dropping chem? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys, i am seriously contemplating dropping chemistry, it was the one subject i only took because of the uni courses i am interested in (pharmacy, medicine, (anything medical related really)) and i am just not doing that well in it @ all... im not sure if its worth dropping it just so i can focus more on my other subjects? what do u think?

kelbel88

HSC
drop it if you dont like it and not doing as well as you have liked i faced the same dilemma but at the end of the day if your not gonna do well in it drop it as it will only get you down too.
my chemistry teacher was first year out of uni and didnt even know how to teach or even explain concepts of the topics at the time .what was worse was when she would delibrately ask the answer to some question i got wrong and she knew
i have bad memories of chemistry and thats why i will hate it forever!!!!!!!!!

HSC
thanx 4 that advice... the only thing is, i dont know if i'll get into the uni courses i want if i dont have chem on my list of subjects... i mean if i really wanted to i could put in the effort for it, i am just not entirely sure yet if its worth it... u no??

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
hey guys, i am seriously contemplating dropping chemistry, it was the one subject i only took because of the uni courses i am interested in (pharmacy, medicine, (anything medical related really)) and i am just not doing that well in it @ all... im not sure if its worth dropping it just so i can focus more on my other subjects? what do u think?

i chose chem for the same reason...

my highest mark ever in chem (for an assessed exam/task)... in both yr's 11 and 12 was 80

but hey that never put me down... (well it did but not enough to make me drop it)

i've come to near failing my yr 12 half yearly.... and i went pritty bad in my yr 11 end of yearly...

however.. chemistry is a hard subjects...
My sis did chemistry in yr 12... her internal average was something like 55%....
she ended up with a mark of 70% in the end... not the best but i mean she was averageing 55%... Chemistry is not an easy Subject.... however it's also not the hardest... so long as u can be bothered to write notes on all syllabus dot pts and memeorise them u should be fine...

since u know ur able to achieve the results ur looking for only if u put in the effort.. I don't see why u should drop it.. u should only drop it if u've discovered that ur best is getting u nowhere.. plus u could always do a bridging course.. but i mean u might as well put in the effort now

u said before u weren't entirely sure if it was worth putting in the effort...
how could it not be... offcourse it is.. u wont regret putting in the effort for chem... (man I wonder how many times i said the word effort) what are the rest of ur subjects... and how many untis do u do...

if u drop what do u have to cover up for the 2 units
or do u only wish to drop it once u reach yr 12...?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
Chemistry, i must admit, is one of the hardest subjects- expect low marks in assessments during year 11 and some of year 12 but a high HSC mark. Dont drop it- i its not your fault, blame it on the subject

Im sure chemistry will help you if you do choose to get into engineering, science, medicine, pharmacy.... in the future

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
If you want to do pharmacy you'll probably need chem.
If you're not enjoying it at school drop it and do a bridging course like physician suggested. Then you can focus more on your other subjects.
But if you're not enjoying it, pharmacy probably wouldn't be a great field for you to work in.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
most science courses in uni have chemistry as assumed knowledge. if you don't like chemistry, it's not likely that you'll find those courses interesting, or manageable.

chemistry is all about revision and understanding of the concepts. if you work hard enough, it'll all click.

when i was in year 11 i sucked ass at chem. i got only 19/30 for the mid-yearly assessment. from then on i just read through my textbook (conquering chemistry) and did all the chapter exercises. now i'm finding it a lot less challenging, and i guess i'm doing okay.

if you can sit in front of a chem textbook for an hour and find yourself reading the first line for the 30th time, then maybe you and chem are just not meant to be. :p

richz

chemistry is just abt regurgitating the text, just rite notes for all the dot points and remeber them, they are practically all the questions they can ask. Its not really that hard, like all other subjects its all about memorising. Easiest way is to eat it, i know that is physically imposible but i wish i cud do that and have the entire book in my head in 5 mins :D

HSC
hey guys, thanx for ALL your replys... im doing physics, chem, bio, SDD, adv eng and 3u maths, im not REALLY worried about having 11 units, as i am HOPING that i will progress to 4U maths(wishful thinking)
you all sounds really smart, 70%? bad? am i asking the wrong people for help? i cmae =17/18 (last time i checked that means equal LAST) in the half yrly exam... i didn't realise i was doing THAT bad until then... then i came 13/18 for the assessment rank...
i know i need to put in the hard yards for it, and i do find it fairly interesting, but i think i'd be better at my other subjects if i didn't have chem sitting there painfully bugging me for more time!
can one get into a science degree @ uni without chem, if they have done it in yr 11 and also completed bio, physics and 3U maths??
also whats a bridging course?
thanx agen 2 all ov u

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
well, many science courses require an UAI of >90, so the hard work is necessary.

i don't want to offend you, but it does sound like you're struggling a bit in chem. i know what it's like because i had the exact same dilemma with english extention 1. i knew that if i put mountainous amounts of effort into it, i could probably do well, but it really wasn't worth it for me. i'm doing 10 units now, after dropping it, and i'm really glad i didn't keep it. like you said, it was just there bugging me.

of course you can get into a science course without chem. they do not require you to study certains subjects in high school, but it's stated that those subjects are assumed knowledge, which means it would help you a great deal to have studied them, so that you won't have to do bridging courses, etc.

i'm not 100% sure on the definition of a bridging course, but it's like making up for a subject you didn't do in high school, that you need for your uni course.

HSC
lots of the popular courses at uni have chem as a prerequisite...some of them don't even offer the bridging course

HSC
hey thanx 4 ur replys, yet again ur helping me... ummm if anyone knows a good website that tells you the prerequistes as "nurosurgeon" was telling me about i'd really like to have a look thanx MWA

HSC
keep chemistry, i almost dropped it but i had a talk to my teacher and got some strategies underway and im performing alot better, going from 35th to 15th atm, maybe even better with recent pleasing results

but if you really sincerly hate it then i'd drop it

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
I almost dropped chemistry in year 11. My average was about 40%. I'm doing better now. My average now in year 12 is about 85%, and I've heard similar stories from other year 12 chemistry students. The course is also FAR more enjoyable in year 12.

Any content in year 12 which requires year 11 work will be revised. So don't fret about possibly not knowing any of the year 11 course. ;)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
A large proportion of the work in year 11 (especially term 1's work) SHOULD'VE been taught from years 7 to 10. By the way, what are the OTHER subjects you do?

HSC
Smart_Dunce said:
A large proportion of the work in year 11 (especially term 1's work) SHOULD'VE been taught from years 7 to 10. By the way, what are the OTHER subjects you do?
the other subjects i do are phys, bio, 3U maths, adv eng and SDD... im thinking that the other 2 sci's plus the extn maths SHOULD (hopefully) get me into uni... but what if they dont :'(

the reason im not doing well is basically that im just not interested... i can do the stuff in class, and if i put my mind to it, i can imagine i'd be really good at it... but its just lack of interest and YEA... the term 1 work i flew through, i was fine then... but l8ly its just getting worse and im not bothering with it n yea... i dunno!

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Keep it for year 12, and if you still don't like it, drop it?

There are no prerequisites. However, if you're doing any biology, chemical or materials course, chem is assumed knowledge, so... it'd be a good idea to keep it even if you don't do spectacularly at it.

HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
hey!! strategies aye?? care to share??:p
i purchased 'spotlight chemistry'
spent 2 hours a day for ~a month working through the book, summarised every thing, answered every single question

when it came to the yearly, i got the first 2 sections full marks (14/15, 15/15) (but i didnt do the questions for last 2 topics (energy and water) in studying)- and got like 6/15 - 5/15 for those 2 topics

HSC
i think after my half yrly report for chemistry, i really am let down... i will actually try and do well in the 2nd half of the preliminary course... exams are coming up tho! (yrlys) i guess its just one of those subjects that seem so simple that i can't even be bothered with it... but look @ me now, im crap @ it!
i think this term i might put in my best efforts in everything i do! WISH ME LUCK!

term 4 is just around the corner guys... dont 4get! every assessment task goes towards our HSC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg! im freakin out just thinkin about it!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)