Early Entry, Who got in? (1 Viewer)

LOOMESY

HSC
elnewb said:
Oh good I got 54% for advanced english. Hopefully I still get the comp science.

Here are my marks. Reckon I'll get it?

IPT 78% - 3rd (2nd/20 overall)
IT VET 95% - 1st (1st/6 Overall)
Physics 55% - 15th (13th/30 Overall)
Modern History 70% - 4th (4th/15 Overall)
Advanced English 54% - (70th/90) :mad1:
2U "Advanced Maths" 55% - (30th/40 Overall)

I thought the interview went well overall but I forgot to show him a few things. I had an african guy called Philip for my interview. He was pretty funny and we ended up talking about everything.... He even told me a story involving karate kid. We also talked about mathematical theories and programming techniques, languages and other things.

that Phillip guy did a ICT talk at our careers day, he was pretty funny, shared us all these true and funny stories and gave his email out to a couple kids if they had questions, and my mate actually emailed him and he sent it to like 10 people who all replied the question my mate sent

he actually convinced me to go to uow too

im not sure if you will get guranteed to be honest, because of your maths mark. my mate went for comp science and got conditional entry, for maths (70 i think he needs) and english
so you may get that, dont count me on it though seeing you had Phillip and he seemed to like you

let me know if you got it or not

elnewb

HSC
LOOMESY said:
im not sure if you will get guranteed to be honest, because of your maths mark. my mate went for comp science and got conditional entry, for maths (70 i think he needs) and english
so you may get that, dont count me on it though seeing you had Phillip and he seemed to like you

let me know if you got it or not
Yeh he had a really good sense of humour.

He asked me if I could manage to get a 70 in maths so maybe he put me down for conditional entry. I hope its unconditional though!

He took a copy of my game that I made in IPT and I showed him my Cisco IT essentials certificate (http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/course_catalog/IT1.html), which should count for something. I had this awesome portfolio to show him and everything but we ran out of time :(. He had to go do a lecture about PHP and cgi.

Last edited:

LOOMESY

HSC
elnewb said:
Yeh he had a really good sense of humour.

He asked me if I could manage to get a 70 in maths so maybe he put me down for conditional entry. I hope its unconditional though!

He took a copy of my game that I made in IPT. I had this awesome portfolio to show him and everything but we ran out of time :(. He had to go do a lecture about PHP and cgi.
i'm guessing that you might get the conditional entry if he said that

what was your game about?

we had some weird database major at our school
got full marks so im happy
however the teachers made this assignment and didnt actually know how to do it themselves, and i was the only one in the two classes that got it all working

and im guessing you're going for the gaming major in comp science?

elnewb

HSC
LOOMESY said:
i'm guessing that you might get the conditional entry if he said that

what was your game about?

we had some weird database major at our school
got full marks so im happy
however the teachers made this assignment and didnt actually know how to do it themselves, and i was the only one in the two classes that got it all working

and im guessing you're going for the gaming major in comp science?
Just an extremely small platformer where you had to go and clear a computer of viruses and worms and stuff. There's an older version here:

http://pcrescue.sourceforge.net/

It has it's own sourceforge page! I haven't updated that in quite a while though and it could be very buggy. I don't know what the graphics are like on that version either. It's windows only and I am on my mac so I can't really test it.

Yes I am definitely going for the multimedia/gaming major if I get in.

WARNING RANT:

I found that quite a few people in the room waiting for an interview had actually very minimal experience with IT and they would be more likely candidates for unconditional entry just because they have a decent mark for english and general maths. It really, really pisses me off. It isn't just UOW. I've met students from UTS doing ba IT who actually didn't study any form of IT or have any background in it but they still ended up with scholarships!

Last edited:

LOOMESY

HSC
elnewb said:
Just an extremely small platformer where you had to go and clear a computer of viruses and worms and stuff. There's an older version here:

http://pcrescue.sourceforge.net/

It has it's own sourceforge page! I haven't updated that in quite a while though and it could be very buggy. I don't know what the graphics are like on that version either. It's windows only and I am on my mac so I can't really test it.

Yes I am definitely going for the multimedia/gaming major if I get in.

WARNING RANT:

I found that quite a few people in the room waiting for an interview had actually very minimal experience with IT and they would be more likely candidates for unconditional entry just because they have a decent mark for english and general maths. It really, really pisses me off. It isn't just UOW. I've met students from UTS doing ba IT who actually didn't study any form of IT or have any background in it but they still ended up with scholarships!
yeah thats what my interviewers for computer science said. i was like the first or second person who wasnt applying for the gamnig major (i was going for enterprise systems), they also said that most of them didnt really know what the course involved, and that it just wasnt playing games like they thought
and i was like their last interview of the day

i dont think i would have the patience for making games honestly, plus i'd feel it would ruin my gaming experience of other games, like i'd be thinking how they made the game while playing it

but i'm guessing your rant would occur in any other degree too

elnewb

HSC
LOOMESY said:
yeah thats what my interviewers for computer science said. i was like the first or second person who wasnt applying for the gamnig major (i was going for enterprise systems), they also said that most of them didnt really know what the course involved, and that it just wasnt playing games like they thought
and i was like their last interview of the day

i dont think i would have the patience for making games honestly, plus i'd feel it would ruin my gaming experience of other games, like i'd be thinking how they made the game while playing it

but i'm guessing your rant would occur in any other degree too
I found making my game to be challenging but fun. And yes like you said, I do now go.. "I see how they did that!" or "How the **** did they do this?". It also makes you realise how lazy some game developers are.

The people that think it's just about playing games should have been put up against the wall and shot in the interview. Or at least kicked out.

Yes I guess my rant does apply to other degrees. But I seriously wish they would take a preference over a good mark in a relevant subject than a good mark in a more general subject.

Last edited:

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Yeh but that being said, a lot of Hsc subjects are nothing like their University equivalents. Having a good mark in english and maths shows some general language and analytic skills which are useful across disciplines...I'm not necessarily condoning choosing people based on these marks alone, but good marks in those subjects as well as suitability for the degree is what a lot of early entry interviewers are looking for.

elnewb

HSC
Js^-1 said:
Yeh but that being said, a lot of Hsc subjects are nothing like their University equivalents. Having a good mark in english and maths shows some general language and analytic skills which are useful across disciplines...I'm not necessarily condoning choosing people based on these marks alone, but good marks in those subjects as well as suitability for the degree is what a lot of early entry interviewers are looking for.
They may be nothing like their uni equivalent (that doesn't make sense, if they were equivalent then they would be equal, the same or at least similar but I will continue forward anyway!) but they form a solid basis of knowledge.

It can be applied across all schools of uni study. Those that have succeeded in biology at school will most likely have less trouble with biology in uni and the same goes for visual arts or law or IT.

Anyway we are wayyyy, wayyyyy off-topic now.

LOOMESY

HSC
elnewb said:
They may be nothing like their uni equivalent (that doesn't make sense, if they were equivalent then they would be equal, the same or at least similar but I will continue forward anyway!) but they form a solid basis of knowledge.

It can be applied across all schools of uni study. Those that have succeeded in biology at school will most likely have less trouble with biology in uni and the same goes for visual arts or law or IT.

Anyway we are wayyyy, wayyyyy off-topic now.
yeah i nearly forgot what this thread was about

i agree with both of you in some way

i think that some people in year 10 picking subjects for senior study they didnt have a clue (like me) what they wanted to do after school, and then realised they wanted to do something in a field they arent even studying now, however, i think those who did good in a relevant subject should have a better chance over those who didnt do a subject, but did good in a general subject
just my 2 cents

but like elnewb said, we are way off-topic

but i'd like a degree that was just about playing games.. however there is not one, but i agree, people should know what is involved in the course, especially if they are applying for early entry

hilaryslover

HSC
nrs1990 said:
I've got entry into Creative Arts (Creative Writing), so long as my UAI "is appropriate". I'm not exactly sure what that means, or what UAI they're looking for, but I'm not massively worried since I'm looking at high 90's.

I'm still waiting on Law... They said that they'd contact us by today. (Shrugs.) Anyone else heard from the Law Faculty yet?

EDIT: I'm in! Yay! So full of joy...
haha! my god. that is exactly what I'm doing

I got unconditional :]

Law/Creative Arts (Creative Writing)

Oh and they called me up yesterday afternoon saying they were having problems emailing people for law so you might hear on Monday?

Goodluck!

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
For those who got conditional, what kind of conditions were placed on the offer?

HSC
i got three early entry guaranteed spots- maths advanced, maths and finance and commerce
now got to choose between the two maths ones
anyone else get in maths and finance?

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
My friend got a reply from the creative arts, but as far as I know, the Faculty of Arts hasn't sent any out yet.

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
For those who got early entry into law, what were your rankings like?

Mine are
English adv 5/38
EE1 1/9
EE2 1/4
VA 1/14
Maths (2U) 5/38ish (can't remember exactly how many)
Chem 8/22 eeek (I do 12U though)
Legal 2/18

And I still didn't get it. As arrogant as this sounds, I know that I'll get over 90 for my uai, so wtf?

Cheap Thrills

HSC
Re: who got into early entry law at uow?

i applied, still havent heard though. they keep ringing asking about marks which werent on my report, because some of the subjects at my school just dont for some reason i guess...
im waiting nervously though

Last edited:

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Ranks are good, but what were your marks like?

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Js^-1 said:
Ranks are good, but what were your marks like?
You can't base how well a student goes on school marks though. Ie, Top mark for VA at my school was 94, for chem it was in the 70s. VA was an easy test, while chem was hard. also, I can't remember the marks off the top of my head, but they were all pretty decent, especially in comparison to the rest of my class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)