Drama Essay Content - Classroom Experiences? (1 Viewer)

phayte

HSC
My friend told me that ANY and ALL drama essays MUST CONTAIN CLASSROOM EXPERIENCE. At first i thought 'chyeah, sif.' Is there truth to this though?
If so, how can classroom experience be involved in an essay about the analysis of dramatic techniques/stlyes/etc.
Is that a hard and fast rule, or is it only questions specific i.e. How would you direct a production of Ruby Moon/ Streetcar Named Desire/ Our Town etc.
Thanks

Aeriff

HSC
Our teacher drilled into us that you must include experiental stuff, ie. classroom experience. Things like:

"The effectiveness of the aforementioned idea/technique has been made evident to me through a workshop we conducted in class concerning characterisation in Ruby Moon..." etc.

That usually how I do it with a variation on the opening ("The effectiveness..").

Hope this helps.

phayte

HSC
Alriiiight... We haven't been taught that but I think I can recall some workshops, if not they won't know a lie if I wrote one I guess haha :)
Thanks

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You don't have to include classroom experience. They're just the easiest way to give physical examples of staging the play. Other things you could reference instead would be a performance of the play, a hyperthetical performance, or a video recording of all or some of it (youtube for example).

If you want to include classroom experience, you can make it up. There is no way they can tell, nor do they care. If you do make it up, go for the best examples you can think of. Don't make up a bad examples, there's no point.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Yep, you need experiential evidence whether it be classroom experience (the easiest to write about and support your point because it's dynamic), or watching a performance of the play, or quoting the playwright.

In the marking guidelines it says you need 'supporting evidence' so that includes quotes from the play/playwright AS WELL AS experiential evidence.

phayte

HSC
Ok sweet, I've seen 3/4 of the plays we studied live and on film.
Thanks heaps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)