• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Drinking age to rise to 21 (due to road toll) (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
People break the law and drink drive. Clearly if we make a law against drinking they will obey it.....
Maybe the law ought not to be against the drinking part of the crime... I don't for a moment want to have the driving age pushed up by two or three years, I'm 18 and don't fancy having to ask someone to give me a lift to work when I start at half past five in the morning. If they were looking t break the two up however I'd note that around 17-19 from personal experience there is a lot of binge drinking as this new found freedom(and experience) is enjoyed by self perceived immortals who say bugger the consequences.

Drawing a line is obviously arbitrary but for arguments sake say the binge drinking starts to settle down at 19 and drivers licences were issued at 20 or 21 you'd have a hell of lot less people trying to drive home in ridiculously dangerous circumstances. Its terribly flawed but sounds much more likely to work than telling a bunch of 17 year olds who already drink that they have to wait another four years before they can do it legally.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
People break the law and drink drive. Clearly if we make a law against drinking they will obey it.....
and the thing that really confuses me, is that most would likely perceive drink-driving to be a much more serious crime than underage drinking anyway...

Lentern

HSC
and the thing that really confuses me, is that most would likely perceive drink-driving to be a much more serious crime than underage drinking anyway...
Or that they are fine about driving home after having a few but would freak out if they realised they were on the roads and had left their license at home.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
not sure if anyone's said this already, but won't this just result in an increase in underage drinking?
+1

You can't legisla6te against stup0idity. It's like making dy7ing under the age of 100 ilklegal, it won't incrrease our life exp-ectancy. shi5t will still go dow3n no mjatter wat

witide

HSC
Wait...how will raising the age to 21 stop <18 people drinking? All he's gonna do is piss off everyone who can already drink and <21.

aussie-boy

HSC
WAIT WAIT WAIT

This is shocking reporting... I watched the show and that is NOT what he said

The presenter asked him 2 questions in quick succession - he seemed to change his mind on what to ask 1/2 way through the question due to audience reaction

1. are all your policies evidence based (or similar)
2. do you personally think the age should be raised

Rudd didnt hear the second question, answering a profound yes which was actually in answer to Q1

He was then completely confused when the presenter referred to his supposed answer to Q2 when further discussing the topic

All he said was that it was not an issue on the agenda and all policy would be evidence based and have nothing to do with his personal opinion

/thread

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
My friend seems to think that she heard from somewhere that IF this new law passes, those that were already 18 don't loose their priviledges, but those who turn 18 after this law is imposed have to wait til 21.

Butsrsly, fuck off K'Rudd.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If the law does get passed (which is unlikely), I don't think the government should be fully held to blame...it is their job to assess the evidence on whether it would work or not in the interests of the country with necessary debate (which at this stage doesn't seem to point to any action so all you 18-20 year old alcoholics can breathe/drink easy haha). It's really the retards who actually do drown themselves in booze, drag race and start killing innocent people on the roads (as opposed to themselves) who we should really point the finger at for ruining it for everyone else.

Apparently, the drinking age was actually raised to 21 in the US which I'm interested to see how it was introduced, how it was enforced and whether it was successful...lol

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
If the law does get passed (which is unlikely), I don't think the government should be fully held to blame...it is their job to assess the evidence on whether it would work or not in the interests of the country with necessary debate (which at this stage doesn't seem to point to any action so all you 18-20 year old alcoholics can breathe/drink easy haha). It's really the retards who actually do drown themselves in booze, drag race and start killing innocent people on the roads (as opposed to themselves) who we should really point the finger at for ruining it for everyone else.

Apparently, the drinking age was actually raised to 21 in the US which I'm interested to see how it was introduced, how it was enforced and whether it was successful...lol
() overload

HSC
There is good reason for the government to take this course of action. Hospitals, Schools, Police and other important services are fed up with violet behavior in society. If you know your history you will understand why it was reduced and why it should have been returned to 21 straight after the war.

I wouldn't fear any real action from Police they are too busy with domestics bogans to worry about piss heads killing people on our roads.

So just just keep wandering around aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi and one day who knows your parents and friends will see you on the evening news as a misadventure statistic.

There is simply not enough cops that could give2fuks about u anyway so do the right thing and you'll be sweet.
wat

hospitals schools and police are fed up with the incredibly low amount of violent crime in australia and the lowest deaths on our roads ever

do you see where i am going with this

we already have incredibly safe roads (for the amount of km driven and population density)

we already have low violent crime

that means that the current laws work and any changes are reactionary knee-jerks to gain votes with wowsers

kia_rio92

HSC
uhh ok so the govt complains about the amount of underage drinkers, yet if they raise the age dont they realise there will be more?? what do u do to the people who are 18-21 who have been drinking legally b4 they changed the law....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)