• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Earth Hour should be grounded (1 Viewer)

Do you support it? + (Global Warming eco-warriors?)

• Yes because I'm Kwayera

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • no

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • :)

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • maybe

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Gay Captain

HSC
After all of Al Gore's carrying on last year is it possible to create any more awareness?

HSC
N/A
aliyosufi said:
if you turn your lights off during earth hour you will not save electricity but i fact waste it
that is my point.
just because you dont use it doesnt mean it wont be produced and if everyone in the world turned off their lights for 1 hour it will not make a diffrence to global warming
in fact humans are he biggest contributors to co2 in the atmosphere through constant exhaling of carbon dioxide, we contribute 90% of all co2 by breathing, and 95% of all greenhouse gases are released by nature(including human exhaling), manmade greenhouse gas accounts for a tiny proportion of all greenhouse gas so if you think turning your lights of for ONE hour makes a diffrence well have fun doing nothing for an hour.
ps. GLOBAL WARMING IS INEVITABLE
Do you even know what you're talking about? As far back as humans have existed, they have had the ability to breathe, and the effects of global warming have been showing fairly recently in comprison to the length of human existence.
Also, the greenhouse effect in itself is not the problem, because it's essential for life on earth - rather the enhanced greenhouse effect is the problem that has contributed to global warming and hence climate change, and that has only started since the industrial revolution, and gotten steadily worse.

Earth hour will have very little impact in the grand scheme of all this, but I guess the passivity and the relative simplicity of the protest, and the little effect on our daily life makes people feel like they're doing something. I guess that's the basic aim of it all.

boris

Banned
HSC
aliyosufi said:
The human population 200 years ago was.........
2007....... almost 7 billion
theres a big diffrence in population therefore co2 emissions
Fuck you and go and read up on ice core samples from 10,000 years ago and natural variation. Especially read up on natural variation. Make the term your friend.

You might be suprised to learn that temperatures we're facing now are not the hottest it has ever been :) Nor the most turbulant.

Fuck hippies. Seriously. Fuck them.

boris

Banned
HSC
Gay Captain said:
fucking country hicks who don't believe in global warming :mad:
Sif man, I did a semester of Earth Science. My degree was full of hippies, who despite being told to the contrary WERE CONVINCED THE EARTH WAS ABOUT TO IMPLODE.

My Earth System Processes lecturer was hot, so if he says it's a crock of shit, who am I to argue?

boris

Banned
HSC
theshortykatt said:
It's true. We had no less than 5 experts tell us that human contribution to weather variation was minimal, but because it was an Earth Science degree it was full of hippies who were convinced our lecturers were being paid by the Howard government to downplay global warming.

Idiots.

Gay Captain

HSC
Isn't there a massive global consensus of scientists that humans are heating the earth?

boris

Banned
HSC
Gay Captain said:
Isn't there a massive global consensus of scientists that humans are heating the earth?
Depends who you ask. Quite literally.

Some argue we are directly responsible. Only problem is, some of them use data from the last 30-50 years to show the earth is heating.
Other scientists use ice core samples and other means over 10,000 years to determine heat and other factors, and have concluded humans arent directly responsible.

boris

Banned
HSC
Gay Captain said:
News Ltd journalists don't count :D
Um.
ARE YOU SAYING I SHOULDN'T TAKE EVERYTHING I READ ON NEWS.COM.AU AT FACE VALUE?

Gay Captain

HSC
boris said:
Um.
ARE YOU SAYING I SHOULDN'T TAKE EVERYTHING I READ ON NEWS.COM.AU AT FACE VALUE?
I MEAN TO IMPLY THAT THE MURDOCHITLER PRESS IS POISONING YOUR MIND

or something

HSC
N/A
aliyosufi said:
The human population 200 years ago was.........
2007....... almost 7 billion
theres a big diffrence in population therefore co2 emissions
There has also been a global boom in businesses since then. I think the effects of that are far greater than the population jump in terms of its effects on the environment.

Greenhouse gases come from natural sources and human activity; present CO2 levels are 380 ppmv, approximately 100 ppmv higher than they were in pre-industrial times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas

hairspray

HSC
i support earth hour but looking outside... most of my neighbours has their lights turned on... ><''

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
boris said:
You might be suprised to learn that temperatures we're facing now are not the hottest it has ever been :) Nor the most turbulant.
Not true. They aren't the hottest temperatures that humans have ever seen, but they are the hottest temperatures this generation has seen. And since a great deal of the population of the earth seems to live in areas which would be badly affected by global warming, it seems to make sense to do something about it.

Foo.

Nurse Clancy

Banned
HSC
You people need to relax.

I love summer, and the hot temperatures have been great for my tanning.

Stop taking yourself so seriously. The world isn't going to end, gosh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)