driving techniques. (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
All i know is doule clutch, heel and toe and single clutch rev match. What else is there?? I don't mean drifting or anything, just techniques you can use randomly on the road without risking jai time.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Left foot braking, keep the revs up while you're going through a the turn so you can accelerate quicker out of it. Works especially well in automatics. BTW, double clutching in cars with synchromesh transmissions is bad for the transmission.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Double Clutching??? i might seem stupid but what is that

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
You had me? You never even had your car! Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should. You're lucky that the 100 shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake. Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried. Ask any racer, any REAL racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Double Clutching??? i might seem stupid but what is that
Shifting into neutral, blipping the throttle then shifting into the gear you want.

Edit: And that bit in F&F doesn't even make sense, to rev match on an upshift you need to let the revs drop, not increase.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Or you could let the clutch slip or you could just flat shift. Either way waiting for speeds to sync would like triple shifting times.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Azamakumar said:
Or you could let the clutch slip or you could just flat shift. Either way waiting for speeds to sync would like triple shifting times.
Shifting by rev matching is actually quicker than letting the synchros do it, that's why racing transmissions aren't synchronised (also for simplicity/reliability and to save weight) but yeh, you only double clutch on downshifts. I've been reading about it because I wanna get my truck license soon.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Riet said:
BTW, double clutching in cars with synchromesh transmissions is bad for the transmission.
wouldn't it be the same as heel and toeing?? All you're doing is keeping revs up...

Azamakumar said:
Oh yeah isn't double clutching only for downshifts.
yes lol. why would you do it when shifting up??

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
wouldn't it be the same as heel and toeing?? All you're doing is keeping revs up...

yes lol. why would you do it when shifting up??
You shouldn't heal toe downshift either, you don't need to keep the revs up, they will go up on a downshift anyway. Racing drivers heal-toe because they have crashboxes.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Riet said:
You shouldn't heal toe downshift either, you don't need to keep the revs up, they will go up on a downshift anyway. Racing drivers heal-toe because they have crashboxes.
But for going around bends you can do it to slow down but not have the car jerk.

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
driving techniques include:
staying off the footpath
staying to your side of the road
not driving for 10km with your handbrake on
using your indicator
not hitting pedestrians (unless theyre aboriginal)

i think ive covered all bases

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Just keep shifting down and engine braking before the turn, so you can redline through/out of the bend.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Besodeiah said:
driving techniques include:
staying off the footpath
staying to your side of the road
not driving for 10km with your handbrake on
using your indicator
not hitting pedestrians (unless theyre aboriginal)

i think ive covered all bases
ever considered a career in stand-up?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
But for going around bends you can do it to slow down but not have the car jerk.
If you can use the clutch properly it shouldn't jerk anyway, and you should shift before turning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)