Early Entry (1 Viewer)

emily2005

HSC
N/A
hey besides engeniring and science courses wat other ones are available through this scheme?

DooGseY

HSC
emily2005 said:
hey besides engeniring and science courses wat other ones are available through this scheme?
I don't think the uni has a complete early entry page, every faculty seems to have their own seperate information which makes it kind of hard to see everything offered. According to the 2007 early entry flyer the only courses mentioned are:

Engineering - www.uow.edu.au/eng
Physics - www.uow.edu.au/eng
Indigenous Health - Apply in Writting
Population Health - Apply in Writting
Informatics - www.uow.edu.au/informatics/early_entry.html
Science - www.uow.edu.au/science/earlyentry.html

I'm pretty sure creative arts is also involved with early entry but the information I have doesn't mention it.

Also, closing dates are September 20, so if you're interested you better hurry :)

Aaron06

To Rid The Disease
HSC
Did the interview today.

How do you all think you went?

I did alright I think.

Nervous more than anything. But they knew and we had a joke about it.

n@ttyb

HSC
for nursing their not even doing interviews... its all based on the portfolios we sent in........... so yeah i wonder if thats better

struth

HSC
Yeah, I had mine yesterday. They were really nice people.. just hope their letter is too :p

What did you guys (and gals) apply for?

Aaron06

To Rid The Disease
HSC
Oh yes they were heaps nice. I applied for Environmental Engineering

I went to all the trouble to set up my resume and get references from teachers and they didn't even look at it.

They just wanted to look at the trial results. =[

Although, she did comment on how well I went with science. =]

That was a good thing I hope.

The bad thing was she started talking about other methods of entry. Like I wasn't going to get in with the early entry.

Buttt

oh well. =]

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
I applied for electrical and mechatronic engineering...

I've decided that I'll choose mechatronic over electrical now though....

In both interviews they seemed pretty impressed with my physics and maths marks so I was cheerin about that... because I was a bit worried about it really... it was all pretty positive...

as you said... hope the letter is just as positive!!

Yeah I got my portfolio together spent heaps of time doing it... and nagging at people to write my references and they didn't look at it... but that's alright I guess... Means it ready for if I ever need it again....

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
lol... yeah, they are academics after all. Marks mean the most to them.

I think portfolios would only be important in creative arts and maybe computer science.

N4FE

HSC
I was second up on Thursday for Mechanincal eng.My marks (Unadjusted) are as follows:
- Gen. Maths: 3/60, 84%
-Chemistry: 4/13, 54%
-Biology: 5/26, 63%
-Economics: 6/12, 62%
-Adv. English: 8/36, 75%
-Ext. English: 1/8, 72%
-Legal Studies: 7/18, 52%

I came all the way from Albury, told them how much I loved the area, and they seemed pretty impressed with my English marks. But they suggested maybe doing Materials instead of Mechanical, with my Chemistry and no physics.....

But one of the interviewer's told me she'd hope to see me next year....:)

What's my chances?
How was everybody else's experiences?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
N4FE said:
I was second up on Thursday for Mechanincal eng.My marks (Unadjusted) are as follows:
- Gen. Maths: 3/60, 84%
-Chemistry: 4/13, 54%
-Biology: 5/26, 63%
-Economics: 6/12, 62%
-Adv. English: 8/36, 75%
-Ext. English: 1/8, 72%
-Legal Studies: 7/18, 52%

I came all the way from Albury, told them how much I loved the area, and they seemed pretty impressed with my English marks. But they suggested maybe doing Materials instead of Mechanical, with my Chemistry and no physics.....

But one of the interviewer's told me she'd hope to see me next year....:)

What's my chances?
How was everybody else's experiences?
You've got a pretty good chance.

and whether you do matherial or mechanical, there will be physics in first year :p

If you don't get straight in, you'll probably get something conditional on your maths marks.

N4FE

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
You've got a pretty good chance.

and whether you do matherial or mechanical, there will be physics in first year :p

If you don't get straight in, you'll probably get something conditional on your maths marks.
Cool as....

Now I'm very excited heh :D

On that note, is the 'Oppurtunity Program' worth doing? It seems pretty good for me so far.....

chainedchaos

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
lol... yeah, they are academics after all. Marks mean the most to them.

I think portfolios would only be important in creative arts and maybe computer science.
No way, in my interview for computer science they just flicked through my folio without really looking at it, they just wanted my marks.

I don't do any computer subjects at school though, do you think that will go against me?

struth

HSC
Nice N4FE. I went for Mechanical Engineering on Thursday aswell (had to travel approx 7 hours too) - was about 6 or 7th I think.

They were pretty pleased with my trial marks (even mentioned a scholars program or something), but I didn't get an official UAI estimate for them (so here's hoping that when I said around about an 80 UAI, that I was correct). :O

81% for 2U Maths
60% for 3U Maths
79% for Physics
86% for English
62% for Chem
78% for Economics

Did you have two people interviewing you N4FE?

N4FE

HSC
struth said:
Nice N4FE. I went for Mechanical Engineering on Thursday aswell (had to travel approx 7 hours too) - was about 6 or 7th I think.

They were pretty pleased with my trial marks (even mentioned a scholars program or something), but I didn't get an official UAI estimate for them (so here's hoping that when I said around about an 80 UAI, that I was correct). :O

81% for 2U Maths
60% for 3U Maths
79% for Physics
86% for English
62% for Chem
78% for Economics

Did you have two people interviewing you N4FE?
Top stuff matey.... Looks like I've some pretty stiff competition heh....

Yeah, I had two lecturers, a lady named Pam, and a bloke, whose name has slipped my memory, but he introduced himself as a Mechanical Engineering lecturer.

Did you have a tour of the labs? They were awesome as!

I think the Scholar's program requires a UAI closer to 90? So if that's true, better up that expectation of 80 heh... I mean, I said I wanted 85 and they seemed to agree.....

Last edited:

struth

HSC
I'm interested as to how many people they accept via early entry to each course? Hopefully a fair amount, seeing how there's a massive shortage of engineers at the moment.

Yeah, the labs were awesome!

I stood in particular awe of the mini F1's.

N4FE

HSC
Indeed.

I am also interested in the intake/class sizes and when everyone gets their letters!

Ragetallica

HSC
I went for Civil Engineering.. both interviewers were extremely nice.. I was suprised that they didnt really ask all that many questions except for the ones you'd definately expect (why wollongong, what got you interested etc).. The interview was more of a relaxed talk then a pressure situation.. went fairly well i think.

Blake R-H

HSC
also tried out for civil engineering... pretty happy, got a 25 minute invterview, seemed to go forever lol.

i got decent physic marks (72%), eng studies (75%), but my maths marks werent great (2U - 76%; ext1 - 66%). i didnt do chemistry or biology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)