• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does your subject impact on your UAI results? (3 Viewers)

jaaaaay

HSC
haha im sure. but i guess you'll just have to ask gab.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
He accelerated 2U the year before.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I think he got around 95+ish for his 2U mark, but it was disregarded in the counting of the UAI.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
OK. Fair enough. He's still good anyway. There is a rumour about the legendary advantage of taking 4u owing to its extreme scaling-up: even if you get like 60% in the test, you'll still end up 80/100 or even higher??? Not true, isn't it. If you get like under 70/100, you end up with a scaling-down, right?

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Scaling or moderation?

I'm fairly sure any raw marks greater than 50% are moderated upwards to 70s-80s final HSC Marks. Anything around 70-80s raw is moderated to 90s+ (i think .. dont quote me on that). From past experiences, my mate only attempted 50-60% of the test. He was fairly confident with it and ended up with 80something.

In terms of scaling (this involves UAC changing HSC marks into scaled marks that you don't get), ext2 scales well. Here's a table that shows what HSC marks were scaled to in calculating the aggregate out of 500 that goes towards ur UAI.

http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2007_table_A3.pdf

Note: scroll down to maths ext 2. Marks are on a unit basis - that is out of 50 (not 100).

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Nah, it's 100 for me 'cuz I have 4u and 3u test takes 100 and 4u test takes 100. That's why you see people doing 4u writing 99/100 in their signatures.

I think I wasn't clear. I should have asked about aligned marks actually, not the aggregate for UAI. It's, in some ways, unfair for those who achieve nearly full marks as then their aligned marks are still 100 or 99 while others having much lower marks get a much higher aligned marks. Um, did I forget to include the different range of students' abilities? If so, then it's still a bit unfair for students doing other subjects. (exc. so-called easy subjects)

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Undermyskin said:
Nah, it's 100 for me 'cuz I have 4u and 3u test takes 100 and 4u test takes 100. That's why you see people doing 4u writing 99/100 in their signatures.

I think I wasn't clear. I should have asked about aligned marks actually, not the aggregate for UAI. It's, in some ways, unfair for those who achieve nearly full marks as then their aligned marks are still 100 or 99 while others having much lower marks get a much higher aligned marks. Um, did I forget to include the different range of students' abilities? If so, then it's still a bit unfair for students doing other subjects. (exc. so-called easy subjects)
Yea sorry champ bout the 50 thing. I was just highlighting that so u dont think 50/100 (i.e. they're only showing the marks per unit for all subjects).

I don't think its unfair at all since most of the 4unit cohort are extremely smart (except the ones right at the bottom obviously). If you threw most 4u students in any other subjects they would out perform most people therefore warranting the scaling they get. That's what UAC aims to do - they picture everybody sitting every single exam and that's why 4 unit scales so well.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
However there is one obvious thing: motivation and natural ability. What you say is that if a 4u student is good at maths then he is also good at English or social subjects but that's not true. There's also one question about 'nature or nurture' but it shouldn't be discussed here.

I think what you say is right for anyone who do both E x and M x.

Um, why don't the BOS, let's say, issue a harder program for those 'easy subjects'. I mean, like in my ESL, it's quite unfair if people who get band 6 or 5 still get scaled down. The more ideal scenario is a certain level of difficulty which can confirm a student who can achieve that band 6 will still be able to keep THAT band 6 as an evidence for his/her ability rather than be scaled down to a band 5 with an innocent explanation: it's an easy subject. It can be similar for Business studies (my Chem teacher recently claimed it a *bla bla bla* one). If it's regarded as unchallenging, then gain the difficulties so we students won't have nightmares about getting crap UAI. This is an biased idea but it's not totally incorrect, isn't it?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
jaaaaay said:
haha im sure. but i guess you'll just have to ask gab.
Accelerated 2 unit maths in year 10 (2005) and extension 1 maths in year 11 (2006), hence how I managed to do both the 2 unit and extension 2 HSC papers :) And if you did extension 2 maths and got a HSC result in it, they don't take it into account at all for UAI calculation.

Undermyskin said:
That really doesn't matter, because raw exam marks are used in the calculation of the UAI, aligned HSC marks are not taken into account at all, hence there is no real 'unfairness' about the levels of alignment.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
OMG. When you guyz received your HSC, did you get the raw marks or the aligned marks then? 'cuz if you had got the quite high aligned marks, some of you must have been disappointed to look at your UAI??

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Undermyskin said:
When you guyz received your HSC, did you get the raw marks or the aligned marks then?
Raw marks are never handed out.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
SAM doesn't seem to play an ultimate role in predicting this year UAI. Unless it gets updated, it will become post-modern tool soon.

When calculating UAI, UAC looks at your HSC compared to other students, right? Do they include those illegible to receive UAI in that certain year like accelerated yr 11 or re-taking ones?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Undermyskin said:
SAM doesn't seem to play an ultimate role in predicting this year UAI. Unless it gets updated, it will become post-modern tool soon.

When calculating UAI, UAC looks at your HSC compared to other students, right? Do they include those illegible to receive UAI in that certain year like accelerated yr 11 or re-taking ones?
lol. You have so many questions. Why don't you just contact the UAC?

SAM predicted my uai to be 0.60 less than what I had actually recieved. So, it's not that bad.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Undermyskin said:
OMG. When you guyz received your HSC, did you get the raw marks or the aligned marks then? 'cuz if you had got the quite high aligned marks, some of you must have been disappointed to look at your UAI??
Aligned.
Undermyskin said:
The cohort that they rank you against is the School Certificate cohort of the year when you were in Year 10, so for example the class of 2007 would have been ranked and placed into their positions using the students who did the School Certificate in 2005, assuming that all the students who sat the SC continued on to do the HSC.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
It was 0.2 off mine - Standard Sam that is. So it's pretty good - just look at the UAI pages, Sam get's pretty close.

My premo expired too soon :(

jaaaaay

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Accelerated 2 unit maths in year 10 (2005) and extension 1 maths in year 11 (2006), hence how I managed to do both the 2 unit and extension 2 HSC papers :) And if you did extension 2 maths and got a HSC result in it, they don't take it into account at all for UAI calculation.
ohh i see. bet it helped u get ur 99+
:shy:

GilaZ

HSC
risole91 said:
they scale they exact same.
standard is marked much harder, so a 70 on adv is the same as a 70 in std.
but its much easier to obtain an 80 in adv then std.

so my teacher tells me, hes a hsc marker.
im sure risole91 had the best of intentions when writing this but it is completely incorrect. the level of studying in advanced is higher than standard in the same way that chemistry is harder than hospitality. Therefore just as chemistry is scaled up and hospo is scaled down, so too (relatively) with advanced and standard.

a friend of mine recieved an 89 for standard english but will be brought down to about low 80s when considered for the uai whereas someone who recieved a 75 for advanced will be bumped up for the uai. That is how its been explained to me countless times.

my suggestion is to take ur average marks for adv eng and compare that to the marks ud be getting in standard ONCE THOSE WERE SCALED. if standard is still higher after that then do standard.

ur self esteem is another factor to take in. if ur feeling bad about urself in adv it might affect ur overall result simply because ull be less motivated.

speak with ur teacher though,
best of luck.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Aligned.
The cohort that they rank you against is the School Certificate cohort of the year when you were in Year 10, so for example the class of 2007 would have been ranked and placed into their positions using the students who did the School Certificate in 2005, assuming that all the students who sat the SC continued on to do the HSC.
Oh shit (sorry) I wasn't here in year 10 plus I started year 11 nearly 1 week later than everyone. lolz. My marks will be against...who then? Hope the UAC won't impulsively put a random aggregate point. hiz

To tanjin: Making friends with them might help increase my UAI? Otherwise....nah. :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)