double angle integration (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi can somebody please explain how you get from finding the integral (S) of:

S (cos6x.cos2x) dx >> to 1/2 S (cos8x + cos4x) dx

not sure how to expand the double angle results that leave me with that as an answer??
thanks

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
cos 8x + cos 4x
= cos (6x + 2x) + cos (6x - 2x)
= 2cos 6x cos 2x
=> cos 6x cos 2x = (cos 8x + cos 4x) / 2

nat_doc

HSC
would people recommed learning the results by heart?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Just using that double angle theorum is rather fast and simply done on the side of the page as working... there would be no need to memorise it. That said, the double angle theorum isn't the first thing that comes to mind - but it's a very basic process.

random-1006

Banned
HSC
its fairly basic.

for example, i would think it would be fairly reasonable to ask something like integrate sin(2x)cos(2x) dx in a 3 unit paper ( without the previous question like show 2sin(2x)cos(2x)= sin(4x) )

nat_doc

HSC
Well if you have SKB then yes you should :p But generally in the HSC they ask you to prove it in a previous part if you need to use the result.
what is SKB? and i bet a rep point that this year in the HSC, there will not be a "hint" question beforehand.... they will just give u the integral

who wants to bet?

random-1006

Banned
HSC
Just using that double angle theorum is rather fast and simply done on the side of the page as working... there would be no need to memorise it. That said, the double angle theorum isn't the first thing that comes to mind - but it's a very basic process.

what is the first thing then?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
what is SKB? and i bet a rep point that this year in the HSC, there will not be a "hint" question beforehand.... they will just give u the integral

who wants to bet?
SKB = teacher of scardizzle. I used to have him for the majority of Year 11/12. I'd say that he is one of the best teachers in the state.

BTW, this question could be done using integration by parts. You would get the original integral by 2 applications of IPB and then you could work out what the integral is that way. But this of course is a much longer method.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I never memorise them. They're easy to derive on the spot when required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)