driving techniques. (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Riet said:
If you can use the clutch properly it shouldn't jerk anyway, and you should shift before turning.
yes, but say you are going through a bend at a fast speed. In order to downshift smoothly you are going to have to reduce your speed by quite a bit. This will lower your revs. By heel toeing you can keep the revs up.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Azamakumar said:
I guess that would only work well in autos then.

because by downshifting you also slow down, keep revs up and since you are in a lower gear you can accelerate quicker.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
yes, but say you are going through a bend at a fast speed. In order to downshift smoothly you are going to have to reduce your speed by quite a bit. This will lower your revs. By heel toeing you can keep the revs up.
You can't keep high revs and high revs while a gear is engaged, think about it. The only point of heel-toeing is to rev match. In a car with synchros you DON'T NEED TO and SHOULDN'T double clutch/heel toe.

Left foot braking is especially useful in turbos and automatics because it keeps boost up/the torque converter loaded.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Why not just rip the handbrake of mums camry then, so you're slowing down whilst holding redline?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Riet said:
You can't keep high revs and high revs while a gear is engaged, think about it.
huh??

The only point of heel-toeing is to rev match. In a car with synchros you DON'T NEED TO and SHOULDN'T double clutch/heel toe.
ahok. Does it fuck up the car?

Left foot braking is especially useful in turbos and automatics because it keeps boost up/the torque converter loaded.
Well I don't know too much about turbos but I can see why it would help on autos. But just ordinary mannys wouldn't need it.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
huh??

ahok. Does it fuck up the car?

Well I don't know too much about turbos but I can see why it would help on autos. But just ordinary mannys wouldn't need it.
The gears are a direct connection, you can't have higher revs without going faster unless you're in neutral.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
It's not like you're gonna roll out at idle speeds. You'll have enough exhaust pressure to keep boost running close to maximum (provided you hit max boost at around 5k). Benefits are negligible imo.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Riet said:
The gears are a direct connection, you can't have higher revs without going faster unless you're in neutral.
yes, but a simple downshift increases the revs anyway, i don't see why left foot braking is needed.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
That was in regard to heel toeing, argh. You said you heel toe to gain revs when you downshift rather than slowing too much. You can't gain revs while in gear without going faster so there is no point heel-toe downshifting.

Why you would left foot brake: When you close the throttle plate on a turbocharged car it stop producing boost and therefore there is some lag after continuing acceleration on the other side of a corner. Automatic cars have this problem kinda too. To prevent it drivers would brake with their left foot while keeping the throttle open a bit so the turbo would stay spooled up. A similar technique is trail-braking which is braking with the left foot while in a corner to change your driving line.

If you don't have a turbo then there is no point for it. The guy asked for "driving techniques", left foot braking is one.

F2001

HSC
Riet said:
That was in regard to heel toeing, argh. You said you heel toe to gain revs when you downshift rather than slowing too much. You can't gain revs while in gear without going faster so there is no point heel-toe downshifting.

Why you would left foot brake: When you close the throttle plate on a turbocharged car it stop producing boost and therefore there is some lag after continuing acceleration on the other side of a corner. Automatic cars have this problem kinda too. To prevent it drivers would brake with their left foot while keeping the throttle open a bit so the turbo would stay spooled up. A similar technique is trail-braking which is braking with the left foot while in a corner to change your driving line.

If you don't have a turbo then there is no point for it. The guy asked for "driving techniques", left foot braking is one.
who the hell told u the meaning of trail braking.
... with left foot?
... and the outcome is to change your driving line?

trail braking is nothing but braking while in a corner (which you say). You shorten your brake zone, and increase apex speed. Not this driving line left foot bullcrap.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If you brake while in a corner you have a very different driving line to if you brake completely beforehand.

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
synthesized said:
jeez you guys must be in a hurry all the time, that or you only drive on race tracks.
Places to go, bodies to dispose of.

I developed a new driving technique today, called 'come up to your driveway too fast in an unfamiliar car, freak the fuck out and corner with the clutch in'.

Some days I fucking loathe myself.

Pace_T

HSC
synthesized said:
jeez you guys must be in a hurry all the time, that or you only drive on race tracks.
its about being cool. knowing all these things makes you cool, k.

F2001

HSC
Riet said:
If you brake while in a corner you have a very different driving line to if you brake completely beforehand.
You brake late as possible, modulate the pressure towards the apex if need be, maintain the optimum line.
Time to be gained in braking is so far overlooked. Why is Schumacher so good? Look at Lewis Hamilton's input graphs too, very good trail brakers, yet maintain the line (there is only one line most corners anyway). Why are those two drivers, exceptionally great at overtaking where braking zones are moderate to long?

I have no idea where you thoguht trail braking changes your driving line. It's a skill you know and depends on your car's weight transfer under braking.

If you brake completely beforehand which most amateurs do, they let it roll to the apex, same line as a good trail braker but obviously slower.

quik.

HSC
Don't wanna interrupt the convo but if anyone could answer this I'd be pretty happeh.

Taught to brake/emergency brake on the bike with the clutch pulled in, both front and rear brakes applied. If the clutch is in, does that stop engine braking helping you to stop?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)