• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does your subject impact on your UAI results? (1 Viewer)

28FEB

HSC
If you had a choice to change your subject saying, from advaned english to standard, should you? If you thought that you would do better at the other

DILEMMA of CHOICE

28FEB

HSC
sigh... lol thought id share my stress with someone else LOL

nah.. im just wondering cos apparently its better to just pass in avd eng than to get 80 in standard, avd does more for your uai or sumfing

Last edited:

smackattack

Banned
HSC
we've been through this so many times... look through threads about standard.

28FEB

HSC
thanks watatank :) its just been on my mind for ages ..ppl keep givn me different info i was getting confused :p lol
HSC is stressing me out

---------------------------

reply to SMACKATTACK: i do apologise for posting it again im not so used to searching... but if u r fustrated with this subject dnt bother replying because your comments don't help ... if you sent me link that would help that would be great

Kujah

HSC
N/A
watatank said:
its not the subjects themselves its how well you go in them.
Quoted for truth.

28FEB

HSC
thanks exphate :) .. that puts my mind into perspective keke

sorry to bother u (i kno thurr r otyher threads on this) but

do u think if i gave u my estimate mark and ranking u cud

tell me wat UAI i would recieve ?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
That's where SAM comes in. It will give you a pretty close estimate of your UAI from your Standard/Advanced marks.

I went through the exact same thing. I say talk to your teacher and see what their opinion is. But I made up my mind and decided to work through advanced. I say stick with it unless you're struggling so bad that you think that you can't handle it.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
28FEB said:
else LOL

nah.. im just wondering cos apparently its better to just pass in avd eng than to get 80 in standard, avd does more for your uai or sumfing
they scale they exact same.
standard is marked much harder, so a 70 on adv is the same as a 70 in std.
but its much easier to obtain an 80 in adv then std.

so my teacher tells me, hes a hsc marker.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:

no.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:

That is so wrong.

http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2007_table_A3.pdf

Look at English Standard and English Advanced. That table states the HSC Mark achieved compared with the Scaled Aggregate (the mark that is used for calculating UAI - nobody gets this).

As can be seen Standard gets scaled a lot worse than advanced. Hence, a 70 in Standard is not the same as a 70 in Advanced irrespective of how hard they mark either one (although in my opinion advanced is marked harder as they expect more - but that's just me!).

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
markzada said:
That is so wrong.

http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2007_table_A3.pdf

Look at English Standard and English Advanced. That table states the HSC Mark achieved compared with the Scaled Aggregate (the mark that is used for calculating UAI - nobody gets this).

As can be seen Standard gets scaled a lot worse than advanced. Hence, a 70 in Standard is not the same as a 70 in Advanced irrespective of how hard they mark either one (although in my opinion advanced is marked harder as they expect more - but that's just me!).
To quote from another UAC source on this subject (the paper can be found at http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/uacnews/news_vol8issue1.pdf)

English was scaled as a single group but Standard and Advanced were separated for purposes of reporting. Neither Advanced nor Standard students were advantaged or disadvantaged as a result of scaling. The apparent anomaly results from the fact that:

the common scale for Standard and Advanced marks determined on the basis of raw marks differed from the common scale determined on the basis of the Board's aligned marks
 the UAI is based on raw HSC marks rather than the Board's HSC marks that are reported to students.

In summary:
1. Raw Standard and Advanced examination marks were placed on a common scale by statistical equating using the common 2 unit paper that all English students completed. School assessments were moderated using these raw examination marks. A raw HSC mark was then calculated as the sum of the examination mark and moderated school assessment.

2. After scaling, a raw HSC mark yielded the same scaled mark, whether from a Standard or Advanced student.

3. The Board used judges to align the Standard and Advanced examination marks against the standards defined by the Performance Band Descriptors in English.

4. The common scale so determined for the Board's HSC marks was slightly different from that established by statistical equating: the same raw HSC mark corresponded to different Board HSC marks for Standard and Advanced students, with Advanced students receiving the higher mark.

5. Consequently, while the same raw HSC mark yielded the same scaled mark, the same was not true for the Board's HSC marks. While Standard and Advanced marks were combined for scaling they were separated for the purposes of reporting. As neither schools nor students have knowledge of the raw marks, scaled marks had to be related to the Board's HSC marks reported to students. This led to the misapprehension that Advanced students were disadvantaged in some way by the scaling process - this was not so. Advanced students received due acknowledgment for their achievement both in relation to the UAI and the reported HSC mark.
In short, Advanced and Standard English are scaled the same (as in the same raw exam mark will give the same scaled aggregate mark), the apparent anomaly comes from the fact that different raw exam marks will produce the same HSC exam mark presented to the student in either course, i.e. a higher raw exam mark is needed to give the same HSC exam mark in Standard than Advanced.

jackattack

HSC
N/A
It's so funny when fucktards get up in yo grill regarding Advanced and Standard's scaling when they're always wrong hahahahahahahaha

They scale the same, douchedicks.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Your still wrong.

Raw marks are used in the scaling process.

A raw mark of 60 in standard is scaled the same as 60 in advanced. But a 60 in standard may be only equivalent to a 58 HSC Mark whereas a 60 in Advanced may be equivalent to a 70 HSC Mark.

The fact that raw marks are used in the scaling process doesn't make you right?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
markzada said:
Your still wrong.

Raw marks are used in the scaling process.

A raw mark of 60 in standard is scaled the same as 60 in advanced. But a 60 in standard may be only equivalent to a 58 HSC Mark whereas a 60 in Advanced may be equivalent to a 70 HSC Mark.

The fact that raw marks are used in the scaling process doesn't make you right?
read soulsearchers post buddy.
they are right, your mis interpreting the scaling system.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
markzada said:
Read part 5 of SoulSearcher's response (quoted from UAC).

You're wrong.
its saying theres a minor technacality.

ccc123

HSC
I think in a sense, Risole91 is right: my teacher said the same thing. It will always be more difficult to get a good scaled mark in standard eng than Advanced, because the standard of the cohort is generally much lower. Your internal assessment marks, as I'm sure most of you know, are modified according to how well your school does in the exam. Now, since the average of the group in Standard English will invariably be consierably lower than teh average of an advanced english group, the marks of the standard english students will inevitably be more harshly affected by the modification process. This is the case also with other subjects where the qulaity of teh cohort is typically not that great, e.g General maths, Community and Family Studies...

Nevetheless, Exphate's point remains that if you do well, in any subject, you will not be affected by teh scaling process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)