Dropping a degree (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
Hey im doing software engineering and commerce at UNSW and i was wondering what it'd take to drop the software engineering part and just do the commerce
im assuming i'd have to start next year semester1 since i'm doing all software engineering courses for this semester and next semester for 1 of my electives, it is a commerce course. i.e. my double degree is based on software enginnering and commerce is squeezed in thru the electives and an extra year at the end
can this be done?

im going to ask unsw during the week but i'd like to have your opinions on this.
thanks.

rand0m3r

HSC
you can, but seng/comm is great, why would you drop it. there are many ppl on these forums (like politik) who dream of being in your (and my) position.

Pace_T

HSC
software enginering requires a lot more understanding than studying
since im not naturally smart im falling behind really fast
theres many more reasons y i dont want to do software engineering.

when can i transfer to bcom? mid year or next year
also, will i be garuanteed a position?? because ive already made it into bcom really
will any of my marks from uni count so far if i request the transfer now (but obviously wont start bcom single degree until semester2 or semester1 next year)? ive done really crap lol.

i didnt know politik wanted to get into bsoftware... we're presentation partners for computing 1 this semester :O

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Pace_T said:
Hey im doing software engineering and commerce at UNSW and i was wondering what it'd take to drop the software engineering part and just do the commerce
im assuming i'd have to start next year semester1 since i'm doing all software engineering courses for this semester and next semester for 1 of my electives, it is a commerce course. i.e. my double degree is based on software enginnering and commerce is squeezed in thru the electives and an extra year at the end
can this be done?

im going to ask unsw during the week but i'd like to have your opinions on this.
thanks.
think about transferring to commerce/computer science as you have more electives and can thus do more commerce subjects.

Pace_T

HSC
i dont want a degree that has to do with it/computer sciences/ computers all together

does anyone know the answers ot the above questions

thanks to those who replied. :)

gman03

HSC
Next semester, do all the subjects that a first year commerce student would take in first semester.

Nothing is garuanteed. However the probability you can transfer into a straight degree during mid-year is high. If you transfer mid-year then no uni marks are counted. Details of that are discussed many time in the General Uni -> Transfer subforum, did you look through there?

rand0m3r

HSC
i'm not sure if you can do mid-year transfer for commerce, but even if it is end-year, your chances are extremely high with that sort of UAI. and as gman said, pick those commerce subjects next session.

Pace_T

HSC
some computer type of subjects are compulsory in second semester and there's 1 commerce course in the second semester
but i dont think its worth it cos i absolutely dread computing courses
i'd rather just leave the uni and apply again for semester 1next year (if they dont take mid year transfers) - either through uac or unsw itself (cos i've arleady made into commerce)
does that sound like a good idea?

rand0m3r

HSC
pace, the word "compulsory" is used more loosely in uni. it is still compulsory in the sense you have to do that subject in order to graduate, but the order in which you choose your subjects is entirely up to you, as long you do the pre-requisites of subject X before subject X itself.

so like i said before, just fill up your whole sem 2 with comm subjects and then transfer and you'll be fine. but you really should seriously re-consider seng. the first year subjects are suppose to be fun. i don't know much about the current 1st yr COMP subjects, but most ppl who have done COMP1011 (Computing 1A) will tell you that it was really fun. plus, the combination of business and IT is great.

Pace_T

HSC
rand0m3r said:
pace, the word "compulsory" is used more loosely in uni. it is still compulsory in the sense you have to do that subject in order to graduate, but the order in which you choose your subjects is entirely up to you, as long you do the pre-requisites of subject X before subject X itself.

so like i said before, just fill up your whole sem 2 with comm subjects and then transfer and you'll be fine. but you really should seriously re-consider seng. the first year subjects are suppose to be fun. i don't know much about the current 1st yr COMP subjects, but most ppl who have done COMP1011 (Computing 1A) will tell you that it was really fun. plus, the combination of business and IT is great.
if i choose all comm subjects for semester 2 that means i have to do all these crap subjects for this semester
no way am i doing this crap id rather just drop out and start again next year some how (or semester2 this year)
i really dread it and im going to steer clear of IT for good cos ive made up my mind

ill just go to the student centre and see what they say
this is the building near where the stargate sort of thing is right? near clancy auditorium and mathews theatres

thanks for ur replies

gman03

HSC
Pace_T said:
if i choose all comm subjects for semester 2 that means i have to do all these crap subjects for this semester
Then dropped those subjects and do just one 6uoc maths. I am sure QMA will need that kind of stuff.

Student Central (or NSQ) is next to the Library Lawn.

Pace_T

HSC
sounds like a good idea gman
umm but which maths are u referring to keeping? math1131 or math1081.
regarding the idea of picking up comm subjects in semester 2, i'd pick the subjects that dont have prerequisites right??? (that would normally be run in semester 2. )
so then in semester 1 2007 i will be doing the regular com subjects, and then semester 2 2007 will have less subjects because ive already done those in semester 2 2006 (and then i can put some in there from 2008 or hwatever)

if its the 1081 that i keep, i have to go to uni for all the same days as going full time wihch is crap
and im not going to do that just so i can then start non-prerequisite comm courses that run in semester 2 in semester 2.
essentially, this strategy doesn't save me any time, but it does however, maintain my enrolment at unsw.
it all boils down to what maths i have to keep (or if its both) because i can just quit this year and go back next year. there's no doubt that i can get in and during this year i can be working and earning money

thanks for your suggestion gman

gman03

HSC
No worries.

I was referring to math1131 btw. You don't need math1081 for pure comm as far as I know.

It wouldn't save you time much, but you can attend the comm lectures in the mean time and meet some people so that they lend you notes next semester etc.

You most likely do QMA+MICRO+ACTL 1A next semester plus something else.

Pace_T

HSC
sounds cool
so say if all my subjects can be run in the other semester
(that is, semester 2, year 2 subjects for comm can run in semester 1 2007 etc) and i can "shift" all my courses to 1 semester earlier, then my time at uni would be 3.5 years (the .5 is from screwing around with this 1131 for this semester)
just asking this to clarify things

so on monday ill have to go to student centre near the library to sort things out
cheers gman03!

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
You can also apply to have your non-commerce subjects count as geneds so you haven't wasted all of them. You can probably graduate in time like other BCom students if you overload in your final yr.

gman03

HSC
Yeah, shrinking to 3.5 years is possible, but you have to plan your subjects selection carefully. (e.g. fill the gaps with your minor / other major etc.)

Pace_T

HSC
Hmmm I'm not very sure on how to plan what courses I am going to choose each semester, so I'll ask the student centre if they can help me sort out a plan for me. I am only going to keep 1 of 4 of my subjects that I'm doing now (one gen ed one) since if i choose any other i have to stay at uni for most of the week..

so technically im dropping software eng after semester 1 right?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
You should just drop everything now since the HECS closing date is 31st March so that you don't have to pay for any of the useless courses.

Pace_T

HSC
redslert said:
You should just drop everything now since the HECS closing date is 31st March so that you don't have to pay for any of the useless courses.
Yep... I want to get this all done before 31st march cos I dont want to pay it :p
the problem with dropping everything is that im then unenrolled at unsw.. and ill have to go thru uac again, at the end of the year, as far as i know
maybe someone can correct me if im wrong?

rand0m3r

HSC
just out of interest pace, why did you choose soft eng./comm. in the first place? i mean changing degree plans in the first session happens to a lot of us, but the words "software" and "engineering" quite blatantly imply tough, technical sort of work. i'm surprised that you were expecting something different...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)