Drawing abilities and architecture (1 Viewer)

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
I might consider doing architecture next year, but I don't really know how to draw very well.

Will this be a major problem? ie do they teach you how to draw in UNI?

artist91

HSC
Most people are pretty artistic/creative/crazy asians that draw unreal.

They do teach you and you can sure get by without having any previous drawing talent because it's very structural drawing/drafting ie... you're not going to be drawing the next masterpiece you're going to be ruling lines at different angles.

mr_robato

HSC
Most people are pretty artistic/creative/crazy asians that draw unreal.

They do teach you and you can sure get by without having any previous drawing talent because it's very structural drawing/drafting ie... you're not going to be drawing the next masterpiece you're going to be ruling lines at different angles.
If your one of those three ladies from your Avatar, I'd like to complement your beauty.......................AKA HOTNESS.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
My brother is doing 5th year Architecture at Melbourne Uni this year. He says that while he could draw quite well, and it did help him, most of his year level didn't know how to draw and they either make do with programs like Auto CAD and other stuff instead, or have learnt to draw by now (you have many opportunities to take extra drawing classes).

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Yeah, obviously drawing skills are important when you're creating concept sketches as you need to have a good sense of perspective, flow of lines etc. To say you wont need to know how to draw if you're looking to do a B.Arch is wishful thinking.

However, if you want to improve your drawing skills, there are plenty of options available to do this. But remember, this is university level and no one is going to hold your hand. You need to have the motivation to improve yourself.

Assuring designs are technically accurate to building codes, a clients brief etc is one piece of the pie. Selling your design and its concept to the client is the other.

HSC
dont worry

ur probz only gona hav to do basic straight line blueprints n stuff like that coz draftin as a job got took over by computers so u dont need to b davinci

HSC
yeh bro datz true nd u dnt need 2 lyk noe maths for enginering nd stuff cuz dey got lyk calculatorz now too

blue_chameleon

HSC
Sid, it's also important to understand that Architecture is something that you should only look at if you are passionate about it.

No offense here, but given the other fields you are looking to study are vastly unrelated to architecture, it seems that you're looking into architecture for the sake of it, which would be setting yourself up for disappointment if you pursued it.

You need to be sure it's what you want to do because it's the type of profession where your ability to sell your ideas and concepts is crucial, and this is focused on across most uni's across all the years, where you're concepts are examined and criticised by lecturers etc.

I'm not saying that architecture isn't for you, but you really need to consider the reasons as to why you want to do architecture. Maybe post this in a specific universities sub-forum so you can ask architecture students what aspects of their degree they found the most challenging and why?

Last edited:

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Sid, it's also important to understand that Architecture is something that you should only look at if you are passionate about it.

No offense here, but given the other fields you are looking to study are vastly unrelated to architecture, it seems that you're looking into architecture for the sake of it, which would be setting yourself up for disappointment if you pursued it.

You need to be sure it's what you want to do because it's the type of profession where your ability to sell your ideas and concepts is crucial, and this is focused on across most uni's across all the years, where you're concepts are examined and criticised by lecturers etc.

I'm not saying that architecture isn't for you, but you really need to consider the reasons as to why you want to do architecture. Maybe post this in a specific universities sub-forum so you can ask architecture students what aspects of their degree they found the most challenging and why?

i am in no way 100% sure i want to be an architect, The subject is just something that I've always considered but never really thought about seriously. I think I would be good at it, but i may do civil engineering with architecture.

I am fully aware that architecture is tough field to get into.

I've still got a few months to decide what I want to do, so yeah, just weighing up my options.

blue_chameleon

HSC
i am in no way 100% sure i want to be an architect, The subject is just something that I've always considered but never really thought about seriously. I think I would be good at it, but i may do civil engineering with architecture.

I am fully aware that architecture is tough field to get into.

I've still got a few months to decide what I want to do, so yeah, just weighing up my options.
No worries.

Just make sure you talk to as many people as you can that either study it or work in it.

Depending on your intentions, there are plenty of related fields that focus on different aspects of building. Engineering, Construction Mgmt, Interior Design are just a few. Talking to people about it will definitely help.

jaredtomas

HSC
Urban planning/urban design is also another excellent related field.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
No worries.

Just make sure you talk to as many people as you can that either study it or work in it.

Depending on your intentions, there are plenty of related fields that focus on different aspects of building. Engineering, Construction Mgmt, Interior Design are just a few. Talking to people about it will definitely help.
yeah ill probably go to all the open days and stuff. try and get as much info as possible.

artist91

HSC
110% agree with blue_charmeleon. It's a labour of love. You will not survive the criticism, stress and general shiteness of architecture school if it is not the one and only thing you want to do with your life. If it's not your passion... do law!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)