• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does your subject impact on your UAI results? (3 Viewers)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Oh shit (sorry) I wasn't here in year 10 plus I started year 11 nearly 1 week later than everyone. lolz. My marks will be against...who then? Hope the UAC won't impulsively put a random aggregate point. hiz

To tanjin: Making friends with them might help increase my UAI? Otherwise....nah. :rofl:
Your UAI would be ranked against those who did the SC in 2006, I would think.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Um...ok. Do you know how they'll calculate my aggregate? As you know, they hardly have any of my study achievements, except for the yr 12 assessment marks submitted by my school and the HSC that I'll do. To remind, I've got no SC!

HSC
Excuse me if im wrong, because it's a bit late and i might not have read something right.
Isn't your UAI calulated based on your ranking against the cohort you complete your HSC with? Because i did 2exams last year with 4 to come (pathways) and that was my understanding...
Also, excuse ignorance if i'm wrong, raw marks are used to calulate your UAI. If this is so then is the variation between the aligned results you receive (based on "how hard" the course is perceived to be) and the raw marks UAC use substantial how much would it affect your UAI?
This year:
Construction-86
Chemistry-77 :(
To come:
Adv Eng, 2U Maths, Bio, Phy.
Cheers, Night! :)

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Um...ok. Do you know how they'll calculate my aggregate? As you know, they hardly have any of my study achievements, except for the yr 12 assessment marks submitted by my school and the HSC that I'll do. To remind, I've got no SC!
Your scaled aggregate mark is calculated using the raw exam marks you achieve in the HSC exams and the moderated HSC assessment marks. The fact that you did not do the SC has no bearing on this. The assumption I'm making (which can be wrong) is that they will rank you relative to the year 10 cohort of 2006 in the calculation of your UAI.
WantToDoBetter said:
Isn't your UAI calulated based on your ranking against the cohort you complete your HSC with? Because i did 2exams last year with 4 to come (pathways) and that was my understanding...
Well, this is what UAC says about the UAI and the cohort it uses when calculating your UAI:
Specifically, a UAI indicates the position of a student relative to their Year 10 cohort. That is, a UAI of 80.00 indicates that students with that UAI have performed well enough in the HSC to place them 20% from the top of their Year 10 cohort, had all the Year 10 students completed Year 12 and been eligible for a UAI.
Make of that what you will. (Source: http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.html)
WantToDoBetter said:
Also, excuse ignorance if i'm wrong, raw marks are used to calulate your UAI. If this is so then is the variation between the aligned results you receive (based on "how hard" the course is perceived to be) and the raw marks UAC use substantial how much would it affect your UAI?
The variation between the aligned HSC results you recieve and the raw marks UAC uses pretty much means nothing when it comes to UAI calculation. The raw exam marks that you achieve in the HSC exam are the ones that are used by UAC to calculate your scaled aggregate mark and your UAI; these raw exam marks are also aligned to give you an aligned HSC exam mark that is presented to you, but the aligned marks do not play a part at all in the calculation of the UAI. Hence any variation between the raw exam marks and the aligned HSC marks will not affect that UAI you receive.

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
The variation between the aligned HSC results you recieve and the raw marks UAC uses pretty much means nothing when it comes to UAI calculation. The raw exam marks that you achieve in the HSC exam are the ones that are used by UAC to calculate your scaled aggregate mark and your UAI; these raw exam marks are also aligned to give you an aligned HSC exam mark that is presented to you, but the aligned marks do not play a part at all in the calculation of the UAI. Hence any variation between the raw exam marks and the aligned HSC marks will not affect that UAI you receive.
Thanks for clarifying. Just shows that some people might get their hopes up for a good UAI when they receive their results, my cousin is an example. He recieved his HSC this year (subjects Agriculture, Standard English, D&T, Biology and PDHPE) all were ranging from 70-78. He recieved a UAI of 56. Luckly he got a prelim offer to the course he wanted. Ill just cross my fingers lol. Back to the bio assignment...
Cheers.

SoulSearcher

HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
Thanks for clarifying. Just shows that some people might get their hopes up for a good UAI when they receive their results, my cousin is an example. He recieved his HSC this year (subjects Agriculture, Standard English, D&T, Biology and PDHPE) all were ranging from 70-78. He recieved a UAI of 56. Luckly he got a prelim offer to the course he wanted. Ill just cross my fingers lol. Back to the bio assignment...
Cheers.
Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)