Doing your own work. (1 Viewer)

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by allyteaded
Justice will be served! *narrows eyes*
Uh huh. And we all live in a perfect world, grasshopper. What are you? Jimeny Cricket on speed? No way justice is served, any hell, any time.

((That wasn't meant to be offensive in any way.))

In defence of getting a bit of help...

I (stupidly) didn't do art in years 9 and 10. When I got to year 11 art I spent my days being completely lost and confused. I didn't even know what they wanted from me, let alone how to do it well!

I started grasping the idea of a BOW and what they want for HSC art about february this year. If I had had to go it alone it would have been too late...

So I got an art tutor. The two things which she did were a) taught me 'proper' techniqes (i.e. the way the BOS likes it), tried to teach me to paint, taught me about composition etc. I think of it as a sort of technical artists crash course. She pointed out and taught me all the exact pieces of information I needed to know about mediums, concepts, and such, without wasting time on teaching me stuff that's not immediately useful. (She never once touched my actual artworks, only taught me using examples which I had no intention of submitting and did not)

The second thing she helped me with was to act as a bouncing board for my conceptual ideas. At first my concept was transparent and simple, in a 'low-marks/boring-concept' sort of way. After telling me about countless other students she has taught who have done very well in art, and their artworks, I started to gain an idea of what was required... A more multi-layered, deeper, more ambiguous concept.

The work, physically was 100% my own.
The work, conceptually was 98% my own (she did throw in an idea here or there, and I discarded most but incorporated a bit)

I know the sort of cheating you are talking about is more serious than mine, but I'm just posting in case any of you believed that getting any outside help was entirely wrong :)

To add to the cheating topic, one girl in my class made probably 20% of her artwork, and got one of the highest (internal) marks. Bleh. No fair!

Last edited:

allyteaded

Daemontreu Shh!! That was meant to scare some people!! *Chirps like a grasshopper*

Anyway, I know people will get away with it. The only thing the "honestly hardworking and original" <- (yes, yes, we live in a post-modern world of borrowed images but Shh!) can hold against the people who had way more outside help than they should have - is that they can put their artworks in their portfolios and claim its their work without any worries - if they do decide to do art in Uni or as a career. I mean, yeah, the odd cheater could get away with it but the chances start to grow thinner. Again, the artwork will be viewed by a different experienced person. Sooner or later, someone's got to spot the artwork which is not as original as it's claimed to be. I mean, I remember last year, some chick in my school hired a professional artist to do her artwork. A month before it was due, my art teacher found out from one of the criticts or some other art teacher she knew. This friend saw an exhibition of the artist's work that the student hired. So she was forced to do her own BOW within the last month. I'd say she was lucky they spotted it a month before not a month after. So you see, the world may not be perfect, but there are some people with damn good photographic memories out there.

If worse comes to worse, Daemontreu, I might even consider a career in hunting for stolen art. :p

But just out of curiousity... does anyone know how many people were marked down for copying an idea from somewhere?

I went to a HSC lecture for Vis Arts at Syd Uni - they were saying how someone made this gorgeous quilt and it was a good idea - fooled the art teacher - but then someone in the art marking center remembered the design was from one of the magazines - which provided a step by step on how to make the quilt exactly.

FunkmistrssDina - nah mate, that ain't cheating. I know it's hard starting from Year 11. I did too. :D I was dumb not to take art in Year 9 and 10... just because I hated the teacher in Year 8... she ended up retiring half way in 2000 anyway. She's back but only as a subsitute...

Anyway - basically, right throughout year 11 - I read so many books just to catch up with my art class. I also did Photography which helped so much with composition. But honestly, catching up with my class was a breeze! I didn't feel challenged one bit - I got top marks right away - I came first since the beginning of Year 11 ... and I got 100% for my trials. I just think my class isn't all that dedicated - I mean, practically all of us started in the last two months!

Anyway - a bit of help in concept is what everyone should be getting anyway - I mean, you need to know whether what your doing makes sense to others or has some sort of significance in others. At least you had a tutor... I shoulda got one ... but I didn't really know where to get one! Too late now... I just learned everything on my own. My teacher helped with the theory. And going to art museums/galleries - I think I was the only one who bothered going to them.

Anyway - I really should get going...

Last edited:

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Ha! Doing work to catch up and better yourself is in no way cheating. Sounds like you just got yourself motivated, interested, and one up on your classmates to me. :)

... and now I feel dodgy for doing a two-line post.

I have no idea how many people are marked down for copying an idea from somewhere. It could be quite a lot, could be barely any. My guesses are that minor infringements are pretty high, but that total all-out copies are pretty low. And that those minor infringements are called... as you pointed out... "appropriations" in the folio.

Don't think anyone in my class really grasped the BOW idea either really... We all did art since Year 7, so we were all already thinking along the ideas of one MW, a la all the years before us.

Radical re-thinking is not fun. ;)

Last edited:

*tasha*

Hate to say it, as much as a topic of plagiarising or 'appropriating' pisses me off, but I think now is the time when you should only be concentrating on your own work.

Forget the others, they're there for their own reasons, and in the long run, they know they've done the wrong thing. If they get those marks their left to think about the consequences that some of those marks actually belong to the people that helped them.

tegs

what pisses me off is hearing about all these people who put like $1000 into their works.

How are normal people meant to compare with this?

allyteaded

Really?

Well, the $1500 I spent was all on buying the materials. I had to import from the US cuz they weren't available in Australia. And from Melbourne because they weren't available in Sydney at that time... Shipping fees were a bit more than $100. The two batches from California cost around $300AU The one from melbourne $300 too.

And then printing - what a bych... wasted $40 printing in friggin Kwik copy - whose blacks were practically grey... So I ended up going to Kinkos. A bit more expensive but at least they were good quality. All in all, Printing cost me $100.

Then presentation - I had to buy folders that were really good and presentable. I bought two - $75 all together.

Then framing for five works... cost $130.

Then... not to mention buying photoshop, graphics tablet, scanner, drawing table... miscellaneous art supplies (paints, pastels, brushes... for experimental work.)

Believe me my family's not rich - I just have a very expensive hobby.

Why did I choose to go through such an expensive path? I wanted to do a manga (Japanese comic) using screen tone and ink - the usual mediums used by manga artists. This is the form of art I knew I could do very well in; that I've been doing for the past four years; that got me into visual arts in the first place. I'm sure everyone would have chosen their medium for similar reasons.

I know a lot of people who like drawing in this style as a hobby. I sympathise. The problem is these mediums are no where to be found in Australia at the moment.

My choise of medium then became meaningful. If ever my artwork got a bit of recognition, maybe it would spark curiosity about what mediums I used. Maybe one day they would be finally available in Australia. Maybe because of my artwork, my hobby wouldn't be so expensive for others who share the same interest. Ok, the mediums would still be expensive - but they wouldn't have to be burdened by shipping fees.

To extend this purpose, I even held a workshop at school. Using what I had left over, I had younger students experiment with these mediums... I know I wasted a lot of my supplies during the process of making my BOW because I had to experiment and learn how to use them properly. Believe me, it's very difficult at first.

I hope I saved them a bit of money - gave them a chance to be familiar with the medium - to know what they'd be in for when it's their turn to do a Body of Work. And to help them make the right choise when they're doing their body of work.

Because at the beginning of the year, I wanted to do animation. I had no idea what I was in for. In the end I gave it up even though I wanted to do it so much. I had no idea how to go about it. I didn't know what I needed for it. I lapsed into a period of artists block... and when I finally gained the inspiration to do an artwork, it was very late. Like two months before it was due late. I practically had to pull so many all-nighters - cramming frantically - it was emotionally and physically distressing. I didn't want the same thing to happen to anyone else - if I could prevent it.

Maybe people had other reasons for spending as much as I did. I know for a fact that Framing or mounting can punch holes in your pockets... Unbelievably expensive to frame/mount - particularly with digital arts. You can't blame them. They are not the ones who set these prices. Visual arts is one of the most expensive fields to persue. (It could probably be the most expensive subject in the HSC.)

Anyway, I might have overdone defending my case. But I did not spend a lot of money for the sake of getting marks or getting into Art Express.

I think... I'd rather have someone spend $1000 on buying the mediums and making their own artwork than have someone else spending $1000 to commission someone else to do their Body of Work.

Last edited:

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
My poor mother spent around $800 on my artwork... :eek:

Oh, just out of curiousity ally, how much was that graphics tablet? I've been looking around for one, but they tend to be:

a) Expensive
b) Low quality if they aren't expensive.
c) Not pressure sensitive.

Or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places... :confused:

MrMiK

what price range would u call expensive :S ??

i was lookn at getn a cheaper but allright one .. i might get 1 wen i start workn cuz i find i do alot of stuff on the comp..

look at theAipTek 6x4.5 for $109.00
or the
AipTek 8x6 for $207

they come with a cordless mouse i think.. and its got a real good resolution.. and allright pressure levels..
this is what i was going to get because its a cheaper one.

Some say u should always go Wakeon
theres the cheaper Graphire 2 for $117.27..

i find alot of people get the cheap AceCat ones.. they're the ones with a lil cat on the box.. personally i avoid trends :p

hope this is help

tro

for Design and Technology in alot of cases having someone else put together the work for you is not part of your major work DESIGN. That is assemblage aqnd may not be what you were focusing on in your work. I did design and tech and created and designed a 3D character and the thing that would piss me off so much is ppl saying "well wheres the movie?" because that isn't the frigging design is it? the design is the character and the process i went through to do it.

I think its different for art. However you can someone to do all your prints or something apparently?

allyteaded

My mom says it's about $200+ It's a Wacom tablet... 6x4.5

ofcourse.. we bought this over a year and a half ago on my B-day ^_^

makes graphics so much easier... I hate mice... gives me RSI...

allyteaded

Oh by the way.. you know that little game we used to play as kids... Rock Scissors paper?

Apparantly it's good excercise for the hand/wrist.. particularly when you're using the mouse for long periods of time. Because you're excersising different muscles for different actions.

So next time you feel your wrist killing - relax it a bit by playing a small game of rock scissors paper by yourself! LoL....

yvet_00

HSC
Dt

You are allow to have some help with dt from other people but you have to document them all and explain why, and how much it costed and who did it etc etc. But you cant make someone eles do your entire project.
There was one girl in my class who was making a product which needed a lot of metal soldering, but she didnt have the skills to do that or the equipment, so she went to a factory and was helped by the management, but she documented it all by taking heaps of photos of the guy doing it and explained why.
Of course it would be wrong if she pretended she made the product all by her self.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)