Drop to standard english?? (1 Viewer)

gaugau1

HSC
Shit! I shouldn't of read this . Doesn't help when I have a standard eng exam in two weeks!! Arrggghhh fml !

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
then why do only a few people get band 6's? O_O
It aligns poorly so you need alot higher marks to get a Band 6. Scaling and aligning are different. Scaling refers to how good your scaled mark is relative to HSC mark. Aligning is how Board of Studies gives X amount of Band 6s, X amount of Band 5s...etc.

The difference between scaling is similar to that of Chemistry and Physics where Advanced is Chemistry and Standard is Physics. This difference is small though.

enoilgam

HSC
Shit! I shouldn't of read this . Doesn't help when I have a standard eng exam in two weeks!! Arrggghhh fml !
Its too late to be second guessing yourself or worrying about this stuff now, just do the best you can.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
How many threads like this on BOS are needed? Someone sticky please.

unknown88

HSC
N/A
The subject really has no positive to it and a lot of negatives. Teachers and year advisors never tell you about its aligning etc, mainly because they dont know.
+ 1 ...Teachers should make it compulsory for kids to do Advanced English if they are moderately good at English. To get 70 in Advanced is being in the bottom 7percent of the state doing Adv. English. However to get 70 in standard is beating 53percent of the state...As l previously said in my other post the stats speak for itself.

unknown88

HSC
N/A
ohh okay thanks!

umm you just said that getting 70 in standard will beat more people than getting a 70 in advanced ? O_O
That is correct...basically what l am saying is...to get 70 in Advanced English you need to BEAT 7 PERCENT OF THE STATE doing adv english...compared to 70 in Standard english..you need to beat 53 percent of the state doing standard english. Look at this link to help you http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2010_HSC_Table%20A2.pdf

HSC
People that say doing Standard will get you a better result is absolutely stupid out of all honesty. It is highly unlikely you will do any better in Standard then you do in Advanced since only ~0.1% receive Band 6 and 3-4% receive Band 5. The rest will receive Band 4 and below which is rather poor especially considering the scaling is also poorer. For comparison's sake, in Advanced, ~15% receive Band 6 and ~45% receive Band 5. Doing Advanced, you have a much better chance or receiving Band 5 or 6 which also scaling better than a Band 5 or 6 in Standard. Bottom Line: Never take Standard English under any circumstances, if your school is forcing you to drop then bring it up to the Head Teacher, Principle and Board of Studies if the first to fail.
quite stupid actually

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Annoys me that my school told everyone in the year that unless you are doing ext english to do standard.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
similar to mine, anyone below 67% should do standard, she puts you down and destroys your self esteem if you don't
It was so annoying, my school really put students off by saying Advance is extremely hard and only those whom can do Ext 1 or 2 should do it :(

I guess at my school the average band in Standard is band 4 (no one gets higher) so it isn't that bad, but I wish my school told us that Standard would be a poor choice.

cheepy5

HSC
Keep it !!! I did advanced for the first 2 terms of prelim and then got moved up to advanced because I almost doubled the average mark :44 and was 20ish marks ahead of the person in 2nd, so the head of english moved me into advanced right when they were doing Othello :/ But to be honest it wasn't that difficult compared to standard if you put in the effort and time. I picked standard because my year 10 teacher told me to, but ironically he gave me an A, only about 50/180 people got an A for english at the end of year 10.

Last edited:

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC
Dropping to standard is a joke. You do virtually the same paper, your marked to the same standard as an advanced student but your taught like a 5 year old. Don't do it. Its way better to get average in advanced.

interesting

HSC
N/A
Dropping to standard is a joke. You do virtually the same paper, your marked to the same standard as an advanced student but your taught like a 5 year old. Don't do it. Its way better to get average in advanced.
WTH is it the same?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)