Double Degrees (1 Viewer)

Bekhit

HSC
what does everyone think of double degrees like commerce(business)/engineerin. Are they a waste of time and worth it. What jobs would you be able to get out of such a degree.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Bekhit said:
what does everyone think of double degrees like commerce(business)/engineerin. Are they a waste of time and worth it. What jobs would you be able to get out of such a degree.
i would really like to know too

sirfeathers

HSC
Bekhit said:
well, I did my HSC in 2008 too so I have no more experience than you in this matter, but I think double degrees are a great idea! I'm planning to do Science/Arts myself.

Why?

- if you have diverse interests, double degrees make it easier to pursue them.

- to employers, having two degrees shows that you have a wider range of skills, as well as the ability to view problems from a wider perspective than someone with a single degree. IMO this would be especially beneficial with combos like Comm/Eng, because lots of firms need people who can communicate and resolve issues between the management and production of their services.

- more and more people are doing double degrees these days. It's good to stay ahead of the pack

HSC
Even though you've got HECS, two degrees would still bump more money on ya student contribution.

T

Troy2287

In my opinion double degrees are excellent...Getting 2 degrees in a shorter time period then doing them seperatly is great. It proves to future in employers that you are an intelligent individual (as double degrees are more difficult to gain entry to) and also gives you an extra qualification.

However, you may want to consider the amount of work you will need to put in to complete a double degree. Lots more hours of uni + assignments and homework. Also means it will be more difficult to stay on top of it all.

All in all, IMO it is worth it in the end..

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
if you do your second degree in a subject deemed a 'national priority', like science, maths and stats, it's almost half the price of the others:

Student Contribution Amount for 2009 Enrolment

Band - Subject Area
Annual Student
Contribution Amount
Band 1 Humanities, Behavioural Science, Social Studies, Clinical Psychology,
Foreign Languages, Visual and Performing Arts
$5,201
Band 2 Computing, Built Environment,
Allied Health, Other Health, Engineering Surveying, Agriculture
$7,412
Band 3 Law, Accounting*, Administration*, Economics*, Commerce*, Dentistry, Medicine, Veterinary Science
$8,677
National Priority Education, Nursing, Mathematics**, Statistics**, Science**
$4,162

2009 students

If you commenced your course in 2009 you are a 2009 student.
** Mathematics, statistics, science units - As a commencing student in 2009 you will be charged at the National Priority rate ($4,162 pa) for mathematics, statistics and science units.
Course transfer - If you transfer from a non-science to a science course in 2009 you will be charged at the National Priority rate ($4,162 pa) for mathematics, statistics and science units in your science course.

Pre-2009 students

If you commenced your course before 2009 you are a pre-2009 student.
** Mathematics, statistics, science units - As a pre-2009 student you will continue to be charged at the Band 2 ($7,412 pa) rate for mathematics, statistics and science units. You are not eligible to be charged at the National Priority rate for these units in 2009 as you commenced your course prior to 2009.

Pre-2008 students

If you commenced your course before 2008 you are a pre-2008 student.
* Business units - As a pre-2008 student you will continue to be charged at the Band 2 rate ($7,412 pa) for accounting, administration, economics and commerce units in 2009.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hold on...

Let's say I am doing Law/Commerce.

Do I have to pay separately for both?

So that's like 8,677 x 2 = 17354

decypher

HSC
Troy2287 said:
In my opinion double degrees are excellent...Getting 2 degrees in a shorter time period then doing them seperatly is great. It proves to future in employers that you are an intelligent individual (as double degrees are more difficult to gain entry to) and also gives you an extra qualification.
I wouldn't say that they are harder to get into. You still have to qualify for the entry requirements for each degree. So to do Law/Arts you would need to get a UAI above the law cutoff.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Hold on...

nah, nah, cause you are doing it in less time - i don't knwo how they charge for double degrees, but i'm pretty sure its not both together

decypher

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
nah, nah, cause you are doing it in less time - i don't knwo how they charge for double degrees, but i'm pretty sure its not both together
You pay $900* in HECS for each subject you do. In double degrees you may have certain subjects overlap (i.e. you may be able to substitute subjects from degree A as electives for degree B etc). The fees listed by UAC are just a guide and the end cost of your course will depend on your situation e.g. fails, majors etc etc.

*Depends on the subject, e.g. nursing is cheaper than commerce etc

Smithereens

HSC
Do double degrees have an effect on how your units of study (for each degree) and timetable are organised?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
decypher said:
You pay $900* in HECS for each subject you do. In double degrees you may have certain subjects overlap (i.e. you may be able to substitute subjects from degree A as electives for degree B etc). The fees listed by UAC are just a guide and the end cost of your course will depend on your situation e.g. fails, majors etc etc.

*Depends on the subject, e.g. nursing is cheaper than commerce etc
yeh that's what i was thinking

sirfeathers

HSC
lyounamu said:
Hold on...

I'm pretty sure those fees are for a full study load in those courses. Ie. 24(= 4 x 6) uoc per semester, 48(= 8 x 6)uoc per year. (most subjects are worth 6uoc)

Eg. I'm planning on doing a Science degree and an arts degree. So say in my first year I did 24uoc of science subjects (0.5 of 48) and 24uoc of humanities subjects.

Then I'd pay

(0.5 x science fee band) + (0.5 x humanities fee band)

= (0.5 x $4,162) + (0.5 x $5,201) = $4681.50

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sirfeathers said:
I'm pretty sure those fees are for a full study load in those courses. Ie. 24(= 4 x 6) uoc per semester, 48(= 8 x 6)uoc per year. (most subjects are worth 6uoc)

Eg. I'm planning on doing a Science degree and an arts degree. So say in my first year I did 24uoc of science subjects (0.5 of 48) and 24uoc of humanities subjects.

Then I'd pay

(0.5 x science fee band) + (0.5 x humanities fee band)

= (0.5 x $4,162) + (0.5 x $5,201) = $4681.50
Oh I see. I was a bit confused by all this.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
what these people say are right. Doing 2 degrees nowadays is quite popular, but you are also right as well, to take into account the time factor. Because for me, i would rather do a single degree in commerce, which is 3 years gone. BUT after that i am considering CA which is 3 years, and then maybe an MBA or CFA which would probably another 2-3 years.

PS: Also i reckon that employers are more inclined to employ younger people.

T

Troy2287

decypher said:
I wouldn't say that they are harder to get into. You still have to qualify for the entry requirements for each degree. So to do Law/Arts you would need to get a UAI above the law cutoff.
At UoN a single surveying requires 68.45. A single Civil Engineering requires 70. These 2 combined requires 80.80.

Doing them together requires a better UAI? Unless I am confusing the definition of "combined" and "double" degrees?

Miss Winey

HSC
Troy2287 said:
At UoN a single surveying requires 68.45. A single Civil Engineering requires 70. These 2 combined requires 80.80.

Doing them together requires a better UAI? Unless I am confusing the definition of "combined" and "double" degrees?
UAIs are based on popularity/ number of positions offered only.
You can't look at it in terms of simple arithmetic. it's a different way of thinking.

in your example,
Out of all the students who want to chose surveying, say a hundred students, the person with the lowest UAI was 68.45. (therefore there could have been people with 99/100 in there as well)

Out of all the people who chose civil engineering, say 200 people, the person with the lowest uai at UoN got 70.

Out of all the people who wanted to do surveying AND civil engineering combined in a double degree, say 20 places offered, the person will the lowest UAI got 80.80.
Usually double degree offers less places. in fact, i'm pretty sure this is true 100% of the time.
To be fair, the UAI is always higher the uai of the higher single degree. (ie, it had to be over 70.)

good luck!
email me, if you want me to draw you a coloured mindmap of how it works.

erm

HSC
Miss Winey said:
email me, if you want me to draw you a coloured mindmap of how it works.
lol venn diagram ftw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)