dropping 2 unit maths to general.... (1 Viewer)

Scanorama

HSC
Talk to him about it, tell him how you feel about 2 Units Maths.

Maybe if you are not very very bad at maths, give those program a go. It is possible to drop down to general as late as Term 1 next year and catch up with no problems, provided your school allows you to drop down next year. when I dropped down to General last year in week 4, term 4, I've already missed out 2 topics and I caught up and beat almost everyone in my class.

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
I got 35% in my Year 11 yearly last year my rank was 16/37, not a bad one but it's just so many works and I didn't understand it at all.

True, General's scaling is crap, but if you intend to go to uni then general is better than no maths. The good thing with General is you can spread out your time for other subjects as well which in the end, you may get a better marks across all subjects. I've done ok in the last 4 terms in general and getting 80%+ is not impossible. My trial mark was 82%, trial rank: 1/51, final rank: 1/51. I highly doubt I would get the same if I'm still doing 2 units maths.

Depends on what you want to do in Uni, courses such as Maths, engineer do expect you to study 2 Units maths but others such as Science, Computer Science and lots more courses don't require that, General Maths is perfectly fine :)

Don't worry about the scaling. If you do badly in a subject, even with the best scaling ever, you will still get a very low mark. However if you do very good in a subject, even with the worst scaling ever, you will still get a very high mark. Do the subject you like and you will get a good mark but not based on the scaling.

Hope this helps and good luck with your study in your HSC.

thats true too. if you do really well at a subject with crappy scaling you can still get the marks for it :)

my friends who do general maths say it's piss easy - i don't think some of em even studied for their yearly general maths exam and they're still doing well in it.

upto you, really. good luck though :)

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
reformskoolgirl said:
OMG I'm totally in the same dilemma

Maths just isn't my subject - i hate it- i just don't try

i'm doing mathematics 2 unit at the moment and i'm going pretty crap

but so is the rest of my class.............

and basically i could go a whole lot better if i put some effort in

but i'm considering doing general cos i know i could definitely get 95% +

should i ?? i mean compared to 40 - 60% results in maths !!

i just wanna do like communications or arts at uni anyway so it wouldn't matter what maths i do anyway - would it?

someone help!!1 :eek:

i had that problem earlier this year. but if you practice heaps and start getting better at maths it sorta boosts your self-esteem in the sub.

i usually feel a little pissed off, annoyed and/or depressed when i can't answer a question that i took 20mins to attempt :(

it's like "aww i can't do it. wtf is wrong with me? i don't get it!" etc etc.

i still don't get how 4U maths is possible

i'm doing 3U maths at the moment [we haven't been given forms to drop subjects yet] and i can't give a flying fcuk about 3u maths really, yes, i've GIVEN UP. in my last assessment i got something like 30% haha.

i REALLY don't get how people can possibly enjoy* 4U maths :confused:

Last edited:

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
I got 35% in my Year 11 yearly last year my rank was 16/37, not a bad one but it's just so many works and I didn't understand it at all.

True, General's scaling is crap, but if you intend to go to uni then general is better than no maths. The good thing with General is you can spread out your time for other subjects as well which in the end, you may get a better marks across all subjects. I've done ok in the last 4 terms in general and getting 80%+ is not impossible. My trial mark was 82%, trial rank: 1/51, final rank: 1/51. I highly doubt I would get the same if I'm still doing 2 units maths.

Depends on what you want to do in Uni, courses such as Maths, engineer do expect you to study 2 Units maths but others such as Science, Computer Science and lots more courses don't require that, General Maths is perfectly fine :)

Don't worry about the scaling. If you do badly in a subject, even with the best scaling ever, you will still get a very low mark. However if you do very good in a subject, even with the worst scaling ever, you will still get a very high mark. Do the subject you like and you will get a good mark but not based on the scaling.

Hope this helps and good luck with your study in your HSC.
u dont have 2 do certain subjects 2 get in2 most courses, most say assumed knowlage, not u have 2 no it (althou its advised u no it) doin genral maths and no maths will have the same effect on getting in2 courses cos no course has a pre-requisit(i dunno how 2 spell that word) of genral maths... i say it is usless n fuk it n concentrate on other subject unless u have 2 do it u units. if ur gettin 20%, there is no way in hell ur gunna get a 90% in genral, trust me. keep with it or drop it, unless u have 2 do it 2 make up units then do genral.
ps: dont think about scaling

so i think i will stay with maths at the moment and put in the best effort!

but how good would it feel to come first in general maths!

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
Connections said:
ok tomorrow me and 3 of my mates are dropping maths from 2 unit to general because like we all did shit as in the 2 unit test.....is this a bad thing to drop like will i have no opportunity for a job in the future or will I not be able to get into uni :( please give me some feedback....lata
If you're to dumb for 2 unit, then dropping to general would be the best option.

General Maths is still worth 2 units. Everyone thinks that doing ADVANCED subjects in some way makes them look smarter. Both the Advanced Maths and General Maths courses have different things to offer for different people.

Will you USE any of the stuff in Advanced Maths in your career? If not, perhaps you will be better off in General where you will learn about stuff that you will need, and that is not offered in the Adanced Maths subject.

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
reformskoolgirl said:
but how good would it feel to come first in general maths!
You would get a better UAI being first in General Maths than just doing AVERAGE in 2 units.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
he aight gunna cum 1st in genral maths getting 20% in 2u. noway 2 get a band 6 in genral maths id say u would be a band 5, or band 4 at worse in maths (as a raw mark). which might scale as a to a band 6 as a scaled mark or a high band 5. remember maths (no matter wot type) is all about study, if u can do well in genral ur an idiot 4 not doin advanced

vahsi

HSC
N/A
WOW!!! I can't believe there's so many other people are going through the same things that me and my friends are going through. But there's a bit difference with our class. I moved upto advanced math class during term 4 year 9 since i was coming first in intermediate, it was pretty smooth untill term 2 this year, the teachers decided that the standard class was too big so they decided to split the class and there wasn't enough teachers to teach 4 year11 math classes which was 2 standard classes 1 2unit and 1 3unit. So they decided to join they 3unit class with the 2unit class. The 2unit class had an outrage but there was nothing we could do, it was a matter of "take it or leave it". We (2unit) didn't realise how much we were effected by the 3units coming to our class since the work was 2unit work. Until we had our half yearly exam and the 2unit went worse than normal. This happened because the 2unit work was too easy for the 3unit and the teacher rushed us and we couldn't learn as much as we could, that's why i got 46 for my yearly mark and i was forced to drop to general. I had to drop to general bcoz i can't drop the subject since i only have 10units. But it's wierd how the same thing is happening all over again, now the work in general is way too easy for me and my friends that has dropped from 2unit and the work is too hard for general. Eventually the original general class is going to goto the other class and more people are going to drop from 2unit and ending up with the original 2 unit dropping to general class, the original general class combing back and the 2unit class is going to be left with 3unit work.

WHOA!!! I just had to get that out of my system!!! sry if i've given any1 that has read this a headache but it's all true.BTW this is my first post at this forum!

dangerousdave

HSC
Welcome to the forum!

Opposite thing happened with my school, not enough teachers for two 3 unit classes, so there was a full 3 unit class and a 2/3 unit mixed class. Lots of the 3 unit people in that class failed after half yearlys so they dropped to 2 unit and caused a merger of the remaining 3 unit students with our class.

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
I am in my HSC at the moment , well finishing it .

I didnt do badly last year with an average on about 65 , My top mark was 75 ( some thing aroubnd there , but most of test were in the 60's and some in the 50's.

This year I have only gone above 60 , 3 times and most of my tests are about 50 or low 60's.

My ranking for my school report , and the end of the year was 69/85 , but if you looked at the half yearly's , I was about 69/105 . Thats becasue people have dropped the subject , not becasue I got worse.

In the pleminary year a I was about 66/120. There has been a massive drop in the numbers in the 2 unit course. But I have stuck with it and practiced .

Here is the thing , with unit 2 scaling the is a only a slight UAI difference. IF you got 75 and another person got 60 , there is only a 2 UAI point differnce. If you do well in all your other subject this should make up the 2 point differnce.

So keep with 2 unit maths, trust me ;)

7th Sign

HSC
no man im dropping it its too late i have like a meeting with 3 of my mates and this careers teacher tomorrow hopefully ill come top 5 in general :)

wisequaker87

HSC
I'm most likely dropping from 3u to general which may sound silly to some people, but I am doing primary education at uni, which is apparently based on general not 2u maths... so figured this would be more advantageous to me. I think just do what feels right... :)

Sapphire

If I was back in Year 11 again.....I would have dropped from 2 Unit to General much earlier. I took the advice of people, and I tried to work hard in 2 Unit, but the work never paid off. Believe me, it is possible to go from 20 - 30% in 2 Unit to >90% in General. Being in General doesn't mean that you're not good at maths.......it's a whole different type of maths to 2 Unit, so you don't have to really be worried about dropping late and missing Yr 11 work either. If you want to keep a maths subject for Yr 12, and you hate 2 Unit, then my advice would be to drop. It's so much less stressful too !

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
same, if ur not enjoying it (ok, its maths) then general is good, i should've, but im lazy n now its too late (my HSC exam is 2morow)

so if ur gonna do, do it! friends who have dun it reckon its made skool for them betta, they've got maths which they're good at....a good confidence booster...or if ur like me n u just wanted to do it coz ur alzy, then yeh, dont b so lazy that u dont drop, jus do it too, i reckon it would've paid off, considering iof sum1 looks at ur hsc thing, they c 'maths' not 'lowest maths' or ne down putting shit like that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)