Drama group performances (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
I guess its about that time when preparations begin for Drama group performances...
Some of you may have just started, but i know our class starts this term.
I'm a little apprehensive about ours, because we dont know our groups yet (our teacher is choosing them, which is a good thing because if we had to choose there would be huge fights) i'm also a little nervous cause i'm a pretty bossy person and i dont do the "group" thing well... I'm going in with an open mind however, treating this as a personal challenge to cooperate :p

Any advice from previous drama students about how to survive this business?
If you could do your group tasks again, what would you do differently?
From your experience, what works? what doesnt work?

Greeetings to all those other drama students out there, about to take on this task, good luck

yasza

HSC
Hey
I'm in the same boat as you, slightly anxious about how it's all going to work out and would love some advice from previous performers?
i've heard similar to the IP performances steer clear of sterotypical american/teenage issues in the GP performances.. as well as
Take care of your health
Keep july hols free for rehursals at mates houses (which is unlikely because i turn 18 around this time)
Make sure you get on and can work creativly with your group or nothing magical will come of your tome and effort.
Good luck everyone!!

goosiegoo

HSC
Yeah we 'started' group performances yesterday. Our teacher chose our groups but i already knew who i wanted to be in a group with and luckily i got into that group. *sigh of relief*
I'm rather bossy too, or.. a bit of a control freak, haha, but i work fine in groups as long as everyone contributes alot. If they don't contribute then i end up taking over, and then they get angry at me for taking over...

Just remember to be co-operative with your group, and go to your teacher if you're having any problems with them, and be.. you know.. nice, the group should consider everyones ideas and one person shouldn't be in control of the whole thing. *shrug*

Good luck!

Ehrenkills

HSC
We haven't really started ours yet...
I have no idea why either. We got the stimuli, did you guys get any?
And we chose the groups, not like their wasn't a division in the classroom before that anyway.
I guess it's just for most of us is that the PIP central material is due soon... And we have a drama speech, did anyone else have to do that? Our topic is Site-Specific, street and event theatre.
=]

xoxo

HSC
what were the stimuli this year?
i dropped drama in yr 11 but am still really interested. i forgot we had stimuli for the GP's
what did everyone choose? what were they out of?

goosiegoo

HSC
1. Comfort zone

2. Sweet and sour

3. Gladly

4. Once in a blue moon

5. 1815

6. Scrap it!

7. Is it a bird?

8. The glasshouse

And thankyou for calling it Stimuli! :p Everyone in my class seems to think you have to base your GP on the topics, and i keep on saying its just a stimuli... *sigh* :p

I think we've chosen.. It's a bird. Some people in my group wanted Once in a blue moon, others wanted gladly, so we decided on 'it's a bird'. :D

I guess it's just for most of us is that the PIP central material is due soon... And we have a drama speech, did anyone else have to do that? Our topic is Site-Specific, street and event theatre.
We didn't have to do a speech for drama... we only ever do essays for drama theory, except for a design project we did once.

Last edited:

Loza33

HSC
We have chosen Scrap it!

I hate group work.. i really do..... my class is very limited in their motivation and i find it hard constantly trying ti jeer everyone up adn get them to work.... it sucks!!

We have a really good basis of an idea! But getting any further with it, is proving very difficult!!

Save me from GPs!!!

xoxo

HSC
goosiegoo said:
1. Comfort zone

2. Sweet and sour

3. Gladly

4. Once in a blue moon

5. 1815

6. Scrap it!

7. Is it a bird?

8. The glasshouse
ooh i like them!:)
i cant wait to go to the yr 12 drama night - its always so interesting to see the things people come up with
im kinda sorry i dropped it:mad1:
but whats done is done
Xx

Good luck everyone!

lyzzidc

HSC
my group chose sweet and sour
luckily there's only four people in my class so our group didn't need to be decided, don't know what I would have done if we needed to pick groups coz our teacher would have left it up to us. Anyway, I like my group, we're not very serious ppl so our gp should be funny

jazzmuzik

HSC
we havent chosen a stimuli yet... we have an idea and we're working on that.. no doubt we can link it later...

bussoti

HSC
My group has chosen 1815 and we've begun quite a few ideas on the subject. The only problem is our groups were chosen for us, so although I'm with my best friend and an aquaintance, my best friend's English isn't very good, which means limited dialogue on her part, and the other girl doesn't like to participate much and likes to rendezvous with her boyfriend during his free periods, so we're soon to have a Marxist takeover to bring her to her senses.

ellirene

HSC
we have a group of four people.
likeee.. our class has about 20 people in it.
and there is one group of three, which are ALL THE BEST preformers in the class, which i think is really unfair , as about two of the groups have been really hard done by, [willingness to work / preformace skills by each person]
so anyway, yes our group has 4 people in it.
one of which branches off my ideas.
the other who has really obvious ideas and tend to be rather cliche.
and the other is not strong at english so cannot think so symbolically.

so THEREFORE i am the driver in this peice :s

we have chosen "the glasshouse"

I deciphered heaps of diffrent movies/songs and got plenty of ideas about the songs [like 8 pages of writing] and no one else had anything :s

should i be worried ? hahahahah this is killing me.

blondesdoitbeta

HSC
ellirene said:
should i be worried ? hahahahah this is killing me.
Hmmmmm well i do think that u need 2 give them a kick in the butt!!! i have a group of 5 (as thats all in my class!!!) and we have 1 who is sooo pedantic about constantly working, 1 who sits and it feels like shes judging and 2 others who just muck around- eg she plucked his eyebrows at yesterdays practice time- and then theres me who mucks around 2 but when it comes time 2 shut up i do... we spend an hour of the hour and a half we had MUCKING AROUND!!! arrghhhh

anyway in answer 2 ur question id say that i'd start 2 be concerned... remember the group performance is a GROUP thing so u just putting in 110% and every1 feeding off u doesnt work every1 needs 2 put in some work!!

btw where is every1 at with their GPs??? we've only just gotten an idea that we're going with.... and we've chosen sweet and sour

shayla

HSC
Hi
Yeah i have a few more weeks until we get to do the performance stage of things, but sorry, if this does turn out bitchy, but there is one student in my group for my Yr 11 Group Divise (dnt kno how to spell that word). She has problems reading and the other girls in my group wont stop bitching about her and we are only allowed to do are practice for them in our free periods which we only have once every week and the girl that has the problems with reading, she is only there for 50% of the time and the other girls wont stop bitching about it, so i am hoping that everyone can memorise their lines and stuff. I dont think i have ever had so many lines in my life that needed to be memorised! "screams".
Thought that i would just let you know that yes we have the group work thingies.

Hannah

goosiegoo

HSC
We have a beginning for our GP, but no concept or... idea what we are doing for the rest of it. Haha. Sigh.
But i really like the beginning. :D

HSC
My GP is cool... we chose the stimuli topic of "Once In A Blue Moon" or "Scrap It" - we deviated so long ago, i can't remember. I think we had five minutes brainstorming on both and then deviated on a massive tangent... so yay drama! (sorry Harriet Gillies :)

We chose something slightly abstract and out-there, but it seems to be working so far... we've got about 3 minutes worth, with a beginning, middle but no end.

Guess that's what we'll be doing at 7:30 tomorrow morning.

Um... abstract is harder to rationalise, but is more fun... for everyone concerned... including the markers :) (sorry)

Without giving too much away, we are exploring children (NOT IN THAT WAY!) and it should be fun...

ellirene

HSC
Annoyed

GRR! today one of the girls in my GP told me to stop being bossy and taking control.

WELL EFF!

she has the WORST ideas, usually containing things which
are too hard/stupid to grasp.
a) seizures
b) smoking up on stage and asking "wheres the stuff"
c) dancing around a tree like hippies

No one else thinks up ideas in my group.
No one else looks at the criteria.
I MADE THE BASIS OF THE PREFORMANCE

seriously now, if i dont do anything and just sit back and watch,
our preformace will be a band 2 if we're lucky.

sry, i needed a bitch really bad.

ellirene

HSC
Re: Annoyed

thanks for your words of advice and its actually
made me feel alot better <3

x

holden4ever89

HSC
we are a trio,

and we are doing traffic lights -

RED

YELLOW

GREEN

its pretty cool,

and we were stuck for ages

but now stuff is coming together lol

:) :)

WOO HOO!

if anyone needs help with anything, let me know!

Etak90

HSC
hey
ours groups is doing a peice about technology, and we have hit a wall, we have about 8 minutes of performance which is good, but we have no drection its kinda just a bunch of scenes and we need something to tie it all together, and somethign that will give s charcters to adopt. there is 6 in my group which is reely hard to work with.
ne ideas?
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)