Dropping X1 (1 Viewer)

fintan

HSC
im doing X1 and strongly believe it would be better for my UAI if i wasnt. Im doing ok in it (avg about 70 in our relitivly easy exams) but i think if i dropped it i would be better off in my other subjects in terms of time devoted to study.

Could you all please give me reasons to keep/drop it because i have heard things like "to get into the 90's you need to have an extenstion subject" and i know there are certain corses that need X1 but i want to know how safe it is to drop it.

cheers

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fintan said:
im doing X1 and strongly believe it would be better for my UAI if i wasnt. Im doing ok in it (avg about 70 in our relitivly easy exams) but i think if i dropped it i would be better off in my other subjects in terms of time devoted to study.

Could you all please give me reasons to keep/drop it because i have heard things like "to get into the 90's you need to have an extenstion subject" and i know there are certain corses that need X1 but i want to know how safe it is to drop it.

cheers
How much time do you spend on it? I think 70 in MX1 is awesome. I never got that high mark in MX1 last year. Now, I am averaging about 90-94. What I can tell you is that you can always spend time during holiday to catch up on all the work. That will greatly benefit you. Getting 70 means that you have a good grasp of MX1.

The main reasons to keep MX1:
  • pretty awesome scaling, which is even higher than EX2
  • there are courses that require or ask you to complete this course, especially the courses related to Medicine and Engineering courses
  • it can actually help you with normal Mathematics because you can use some of the MX1 formulas to solve 2 Unit questions which make it easier for you to solve them
The mains against keeping MX1:
  • it's a difficult course
  • it requires a huge chunk of your own personal time
In conclusion, I ask you to continue with this for the time being. As I said, 70 is awesome in Year 11. If you utilise your holiday time effectively, you can catch up all the work you missed and do better.

fintan

HSC
see when i chose my subjects i was considering somthing like engineering but now im going towards the humanities. Still id like to keep that option open.

Are you sure i need X1 to do engineering and medicine?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fintan said:
see when i chose my subjects i was considering somthing like engineering but now im going towards the humanities. Still id like to keep that option open.

Are you sure i need X1 to do engineering and medicine?
For engineering, yes. For Medicine, I think it is highly recommended that you do so.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure you need it for Engineering.

fintan

HSC
but even if i drop there are those bridging courses that i could do if i really wanted to do something like engineering, does anyone know much about them?

AnandDNA

HSC
I would rather complete the MX1 course over a space of 2 years then cram majorly in 2 weeks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)