfair in the sense that other schools force students to write certain estimates which are a bit low (in order to prevent any liability later on with students claiming false hopes), in the end, the people who overstate their UAI won't make it into med. Although it does sadden me that a few of my peers who were so determined to get into med got kicked back-
Hey, I slightly disagree with you saying that people who overstate their UAI won't make it into med...Out of the 30 or so Abbotsleigh girls who applied for UNSW Med, 6 got first-round interviews. However, only 3 [50%] of those girls actually got 99+ UAIs - the other three all got 98+, however.

For those girls, the school estimating their UAIs high could possibly get them a spot in med - because their UAIs wouldn't have been high enough to get a 2nd round interview but MIGHT in combination with solid UMAT scores and outstanding UAIs get them into the course. I have a friend from another school who was estimated at 95-96 something and missed out on an interview - and you'd better believe she was pretty annoyed to hear that Abbotsleigh had estimated all the girls at 99+....

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Mine didn't, only for those who did the UMAT and needed one. I guess with 200 girls they don't have time. Besides its difficult to predict based on school-based assessment as different schools mark differently. My assessment marks gave me 85-88 and I ended up with 94. My schoool must have marked harder than the state as my english mark was determined by my school assessment whcih was 77 it ended up as an 87.

I don't think they should give predictions imagine the number of people who would complain that the teachers gave them false hope etc, esp when people don't understand any of the HSC and UAC processes

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
ours doesn't either even thou i guess i would like a bit of idea where i am gonna end up
before i was thinkinf of a 75-80 uai, not knowin i can do more
until my teacher nearly knocked me by sayin i can get ova 95.

a bit of encouragement there

Fairytale

HSC
N/A
I went to a catholic school and students at my school are given the option of having their UAIs predicted. Students are given several UAI predictions- the UAI they would get if they bombed out in the HSC exams, the UAI they would get if their performance in the HSC exams was similar to their performance in school assessment and the UAI they would get if they did a bit better in the HSC exams. I got my UAI predicted after the HSC exams (I was too scared to get my UAI predicted earlier in the year. I should've cos that would have made me try harder in the HSC.) and I was sooooooo depressed because I seriously thought I bombed out BIG TIME in the HSC exams. I was told that if I had bombed out in the HSC exams, I would get an UAI of 73. If I had performed equally in my school assessments and my HSC exams, I would achieve an UAI of 84. And if I got a couple more marks I would get an UAI of 89. I ended up with an UAI of 90.85. And it was a huge relief! I so thought I was going to get that 73. Sigh of relief*

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
EmMindelan said:
Hey, I slightly disagree with you saying that people who overstate their UAI won't make it into med...Out of the 30 or so Abbotsleigh girls who applied for UNSW Med, 6 got first-round interviews. However, only 3 [50%] of those girls actually got 99+ UAIs - the other three all got 98+, however.
Sorry for my ambiguity, I wasn't referring to UAI estimates which were reasonably accurate- I was discussing UAI estimates which were unreasonably overestimated (eg. a 92 estimated to be a 99); something which our school (despite being 2nd in the state- or 3rd if you read the Daily Telegraph) cannot compete with by using honest underestimations. Of course one could argue we should just get our school to BS and increase the estimations, but nonetheless, the many kids who had their heart set on med and definitely had the intellectual capacity to do it (or so I believe) will not get to undertake undergraduate studies at their desired universities anytime soon.

For those girls, the school estimating their UAIs high could possibly get them a spot in med - because their UAIs wouldn't have been high enough to get a 2nd round interview but MIGHT in combination with solid UMAT scores and outstanding UAIs get them into the course. I have a friend from another school who was estimated at 95-96 something and missed out on an interview - and you'd better believe she was pretty annoyed to hear that Abbotsleigh had estimated all the girls at 99+....
I agree that to get into med you definitely need a combination of strong UAI, strong UMAT results and strong interview performance; but many people from my school were knocked back after the UMAT test results which I believe is where candidates were required to submit a school estimate of their UAI?

Before I make myself look like a fool, I admit that I know very little about the UMAT and medicine process apart from what others have told me. I have never been interested in medicine to be honest, and the only thing which piques my interest is the complicated method of selecting people to become our nation's future doctors.

As for your friend who was annoyed to hear about the 99+ estimates, well, I can imagine the pain because I've got a lot of friends like that too who felt that way, but there is one thing which helps justify such high estimations- Abbotsleigh is a top10 school (I think?) so there is a good chance many of their students will achieve a UAI sufficient to get a placement in medicine.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mitsui said:
ours doesn't either even thou i guess i would like a bit of idea where i am gonna end up
before i was thinkinf of a 75-80 uai, not knowin i can do more
until my teacher nearly knocked me by sayin i can get ova 95.

a bit of encouragement there
JW- time for you to study now^^ Just remember everything is possible!

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
hahaha thx jace.
(*whisperin* -> how is holiday treatin ya mate?)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
EmMindelan said:

It doesn't make any difference as Gordon Rees was saying there are certain schools that like to inflate their estimations and the UNSW med selection committee are wary of that.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
But how can the med selection committee differentiate between an inflated UAI estimation and an accurate UAI estimation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)