Early Results (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I am a part time student, working full time. I am only doing two subjects a semester which is about all I can handle at the moment. I am going to do summer school though I think and pick up an extra subject for each semester next year so I can finish my whole accounting major in one year.

So far I have not had a problem with any of my class timetables. I don't know about there being any restrictions on day and night classes for full time and part time students. I have met people in my night lectures and tutes that are full time students and they choose some nights because they have to work also.

I did find ABDB a whole lot easier than ABDA but I got a very high mark in ABDA and I don't know what I got yet for ABDB until Wednesday. In ABDB you get told what you will be tested on for the mid semester and the final and you get practice exams which are almost identical to what you will be tested on. If you understand what they are trying to teach you, you will do extremely well if you find the practice exams easy.
Thank you for sharing your Accounting experience :)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
IBP tutorial for the first two weeks haha
Haha yes Billy :)
To be honest, that was the worst decision of my uni life. I shouldn't have changed classes. My new tutor was horrible and she marked like a b****!
I got like ~HD for everything until the final group assignment and not sure about the exam. My group consisted of one international student who didn't contribute at all, one person who tragically dropped out of uni prior to handing the assignment, one YOLO dude and this hard working law/business student. We applied for special consideration (due to one kid dropping out) and our tutor ignored it. She gave us a low 17/25 for 48 pages of decent group work articulated by me and this law/business student. The feedback was horrible; pessimistic in taste and read:

"Group 4
To take your work to the next level you need to work towards writing with best practice in mind. For example you should try and move away from using the word ‘this’ to start a sentences. You need to write with more clarity and direct purpose. What is “this”? What does “this” mean? If you would like help with your writing I suggest that you see ELSSA as they provide free help. The university also hold free writing courses that can help you develop your academic writing.
You need to make sure that you take the time to read over your work for silly mistakes. There are some silly mistakes and clumsy sentences that could easily be avoided and fixed if you could take the time to read through the report word for word.
Pg 3: Multiple surveys was conducted with a sample number of mothers aged from 30 - 55 to accumulate valuable information.
Should read:
Multiple surveys were conducted with a sample number of mothers aged from 30 - 55 to accumulate valuable information.
Firstly, you have not referred to the correct terminology, second, Suburban Mothers in this case is a name used to describe a target group of people. For this reason you should use capitals.
While this is a report, you must remember that it is still academic work and you must reference and use literature to support your claims and justify why you have chosen particular things for your business.
In order to take your work to the next level, you need to try and move towards the use of more critical literature, this includes the use of scholarly refereed journal articles."

I compared our results with that of other groups and/or students and it appeared that we were marked harshly. With 19/25 being the highest and getting selected for the competition in our class. Out of the 48 pages, she could only criticise us on ONE particular sentence which wasn't reviewed properly. I emailed Melissa (IBP Course Coordinator) explaining our circumstance, and after 2 weeks of debate, she finally agreed to review it – never done before in recent times. The new result was 18.5/25 and her feedback read:

"Whilst the overall business concept is not overly unique there are novel aspects of this business proposal that suggest elements of innovation in terms of the overall business model. The market research whilst limited is well convinced and could be scaled to a larger sample. The particular appeal of this concept is in the marketing channels and this seems timely given the recent populism surrounding celebrity chefs. The mainstream target strategy seems well suited to the target audience. The overall rationale for the concept in relation to the wicked problem is sounds, but could reach deeper into the literature and published reports in this area. The costing fits within the scope of the brief and the limitations of this are acknowledged. Overall a well written and conceived report that does a good job of positioning a somewhat innovative solution to the wicked problem. 18.5/25)”

Melissa is the best and she even agreed with our vision and arguments :)

Last edited:

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah seems like a bitch, should of stayed with indra mate #HD'sallday

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Inconsistent marking is a harsh reality of university. I've had at least one tutor who has marked harsher than other classes each semester. This semester it was some harsh German guy in a subject that was meant to be a bludge (ridiculous final though). He took the marking descriptions very seriously, i.e. a credit is a solid effort and to get a HD it needed to be well beyond expectations. He did some dodgy stuff with cancelling tutes and rushing presentations so we didn't have to come in for the other scheduled presentation tute, we got an email from him saying we had to go into the last tute and we ended up having a sub (learnt so much in that revision tute). Supposedly he no longer works at UTS - good riddance.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Yer, should've :/
Was Himasha in your class?
I changed as the new tute provided a better timetable for me and I didn't like Indra. There's this thing between Indians, they always pick on each other. During the first 2 weeks, I was the one who was always getting picked on for class discussions LOL I didn't feel comfortable as m a reserved person.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Inconsistent marking is a harsh reality of university. I've had at least one tutor who has marked harsher than other classes each semester. This semester it was some harsh German guy in a subject that was meant to be a bludge (ridiculous final though). He took the marking descriptions very seriously, i.e. a credit is a solid effort and to get a HD it needed to be well beyond expectations. He did some dodgy stuff with cancelling tutes and rushing presentations so we didn't have to come in for the other scheduled presentation tute, we got an email from him saying we had to go into the last tute and we ended up having a sub (learnt so much in that revision tute). Supposedly he no longer works at UTS - good riddance.
And that b**** was acting all decent in front of us, until she marked our group assignment behind our backs. Our assignment was pretty similar to one which received a HD last year. Like the concept and everything and we even went beyond the marking criteria and added stuff which wasn't needed like the SWOT analysis. Such a waste of effort -.- It was quite rude to tell us (the entire group) that we needed help with our writing style. It felt like she was mistreating us because we had this international student who couldn't speak English properly. We were offended, particularly the Business/Law student LOL
But things turned out well, and I hope she gets out of UTS for the better. Everyone else was brilliant I have to say, particularly Jonathon Tyler who even gave me personal advice whilst contemplating job offers!

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Speaking in terms of majors for Business, what are you considering Brent?

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
I changed as the new tute provided a better timetable for me and I didn't like Indra. There's this thing between Indians, they always pick on each other. During the first 2 weeks, I was the one who was always getting picked on for class discussions LOL I didn't feel comfortable as m a reserved person.
haha yeah himasha was in my class, you should of stayed, it was alright

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Speaking in terms of majors for Business, what are you considering Brent?
Management was the original plan, but I really can't be bothered with that. I'm thinking finance now. If I swap to part time permanently I'm possibly a couple of years off having to select my business major lol.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
haha yeah himasha was in my class, you should of stayed, it was alright
yeah, should've.. was the biggest idiot to change to a tute that was 10 am in the morning (before lecture)
Most of the time I was ~10mins late to class as I live in Casula, took me 1.5hrs to get there and she kept saying 'If people keep turning late to class, I'll start to deduce marks. I mean wtf.. can't she even understand my situation. I have to wake up at 6am in the morning to get there, fml :(

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Management was the original plan, but I really can't be bothered with that. I'm thinking finance now. If I swap to part time permanently I'm possibly a couple of years off having to select my business major lol.
I was thinking of management, but tbh the future of management looks bleak. I mean the salary is great, but far less graduate positions are available. Unless you start as a junior and slowly climb up the ladder - gona take years. Human Resource - same story. I heard that Marketing is booming atm, but start-up salary is low and no room for growth unless you're aiming for big $$ (Marketing Director etc)...
Economics seems decent, but too hard I've heard! Plus you need like an honours to get jobs.
I was also thinking of either Finance or Accounting!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I never intended on getting a management job per se, was just meant to complement my other degree and maybe serve partially as an alternative to an MBA. Marketing sounds like it's going to very saturated soon, and is not the type of thing i'm interested in.

Last edited:

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
does himasha use this forum?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Rooms for lectures + tutorials are shown now.

God damn, gotta walk from Building 5 to Building 2 without any gaps for Accounting A (my first time doing this subject)
Join the accounting group (y), it will be of great help. There's a few hundred members.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)