Don't work ahead? (1 Viewer)

swagmeister

HSC
So I saw an article on LifeHack suggesting that student's shouldn't work ahead but should instead focus on testing and recalling the information that they have already learnt and that that is a more effective way to spend time. You can access it here.

Below is an extract from this article, I would love to hear some opinions on this :)

Here’s something we’ve all heard teachers say at the end of class: “Read chapter 12 on the Law of Cosines before class tomorrow so that we can jump right in.”

And you probably wanted to say, “Wait a sec… isn’t that your job?”

Anyway, no one does it (except maybe that guy who always sits in the front row). Even if we tell ourselves we’re gonna “get organized” and prepare before lecture, no one ever does the reading. And if you do, it’s usually a lackluster skim effort.

But would it actually help if we did? Should we actually care about “getting organized” and doing the reading before class?

Research suggests that this is a waste. An initial review period is necessary to learn something new, but further review becomes less and less effective.

So why would you review something twice? Well, because repetition improves your ability to recall something later. Practice makes perfect.

Not so fast. While it is useful to get a quick “lay of the land” on a new concept before going into lecture completely cold, beyond an initial introductory period to a new concept, your ability to remember, recall, and use that information does not improve with review.

What you need instead is testing and use. So that valuable time before lecture is much better spent quizzing yourself on the information from the previous lecture. Stuff that you’ll eventually see on the midterm or final, rather than some arcane explanation from a textbook.

Use the lecture the way it was intended: to introduce you to new material.

-Lifehack

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
This very largely depends on the course that you are doing. I found that in courses such as Business Studies being at least one lesson ahead was extremely beneficial, as i'd do the hard yards at home and class time was just really effective content revision where i could ask questions regarding anything i was even slightly confused about when going over it myself

Anthel

HSC
N/A
The article does have a good point but then whats the point of holiday homework? It's meant to give us a head start on the module and also a reminder that we should study ahead but not too far - enough so that once you get into class you have some background.

Immortality

Rekt by Adv. English
HSC
You shouldn't work ahead when approaching an exam.

If you never work ahead, how are you ever going to have sufficient time to prepare for exams in the first place? You often finish the content a few days before the exam anyways, giving no time for past papers and practice etc.

logic/10

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you it definitely helps to work a head, otherwise you'll run out of time with assessments weeks etc...

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I completed entire business studies course during the christmas holidays. While the rest of my class had only done one topic.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
The only subject I really learnt ahead for was maths and I found that extremely helpful because I was never behind in class and knowing all the content beforehand made homework a lot easier. However, it's quite difficult to be continually learning ahead of your class because you want to use lessons to absorb the content and really understand it before learning new things.

I suggest using the holidays to learn ahead or read ahead for content-heavy subjects and at least read your English texts before your class does. Also make sure your revision notes for completed topics are done as well so when trials and the actual HSC arrives, you're going to be set and not madly writing notes a day or two before.

aanthnnyyy

HSC
So I saw an article on LifeHack suggesting that student's shouldn't work ahead but should instead focus on testing and recalling the information that they have already learnt and that that is a more effective way to spend time. You can access it here.

Below is an extract from this article, I would love to hear some opinions on this :)
I generally do both... Read a smh article on hsc the other day and apparently SEA students are expected to be 1.5years ahead :laugh:

grind 31

integral95

HSC
The benefits of learning ahead is being able to master them without getting behind with the topics coming up, so I was able to attain higher marks in exams without putting in extra work a few days before.

HSC
Don't you have to consolidate the current topic before you move on? I like to finish and end the topic before moving on to a completely different one

Last edited:
HSC
I haven't read the opinions on this thread but I'm always by the saying that there's no harm in going ahead. What's the worst that can happen, you magically burn out just because you'll find yourself going over the same information a few weeks later?

There are people out there, who you are inevitably competing against, already ahead. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)