Dropping Maths and Science for HSC (1 Viewer)

sudodds

HSC
Hi, I'm kind of struggling with this decision at the moment and I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

The subjects I'm doing right now are: Advanced English, Modern History, Ancient History, Economics, Drama, Studies of Religion I and Mathematics, which adds up to 13 units - which wouldn't matter too much if I wasn't planning on picking up Extension History. History is one of my favourite subjects and my teachers have recommended me for the course, however I don't think 14 units is a good idea, so I have to drop something.

English and Religion I are compulsory, Drama will really help with the career that I want which is something in Film/TV production (plus I really love the subject), Ancient and Modern are my best subjects (ranking wise i'm coming 1st and 2nd in my school), and I'm doing quite well in Economics as well.

That really only leaves Mathematics, which I am doing alright in, however it is still my worst subject, I have no motivation for it and I just hate the class in general. It is also not a prerequisite for any of the uni courses that I am considering (though it is recommended for some aspects of production).

Is maths really that important? Can you still get a good ATAR without doing any maths or science? Has anyone else dropped them both? How did that work out for you?

Thanks! (sorry I know this was quite long)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Rank of school?

Rough ranks in each subjects/cohort size of subjects?

I'd consider dropping..

sudodds

HSC
My school was ranked 83-84th last time i checked.

The rough ranks for all of my subjects are:
Ancient History ~ 1/21
Drama ~ 4/22
Economics ~ 4/21
English ~ 6/76
Modern History ~ 2/37
Religion ~ 10/92
Maths ~ 31/73

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lolwat

i did 14 units for my hsc

edit: "i should drop something because i have x units" is a silly reason to drop, imo

You drop something because you really want to, or because you need to, not because "oh crap i'm doing so many subjects"

Last edited:

sudodds

HSC
Did you find it hard to manage all your subjects? Idk maybe I could do 14 but at my school that means you have no free periods.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Did you find it hard to manage all your subjects? Idk maybe I could do 14 but at my school that means you have no free periods.
Not really, it's just time management. Although all the subjects I did, I really liked, so I didn't feel myself going "ugh wtf is this - this is stupid"

You seem to feel that with maths, so consider the idea of dropping it for that reason. Not "omg 14 units"

And the free period argument is moot. Did you have free periods in Year 10? Year 9? Year 8? etc. No.

sudodds

HSC
Good point. But yeah, I do feel that way with maths :/

Idk I've got a few more weeks to figure this out, but thanks for the advice :) At the moment I think I will probably drop it.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Good point. But yeah, I do feel that way with maths :/

Idk I've got a few more weeks to figure this out, but thanks for the advice :) At the moment I think I will probably drop it.
I think you should drop maths-what really struck me about your post is you said you had no motivation in it-passion is a prerequisite for doing well in something-with so much on your plate, definitely pursue something your love rather than linger on something you dislike.

imannnk

HSC
I've realised that the subject I hate the most, I will do the worst in. Drop maths if you really don't like it. You can always do a bridging course later if you end up needing maths for your course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)