Double degree - worth it? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi all,
Im a y12 student in Sydney currently eyeing a Intl relation/law degree. This would mean I would have to move to Canberra, however, I am also a musician and would like to continue my instrumental studies with my Sydney teacher. Is intl rel./law demanding? Would it be impossible for me to nick down to sydney every fortnight? Furthermore, i intend to join many of the clubs that anu has to offer.

Please advise me. Unfortunately I am unable to attend the open day.
Thank you!

EDIT: Ok, since no one seems to know intl relation/law so here is my refined question: Is any double with law demanding?

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think so. I might be incorrect in saying that International Relations falls under an Arts degree - i.e. Arts/LLB

planino

HSC
maybe you could ask again in the 'general university discussion' forum thingo

HSC
There is indeed a legit course, which is not a double arts degree. Anyway thanks for that :)

viva_la_albert

HSC
Any course is demanding. It's subjective, it depends on the individual. But generally, Law is pretty demanding. Theres alot of reading involved. Why do you have to go to Canberra to do IR/Law? You can do Arts/Law in Sydney. B.IR at ANU is pretty much a glorified Arts degree, it's just an Arts degree with a Major in IR.

HSC
o lol? I really really want to go to Canberra because I know its the best for politics. I know it sounds so crazy but I love politics alot, and I genuinely want to be a politician, and I can't settle for anything other than the best. and the atar for usyd is frikkin inflated. I mean, seriously, 99 ATAR, hahaha. I can't gaurantee it, but im pretty sure I can manage a 97, 96+
Come on - Canberra - the heart of federal politics....Sydney's alright in the sense that it has the NSW parliament....but ultimately I NEED to be in Canberra....I've seen and researched lots of courses in law and politics, and the subjects at ANU that are offered within this degree is what I want, I know. Ppl say its boring and its a hole wateva but for me Canberra offers far more than in Syd. And the law degree is essential to supplement the politics stuff, in my view, so yeah. :)

viva_la_albert

HSC
o lol? I really really want to go to Canberra because I know its the best for politics. I know it sounds so crazy but I love politics alot, and I genuinely want to be a politician, and I can't settle for anything other than the best. and the atar for usyd is frikkin inflated. I mean, seriously, 99 ATAR, hahaha. I can't gaurantee it, but im pretty sure I can manage a 97, 96+
Come on - Canberra - the heart of federal politics....Sydney's alright in the sense that it has the NSW parliament....but ultimately I NEED to be in Canberra....I've seen and researched lots of courses in law and politics, and the subjects at ANU that are offered within this degree is what I want, I know. Ppl say its boring and its a hole wateva but for me Canberra offers far more than in Syd. And the law degree is essential to supplement the politics stuff, in my view, so yeah. :)
I'm not sure how many politicians have Arts degrees or even IR degrees. If you want to be a politician, do Law/Comm or Law/Econ. Joining youth political clubs, as well as Youth UN would be great to give you a taste of what you're going to be into. ANU is pretty good for what you're looking to do. Do you have any other interests? You could be a politician with any sort of degree, just be good at networking, talking to people and being likeable. A law degree is obviously the best choice but politicians only become really well known once they get into early-late 30s, or even 40s. That's a long road.

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
1st year ANU student here,

I know a few people doing IR/Law and it's certainly one of the most popular courses at the university for a number of reasons.

Just finished an IR course last semester just as a random elective and l could easily tell it was one of the best taught subjects l had. Many many many many people at ANU are quite passionate about IR in general and stuff like embassy visits, public lectures, model UN etc. are always popping up. You might hardly believe me, but you won't find a shortage of people to talk about political stuff and current affairs.

That said, l didn't really enjoy the normal politics course too much. Perhaps it wasn't really my thing but it seemed to also be the opinion of many others. I've heard it does get better in the later years, the main problem with the first year course is that it's too basic.

ANU, like every other university, brightly shines in some subjects than others. But it is particularly strong for the interests you have outlined, so you should definitely consider coming here!

HSC
1st year ANU student here,

I know a few people doing IR/Law and it's certainly one of the most popular courses at the university for a number of reasons.

Just finished an IR course last semester just as a random elective and l could easily tell it was one of the best taught subjects l had. Many many many many people at ANU are quite passionate about IR in general and stuff like embassy visits, public lectures, model UN etc. are always popping up. You might hardly believe me, but you won't find a shortage of people to talk about political stuff and current affairs.

That said, l didn't really enjoy the normal politics course too much. Perhaps it wasn't really my thing but it seemed to also be the opinion of many others. I've heard it does get better in the later years, the main problem with the first year course is that it's too basic.

ANU, like every other university, brightly shines in some subjects than others. But it is particularly strong for the interests you have outlined, so you should definitely consider coming here!
Omg Thanks for the great advice!!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)