Drop to standard english?? (1 Viewer)

Zai94

HSC
Is it better to get average marks in Adv. English (50-70) or top standard? Thinking to drop down but dunno...

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Don't drop to Standard or you will make a silly mistake just like I did. It's almost impossible to get Band 6 in Standard :(

Zai94

HSC
Like my marks are around the 50s and 60s, i should stick with it huh...
Naww standard that bad...

unknown88

HSC
N/A
DO NOT DO STANDARD! As a standard kid in 2011 HSC, that was the biggest mistake dropping down from advanced. Trust me in saying this, the difficulty is slight between advanced and standard. To score 15 +/20 is very challenging in standard. In the HSC < 1percent get band 6 in Standard and 4-5 percent get band 5. The average mark is 66 for Standard English and 81 for Advanced English. Those stats speak for themselves. Whatever you do just stay with Advanced and improve your mark, 50-60 isn't that bad and with effort you can go good in Advanced. Here is a link to validate my information http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2010_HSC_Table%20A2.pdf

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Like my marks are around the 50s and 60s, i should stick with it huh...
Naww standard that bad...
Standard will hurt your ATAR big time, i regret doing standard because it is going to hurt my HSC so much.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
People that say doing Standard will get you a better result is absolutely stupid out of all honesty. It is highly unlikely you will do any better in Standard then you do in Advanced since only ~0.1% receive Band 6 and 3-4% receive Band 5. The rest will receive Band 4 and below which is rather poor especially considering the scaling is also poorer. For comparison's sake, in Advanced, ~15% receive Band 6 and ~45% receive Band 5. Doing Advanced, you have a much better chance or receiving Band 5 or 6 which also scaling better than a Band 5 or 6 in Standard. Bottom Line: Never take Standard English under any circumstances, if your school is forcing you to drop then bring it up to the Head Teacher, Principle and Board of Studies if the first to fail.

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
People that say doing Standard will get you a better result is absolutely stupid out of all honesty. It is highly unlikely you will do any better in Standard then you do in Advanced since only ~0.1% receive Band 6 and 3% receive Band 5. The rest will receive Band 4 and below which is rather poor especially considering the scaling is also poorer. Doing Advanced, you have a much better chance or receiving Band 5 or 6 which also scaling better than a Band 5 or 6 in Standard. Bottom Line: Never take Standard English under any circumstances, if your school is forcing you to drop then bring it up to the Head Teacher, Principle and Board of Studies if the first to fail.
So true.

I regert doing it so much :(

However I don't particularly want to chance for one reason being that I can top standard unlike Advance which in my year has freaking tanks at it.

danjw

HSC
Everyones going to go crazy at me for saying this but idc, I'm so glad I dropped to standard it's not even funny.
I think it's about 10000000 times easier then advanced and gave me extra study time which allowed me to drastically increase all my other marks.

But that's my personal opinion.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Don't do Standard.

it is possible to improve your marks if you try.

enoilgam

HSC
As has been said dont drop standard, you would be shooting yourself in the foot.

danjw

HSC
Lol that's one of the reasons i might drop to standard if im forced to. How did you go in your trials but?
I managed to get 81% in standard and increased my bio mark from 74% (half yearlys) to 91% (trials)
All my other marks increased by about 5%ish but I was just stoked with all the extra study time I got to spend on Biology as it was one of my weakest subjects.

enoilgam

HSC
I managed to get 81% in standard and increased my bio mark from 74% (half yearlys) to 91% (trials)
All my other marks increased by about 5%ish but I was just stoked with all the extra study time I got to spend on Biology as it was one of my weakest subjects.
Its all about ranks. Less than 5% of the state get a band 5 and above in standard, with only 64/32,000 people getting a band 6 in the subject last year. Standard is a poor subject to do, and unless your school forces you to do otherwise, you should stick with advanced. Standard is an ATAR killer in most circumstances.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I managed to get 81% in standard
I raw mark like won't even get you a Band 5. Standard aligns worse than Advanced BY FAR and it also has weaker scaling (slightly).

If you got 79 in Standard (95 Percentile) and 100 in MX1, MX2, Physics and Chemistry, you would only get 99.6 ATAR which is quite bad after receiving 100 for the generally considered "Asian 5" consisting of the top scalin subjects.

An 86 in Advanced which is probably about 70 percentile will give you 99.9, get 90 in Advanced and you will get 99.95 if you had 100 in all of those other subjects.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I raw mark like won't even get you a Band 5. Standard aligns worse than Advanced BY FAR and it also has weaker scaling (slightly).
Er....don't Standard and Advanced scale the same?

HSC
Please don't drop to standard I can not stress how big of a mistake this would be if you did it. JUST DON'T DO IT. Standard and advanced are assessed on the same scale so the stuff about it being better getting so and so in standard as opposed to so and so in advanced is BULLSHIT.

DON'T DROP TO STANDARD

Reason I'm getting so into the argument is because I dropped to standard and it was the biggest mistake EVER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)