• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Down syndrome girl has cosmetic surgery (1 Viewer)

williamc

HSC
boris said:
I dunno man, at the end of the day she's still going to have Down Syndrome, so why would you bother.
Yer at the end of the day, comestic surgery should only be done if someone wants to boost their own physical apperance. If someone doesn't even realise why they are getting surgery, then maybe it isn't for them.

It is hardly going to effect her confidence levels in public.

boris

Banned
HSC
williamc said:
Yer at the end of the day, comestic surgery should only be done if someone wants to boost their own physical apperance. If someone doesn't even realise why they are getting surgery, then maybe it isn't for them.

It is hardly going to effect her confidence levels in public.
I don't know how it was allowed to be done. Unless she only has a very mild case of Down Syndrome and understood exactly what she was in for... Which I find very hard to believe because even the most mild cases of Down Syndrome still exhibit mental retardation.

I don't think the parents did this for her. They did it to make themselves feel better when they take her out in public.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
From the information provided it does sound as if the parents are doing this to feel less embarrassed about their daughter when they go out in public. But who knows, this kid could have the mental capacity to make her own decisions.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Hold on, I've lost the plot. Whether it's right or wrong depends on whether the child has the mental capacity to understand what is going on.

boris

Banned
HSC
I've never met anybody with Down Syndrome who had the capacity to determine for themselves whether they needed corrective surgery to enhance their looks.

Mrs Kirwan said: "It just isn't right that Ophelia and others like her should be judged on how they look – particularly if they are turned down for a good job that they could handle. It's a matter of self-esteem: if you're not happy with yourself then why shouldn't you fix something? All I want is for Ophelia to be happy."
How will she be happy? She's still going to have Down Syndrome for the rest of her short life. She probably doesn't even have the capacity to look in the mirror and say 'oh gee, I'm so sick of looking like i've got down syndrome.... oh, wait, I do have down syndrome .

It's just the parents being ashamed of the fact their kid has Down Syndrome. It's their choice, not the kids. Hence
All I want is for Ophelia to be happy

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Who's to blame here though, the parents or the surgeons?

boris

Banned
HSC
A kid a few years above me had Down Syndrome. He was freakin hilarious, he loved the Spice Girls and kept trying to pick up chicks. He was awesome and I can't remember him being picked on or made fun of once.

I'm pretty sure he didn't go home every day lamenting about the fact he looked like he had Down Syndrome.

boris

Banned
HSC
Bacilli said:
Who's to blame here though, the parents or the surgeons?
I don't know.

I wouldn't blame the surgeons, but I bet they went through half a dozen doctors who refused to do it before they found one who would.

Last edited:

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Parents envy other parents 'normal' kids.
That's dog.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
boris said:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23354741-38200,00.html

I dunno man, at the end of the day she's still going to have Down Syndrome, so why would you bother.
although i disagree with cosmetic surgery!

your statement was pathetic man, so if you had a grandma that was in her 80's or 90's, and she gets very ill, DONT bother taking her to the hospital, shes nearing her age and shes going to die soon theres no point.

sad.......indeed

boris

Banned
HSC
wrxsti said:
although i disagree with cosmetic surgery!

your statement was pathetic man, so if you had a grandma that was in her 80's or 90's, and she gets very ill, DONT bother taking her to the hospital, shes nearing her age and shes going to die soon theres no point.

sad.......indeed
What the fuck are you talking about.
We're talking people with a diminished mental capacity getting cosmetic surgery at the request of their parents so that their parents can feel better about their childs aesthetics.

How the hell you can parallel those two arguments is beyond me.

The point I was making was that even though the parents are paying for cosmetic surgery to make their child look normal, the child still has Down Syndrome.

zoeanne

HSC
A girl used to come to my school who had down syndrome. she was so cute. also chasing afte the boys, telling everyone how sexy she was... like yer every now and then she said she was fat and wonted to go on a diet. but she never really knew anything like going to have cosmetic surgery. and she wasnt that bad with her down syndrome.. so if this girl has quiet bad down syndrome how the hell can the parents say its for her.
Its them that wont there daught to have it done. They wont to feel normal when having them out with them. SHE IS NORMAL they are a normal family she just has down syndrome..
if they truely loved there daughter they wouldnt be doing this !

HSC
They're looking out for their daughters future and she will appreciate it. Do you think she'll be too stupid to realise the boys don't like her because she's different looking? Being just that little bit more 'normal' looking will probably improve her quality of life dramatically.

edit: I dunno if I'd do it myself.

Last edited:

zoeanne

HSC
How is it going to improve her life? she will meet some guy he will say he luvs her just to get in her pants then find out she has ds. and piss her off. why make her go through all the pain of surgery then make her get hurt more?
the girl i used to know thought everyone luved her she used to go around tellin us she would go out with so and so, and she was fine wiht it. she now goes to a 'special education' school, and she has a df there with something (i forget what it is atm) and they are so cute together. she didnt have to change to find luv or have her life changed dramatically, her parents are proud of her and luv her for who she is. they dont wont to go out and change who she is...
The parents of this girl getting her cosmetic surgery may say they are doing it for her but we all know they are doing it for themself

HSC
How is it going to improve her life? she will meet some guy he will say he luvs her just to get in her pants then find out she has ds. and piss her off. why make her go through all the pain of surgery then make her get hurt more?
I doubt it's going to completely cover up her disorder, just make her a better looking person with it. Put yourselves in the shoes of someone who looks like they have down syndrome are you telling me you wouldn't prefer to look better?

boris

Banned
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
I doubt it's going to completely cover up her disorder, just make her a better looking person with it. Put yourselves in the shoes of someone who looks like they have down syndrome are you telling me you wouldn't prefer to look better?
Putting myself in the shoes of somebody who has Down Syndrome makes me to mentally incapacitated to give a shit.

HSC
boris said:
Putting myself in the shoes of somebody who has Down Syndrome makes me to mentally incapacitated to give a shit.
haha wow, you really believe that?

boris

Banned
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
haha wow, you really believe that?
If the person in question understood why they were getting cosmetic surgery, is it fair to say that they would also be capable of releasing the statement to the media themselves instead of their parents?

Indie-DiscoZ

HSC
wasn't the girl 5 when she got the surgery? so in effect if she had mild down syndrome and could of made the decision she wouldn't of known anyway cause she was five.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)