DUX of school: did not do ESL? (1 Viewer)

mecramarathon

HSC
hey did anyone actually become dux of the school and didn't do ESL?

cause in my school, for the sixth time in a row the person who got DUX did ESL and now it's become a ritual for those cheapasses in my school to do ESL cause they know they'll easily get high marks :angry:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
mecramarathon said:

cause in my school, for the sixth time in a row the person who got DUX did ESL and now it's become a ritual for those cheapasses in my school to do ESL cause they know they'll easily get high marks :angry:
me (equal dux with another person who didn't do ESL)

actually, no matter who duxed, they wouldnt have done ESL because my school doesnt offer it :D

LOL

lionking1191

HSC
mecramarathon said:

lol if they are allowed to do ESL then obviously english isn't their native language. you want them to do standard/advanced so that you can get a better mark? the ESL course is there for a reason. it doesn't even scale well anyway.

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
all duxes of my school did advanced english or higher

Last edited:

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
LOLS i got dux and didnt do esl

id think about 95% of schools would have duxes that didnt do esl?

kevinant

HSC
Only dux of class of 04' did ESL in my school, rest did advanced English (including me) so it shouldn't be rare, in fact ESL dux should be the rare ones.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
My school didn't offer ESL. Nor did my ex-school. So dux of each didn't.

HSC
My school never has, and probably never will, offer ESL.
Only one person in my year would have been eligible for it, and he ranked in the top three/four of Advanced anyway.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
dp624 said:
all duxes of my school did advanced english or higher
I think that's because everybody has to do Advanced English because there isn't a standard/ESL course available. Generally in Year 11 only the English "dumbarses" do Advanced English. In Year 12 that changes due to 4U Maths coming into the equation, encouraging people to drop a unit of English and pick up a unit of maths.

dp624

HSC
duckcowhybrid said:
I think that's because everybody has to do Advanced English because there isn't a standard/ESL course available. Generally in Year 11 only the English "dumbarses" do Advanced English. In Year 12 that changes due to 4U Maths coming into the equation, encouraging people to drop a unit of English and pick up a unit of maths.
yes i know that

sirfeathers

HSC
mecramarathon said:

me

although to be fair my school doesn't offer ESL. we have standard english but i don't think anyone's ever duxed(??) the school with anything except Advanced. In fact I can think of only two years where the dux didn't do EE1, and I was the first for like 4 years who didn't do EE2. but thats probs cos we kindof suck at maths/sciences compared to humanities subjects

sirfeathers

HSC
ps. by dux do you mean highest UAI achieved at the school? at some schools (like mine) it's based on internal assessment results only, which is certainly a much more subjective way of determining it, because it is harder to incorporate the kinds of scaling algorithms used in UAI calculations. If your dux got the highest UAI doing English as a 2nd language, he/she must have worked pretty damn hard at ESL and all other subjects to get 99.75, and is probably very deserving of the title. But that's just my 2cents

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
lol if they are allowed to do ESL then obviously english isn't their native language. you want them to do standard/advanced so that you can get a better mark? the ESL course is there for a reason. it doesn't even scale well anyway.
I thought ESL scales better than Standard English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)