• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

drop or not (1 Viewer)

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
Well, I planned to drop business studies in year 12 as it is an annoying subject.
But one of my friends say that i should keep 12units so that my ATAR wont be dragged down if i have done badly in a subject.
I am pretty sure that i will stuff up english ....

so should i keep 12units or not?

there is another option. That is changing advanced english to standard & keep 10units. Actually, that's what i wanna do. But my teacher wouldnt like me to do it as std. eng has a bad impact on ATAR (that's what she said =| )

i am confused.
!?what should i do?!

Last edited:

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
people say that if you have only 10 units, you will stuff up. but if you have 10, you have more time to study for your subjects and also, its the HSC don't stuff up...and yes standard english is a ATAR killer. do advanced. and no matter how crap you go in english, it is still going to be counted. there is no point of keeping buisiness studies if you hate it. for me, if i hate a subject, like year 10 history and geo, i am not motivated to do well... that is why they say do subjects that you like doing so you can be motivated to do well

Uncle

Banned
HSC
drop business studies to avoid doing case studies and other extensive research assessments.

go to school, learn the theory, do some pracs in school (maybe an excursion to maritime museum for the shipwrecks elective) and go back home.

some have found it a more viable option to drop from advanced english to standard.

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Drop it. Adomad has a good point. More time to study on your other subjects!

It's wonderful :)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
English will count no matter what, as for business i say drop it, im dropping it too :D

lychnobity

HSC
Well, I planned to drop business studies in year 12 as it is an annoying subject.
But one of my friends say that i should keep 12units so that my ATAR wont be dragged down if i have done badly in a subject.
I am pretty sure that i will stuff up english ....
Flawed logic right there. English is going to count anyway, and if business is annoying, well, why not get rid of it?

As for standard english, I'll admit it's a much, much easier course, but at the top end, the scaling difference hardly matters.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey, may. My suggestion would be to keep them all first in Term 4 this year. It is wise to do that because Year 12 is certainly different to Year 11 course. Might as well see how you like the course and how you are performing in the first HSC task to see if it is worth keeping or not.

GL =)

HSC
Hey, may. My suggestion would be to keep them all first in Term 4 this year. It is wise to do that because Year 12 is certainly different to Year 11 course. Might as well see how you like the course and how you are performing in the first HSC task to see if it is worth keeping or not.

GL =)
that's a very good approach

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC

GL =)
that's a very good approach
yeah ... maybe i should keep 12u up to term 4 & see how i go ~ what should i do for the english thingo?

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
how badly are u struggling with english?
to be honest, i got

10/15 in AOS reflection
9/15 in essay thingo
5/15 in comprehension part
which turned out to be 58% (that was how i went in HY)

& i got 9/15 for the assignment for the module A

i should even be in ESL class but my sku doesnt have it & somehow i was in adv class ... lol
:rofl:

HSC
to be honest, i got

10/15 in AOS reflection
9/15 in essay thingo
5/15 in comprehension part
which turned out to be 58% (that was how i went in HY)

& i got 9/15 for the assignment for the module A

i should even be in ESL class but my sku doesnt have it & somehow i was in adv class ... lol
:rofl:
if u feel that ur doing really bad in english then my suggestion would be to drop it

as for scaling, im not quite sure about this but i herd that its quite equivalent towards the scaling in adv. english (correct me if I'm wrong)

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
if u feel that ur doing really bad in english then my suggestion would be to drop it

as for scaling, im not quite sure about this but i herd that its quite equivalent towards the scaling in adv. english (correct me if I'm wrong)

.and yes standard english is a ATAR killer. do advanced. and no matter how crap you go in english, it is still going to be counted
& some other people said like u
*confused*

oh, well. let me try out my prelim & see how i go

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

you are indeed correct. standard and advanced english scale exactly the same (ie. there is no difference) so there is flawed logic in those who righteously claim they scale differently, they simply have different scaled means / averages.

some may ask why people in standard get such low marks compared with advanced and therefore label it an "ATAR killer". the simple reason is that students doing the standard course are just not academically capable enough to gain a high mark eg. a band 6. (this comes from my english teacher who is a HSC marker)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)