Doing MED overseas as an Australian? (1 Viewer)

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys,

Unfortunately i wasn't competitive enough to earn a place for med here in Aus, with my HSC results etc. So I applied for med overseas and got accepted. The University for which i applied is on the IMED (International Medical Education Directory), meaning that graduates are allowed to take the AMC examinations upon graduation, then allowed to practice in Australia.

A 5 year degree, then the AMC examinations, then internships etc etc (sorry i dunno the rest).

Basically, what i'm trying to ask is that should i take this oppurtunity? Is it worth it?

If i don't take this pathway, then it looks like i'll be staying in Aus going into the finance/accounting field etc, (not going to undertake med sci >umat>gamsat etc)

Cheers

yjhere

HSC
Ever heard of the intern tsunami? And how being an overseas graduate (low on the priority list) would make it pretty much impossible for you to get an internship i.e. become a doc?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
no dont do it. going to be impossible to get a job here.
and if youve said you arent up for post grad med id question your desire to do med (even if you describe it wrong)
go for the finance option and make the most out of it

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I find it odd you have the motivation to travel to another country to med but lack the determination or drive to do it post-grad here or transfer

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
I find it odd you have the motivation to travel to another country to med but lack the determination or drive to do it post-grad here or transfer
Reason being i find the pathway of transfer and graduate way too risky. Where as with this case, i've already secured a place in med and don't want to lose it. Plus completing MED after 7 years (Med sci (or whatever) + MED) and having to face the intern tsunami issue, or completing MED in 5 years and still facing the intern tsunami issue (also AMC exams), seems to be no huge difference.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Reason being i find the pathway of transfer and graduate way too risky. Where as with this case, i've already secured a place in med and don't want to lose it. Plus completing MED after 7 years (Med sci (or whatever) + MED) and having to face the intern tsunami issue, or completing MED in 5 years and still facing the intern tsunami issue (also AMC exams), seems to be no huge difference.
But i'm pretty sure those who complete a degree here are given priority for internships over those who have completed a degree overseas so it actually does make a difference

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Most proper developed countries only have post grad med xD it's all the non-qualified countries like poland and shit that have undergrad med. It's also about if the degree is even recognized for you to practice medicine in Australia. indakia doesnt have the heart and commitment for medicine, you should do something else.

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
Most proper developed countries only have post grad med xD it's all the non-qualified countries like poland and shit that have undergrad med. It's also about if the degree is even recognized for you to practice medicine in Australia. indakia doesnt have the heart and commitment for medicine, you should do something else.
My uncle is a full practising doctor who attended the same uni where i got my offer from. He did his AMC back in 2000. The uni is accredited by WHO and IMED. So in terms of accreditation, that's no worry.

My main concern, as people have outlined in this thread, is finishing the degree and coming here. It seems like there may be many problems settling here with an overseas MBBS.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
My uncle is a full practising doctor who attended the same uni where i got my offer from. He did his AMC back in 2000. The uni is accredited by WHO and IMED. So in terms of accreditation, that's no worry.

My main concern, as people have outlined in this thread, is finishing the degree and coming here. It seems like there may be many problems settling here with an overseas MBBS.
same thing im talking about. even if you got an accredited uni overseas you STILL need to go through loops and hoops just to become a practicing MD.

specifically which university is it?

jack2230

HSC
I would like to know which country your thinking of doing it in as well. It's possible but like others have said it would be hard to practice medicine once you finish your degree. You could always practice in the UK though (especially if your doing an MD in Europe somewhere due to all the EU treaties etc.) and doctors in the UK arguably make the same if not better money than those practicing in Australia.

bangladesh

HSC
You won't be able to get internship in australia with sucha degree. There are barely enough spots for aussie graduates so i wouldnt do it if it were you.

bangladesh

HSC
I would like to know which country your thinking of doing it in as well. It's possible but like others have said it would be hard to practice medicine once you finish your degree. You could always practice in the UK though (especially if your doing an MD in Europe somewhere due to all the EU treaties etc.) and doctors in the UK arguably make the same if not better money than those practicing in Australia.
no. He won't be able to get internship in australia to begin with.

holy shit this thread is full of people who have no idea about anything yet talk like they know everything

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

holy shit this thread is full of people who have no idea about anything yet talk like they know everything
you do realise what you just said has pretty much been said by everyone in this thread?

or do you even read before you act like you know everything and everyone else knows nothing?

jack2230

HSC

Never said he is guaranteed an internship in Australia but you can't rule it out since there are plenty of overseas trained doctors in Australia. My neighbor and grandfather are two examples - both trained in the UK.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Never said he is guaranteed an internship in Australia but you can't rule it out since there are plenty of overseas trained doctors in Australia. My neighbor and grandfather are two examples - both trained in the UK.
Yes because they all came in under skilled migration and I'm pretty sure they have YEARS of previous work experience before being able to work in Australia. There's such a HUGE influx of new doctors people are finding it hard to meet their residency requirements that they have to go into regional australia or overseas.

bangladesh

HSC
you do realise what you just said has pretty much been said by everyone in this thread?

or do you even read before you act like you know everything and everyone else knows nothing?
I didn't read all the posts, only read a couple of them and they were encouraging him to take on this opportunity. Apologies for not reading other posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)