Dual degree worth it or no? (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
I am going to study Computer Science this year and I am not sure if combining it with some sort of engineering is worth it.
At the moment I am not sure if I like hardware(electronics) or software, but I have interest in both.
Doing computer science would mean that I will not deal with any type of hardware.

So my options are:

1) CS
2) CS + EE
3) CS + Mechatronic (I am not interested in mechanical engineering)
4) Comp Engo

Which would be wiser to choose.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
You can always change your engineering major because usually first yr core subjects are the same, so pick whichever one you feel would be of most interest to you.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
If you have interest in both then comp eng will give you a taste of electronics but will be primarily coding based.

Elec eng will give you knowledge in many areas, not only electronics. If you want to focus on computing in particular, then steer away from elec eng.

Mechatronics will mainly focus on control systems (which is a diverse field that can involve mechanics, electronics, processes, etc). In practice, a lot of control systems engineering is designed and realised by models, coding and mechanical components.

Comp sci is mostly comp eng minus the electronics and minus the thesis year.

turntaker

HSC
If you have interest in both then comp eng will give you a taste of electronics but will be primarily coding based.

Elec eng will give you knowledge in many areas, not only electronics. If you want to focus on computing in particular, then steer away from elec eng.

Mechatronics will mainly focus on control systems (which is a diverse field that can involve mechanics, electronics, processes, etc). In practice, a lot of control systems engineering is designed and realised by models, coding and mechanical components.

Comp sci is mostly comp eng minus the electronics and minus the thesis year.
Thanks for the response.
If I do comp sci. I can still choose electives from comp engo right?
I just won't do the thesis year.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The comp eng courses that are related to hardware could be from a different school, depending on the uni.

At UNSW, all the courses that comp eng students must do and comp sci students don't that are electronics related are under the school of electrical engineering and telecommunications. Comp sci students have no option to do these courses as they start off with one course in school of elec which is a pre-requisite for all other courses that the comp eng students must do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)